2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
LED headlights

So the other day I passed a fit that obviously had led headlights and now I'm thinking about changing mine out. I've never done this before and tried looking around for solid recommendations. Are there any out there for our cars that are really good? Low and high beams, not offensive to other drivers? I'm assuming they're pretty easy to change out? I know my Acura TL the entire front bumper has to be removed to change the bulbs.
Or should I just stick with the stock halogens because changing to LEDs in our cars isn't a great idea? Thanks

Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
On my GK, I replaced the halogens with this set: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...1398&year=2015

Everything was plug-in play and I didn't need to re-aim. I marked the beam pattern on my garage before and after and it was spot on. No cars have flashed me so I'm assuming it's not blinding them.

I think those bulbs are compatible with GEs too.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
On my GK, I replaced the halogens with this set: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...1398&year=2015

Everything was plug-in play and I didn't need to re-aim. I marked the beam pattern on my garage before and after and it was spot on. No cars have flashed me so I'm assuming it's not blinding them.

I think those bulbs are compatible with GEs too.
Just from looking at their comparison photos, I think they're bad actually. If you look at the halogen shot, the cut-off is practically flat on both sides, but on the LED, not only does it go up on the right (which actually goes with the H4 spec for LHD/RHT), it goes up on the left. And for us, that's oncoming traffic.

You want it as flat as possible (least on the oncoming traffic side)... this review on Amazon shows how the LED kit I bought mimics the halogen in being flat on both sides.The product is no longer available in that link, nor does the product image match what I got. The one in this link matches what I got (just the customer image of the beam isn't obvious since its coming from a motorcycle at an angle).

There's another difference between the two shots from superbrightleds, but that one is a bit iffy. The difference is the hot spot. With the halogen, the hotspot is more intense compared to the area around it. But it's much more "blended" for the LED. For the halogen, it indicates the light will shine further down the road, than it would to the side. For the LED, it indicates it would shine more evenly. An even spread is nice, but I would think you'd want it to shine as far down the road so you can see more ahead of you. But the reason I say the difference is iffy is... obviously, you could just make the whole thing shine even brighter, even if the "hot spot" blends more.

That said, with the left side shining upwards (at oncoming traffic), you're now limited on how much brighter you can make it.

~~~~~

As for actual recommendations... honestly, I rather avoid recommending anything in general. Would I buy the one I linked to from Amazon, again? Sure. It fulfills most, if not all the criteria I have for it (good flat cut-off, brightness, life span and pricing). But, that's just me.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
You can try upgrading to a better halogen also like UltraStars

Old 11-23-2019, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marc Papa
So the other day I passed a fit that obviously had led headlights and now I'm thinking about changing mine out. I've never done this before and tried looking around for solid recommendations. Are there any out there for our cars that are really good? Low and high beams, not offensive to other drivers? I'm assuming they're pretty easy to change out? I know my Acura TL the entire front bumper has to be removed to change the bulbs.
Or should I just stick with the stock halogens because changing to LEDs in our cars isn't a great idea? Thanks
Dont use led bulbs. Your housing is designed for halogen bulbs.
If you use aftermarker LED bulbs, you will be scattering light in wrong directions - blinding oncoming drivers and getting less light for yourself as well.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
I just changed to Sylvania H11 FogVision lamps (halogens) in my fog lights ('11 Sport AT). Noticeable change on edge to edge coverage of roadway. Over the years, my attempts with +/- 4000 deg K LEDs to get the yellow spectrum failed several times: outright lamp electronic driver failure and/or LED diode placement versus the internal shrouding in the FIT fog light assembly negatively impacted roadway coverage.

Moral of the story is the vehicle light housings / reflectors are designed for that 'hot spot' to be at a particular spot, anything else doesn't perform as well.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
I’ve been running LED bulbs in my headlights since I got it, the beam pattern is perfect and I’ve never been flashed by anyone for glare. If you buy good quality led bulbs like Phillips or Piaa you will have better luck than the Chinese ones. I’ve noticed a lot of the Chinese bulbs are all the same and just come with an adapter ring that fits the head light, a lot of people end up putting the bulbs in upside down so you’re basically running high beams all the time. Manufactures are making leaps and bounds with led tech every day to replicate halogen beams as close as they can.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
cutsheal5: Well? What bulbs are you running? Don't let us hanging.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
I honestly don’t remember I bought them years ago I did a ton of research on them before purchasing they were not cheap. The output on them is great you can actually see where the light stops on the road similar to a projector when on low beam I’ve been very satisfied with them and I do 90% dark country road driving every day. That being said I’m sure there are better ones than mine now

Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
The 'here's the brand / model that worked for me' is the benefit of being on a forum like this.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...el-101flb.html

I've used IPF on GK5 and it works great. They just release a newer version with better LED chip