2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rebuild or replace lower arms/bushes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Rebuild or replace lower arms/bushes?

I need to fix a clunking rattle coming from what sounds like the stabilizer bar rubber bushes. Inspection showed the ball joint boot(s) were split and tie rod boots too. The car has 136K miles, 09 base w/auto trans. Chances are the other insert bushings in the lower arms are also split/worn out or could be the cause of the noise. Steering and alignment are still good.

I got a quote from a dealer service advisor (Brandon Honda in Tampa, FL to call a spade a spade) that was more like being raped. To replace the lower arms, tie rod ends, stab. bar bushes, sway bar links, alignment and adjust valves (asked about that too) I was quoted over $3,400. I have a copy of the quote for laughs. 200-300% markup on parts/labor. I'll add the paper copy shortly after I'm done venting.

Just who the ---- do these vampires think they are?! They must have balls the size of pumpkins and think they're actually going to peddle this on people. I took the time later and priced each part online from www.hondapartsunlimited.com. Far, far below what I was quoted.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what really needs to be done (and to hell with having it done at any dealer dept!). Some of the parts and work req'd are above my tools and abilities to do on jackstands in the driveway. So I need to determine what parts to replace without just throwing parts at it or taking some guy's word/estimate before I sign anything.

Last edited by gkitf16; 11-03-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Torn boots = replace now. They will go to poop in no time. Sway bar links are easy unless you’re in the rust belt then they might put up a fight.

Tie rod ends are a breeze, and control arm isn’t much worse. I don’t know for sure but the ball joint is probably integral meaning you have to replace the whole arm. It was on my odyssey. Fit hasn’t needed them yet.

Youre looking at maybe $200 in parts per side if you buy them online, and an afternoons work each side if you have tools and can follow some how to videos or something.

for sure take it to a local non-dealer for work. You can get a way better price. Dealers make all their money on service. They are going to charge you full labor hours for each job even though doing links, tie rod and control arm all at once will take the time of just one job. A local shop will for sure give you a better deal on labor and parts.

Last edited by punx45; 11-03-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by punx45
Torn boots = replace now. They will go to poop in no time.
Doesn't replacement of torn boots require axle removal, and isn't that a pain in the tush for a driveway mechanic? I ask as a driveway mechanic, not as an expert.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Doesn't replacement of torn boots require axle removal, and isn't that a pain in the tush for a driveway mechanic? I ask as a driveway mechanic, not as an expert.
No, you can separate the ball joint from the spindle without having to touch the CV. I'm going to PM you the service manual, on page 18-12 it details removal.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
I was quoted over $3,400. I have a copy of the quote for laughs. 200-300% markup on parts/labor.
WTF!!!! That is ridiculous!!!!

That stuff can all be done in the driveway and some things like sway bar end links are not crucial they just keep the front end tighter.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I'm gun-shy after a few negative experiences dealer-wise. Most of the time I've gotten parts from Rockauto, I hear Moog is good quality. However, I might lean more toward OEM parts on this situation. Several on-line dealer parts sites such as:
http://www.bkhonda.com
https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com
are within a couple $ of each other
$183 R $180 L lower arms
If you get it from Rockauto you have a choice of Mevotech, Beck Arnley (appears to made by Moog on their site) or ACDelco, about $79 each side. How these compare quality-wise to OEM I don't know. Balljoint is included. If you go to Moog's site there are 2 varieties of lower arms for the 09 Fit shown on their site. One is the RK style $69, the other is $88. Can't tell the diff. between them or performance/durability vs OEM
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...honda_fit_2009
Your thoughts?

Old 11-03-2019, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Moog is good stuff (used to be haven't bough it in a while). Some stuff that is half the price last half as long. If you get 100k miles out of a OE ball joint the moog might go 50k but cost half as much and you have to do the work twice.

Some questions to ask yourself:

How many miles do you do a year?
How are the roads you frequent?
How long are you going to keep the car?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Insane repair estimate

[QUOTE=GolNat;1438713]Moog is good stuff (used to be haven't bought it in a while). Some stuff that is half the price la

sts half as long. If you get 100k miles out of an OE ball joint the Moog might go 50k but cost half as much and you have to do the work twice.

Some questions to ask yourself:

How many miles do you do a year? About 15,000
How are the roads you frequent? Average, speed bumps to get to my home in gated community
How long are you going to keep the car? Probably another 2-4 yrs

Old 11-04-2019, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly, with some confidence and maybe a buddy that is a bit more car savvy with a wrench, most of this can be knocked out in no time with little money.

Replaced my sway bar end links at 443k. Was super easy. Inner and outer tie rods were replaced at 428k (one outer again at 483k - the car goes through some hell-ish roads), all with Moog by the way. Fit has 526k now.

Replacing my lower arm very soon, which only cost me $70ish for a Beck/Arnley replacement from Rockauto. Doing that myself too.

Buddy at a Honda dealer is doing my valve adjustment and plugs soon, might throw in an alignment if its thrown off from the lower arm swap...

Forget paying a dealer $3k to do all of that nonsense.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by julianachos
Honestly, with some confidence and maybe a buddy that is a bit more car savvy with a wrench, most of this can be knocked out in no time with little money.
I have done valve adjustments and plugs. Don't know if I could do a clutch (probably not). And electrical is a dark mystery to me.

Also, I am an apartment dweller. My living situation is similar to that of your average galley slave. I have to drive an hour just to get to a
do-it-yourself garage.

I admire what you're doing, Julian. And your enthusiasm for driving all over hell and gone is right out of my playbook.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I have done valve adjustments and plugs. Don't know if I could do a clutch (probably not). And electrical is a dark mystery to me.

Also, I am an apartment dweller. My living situation is similar to that of your average galley slave. I have to drive an hour just to get to a
do-it-yourself garage.

I admire what you're doing, Julian. And your enthusiasm for driving all over hell and gone is right out of my playbook.
As crazy as it sounds, I've personally never done a valve adjustment. Just watched really. I know its easy, but it's now getting cold and my buddy works at a dealer. I don't really wanna do it in the cold in the middle of a culdesac.

Clutch was fairly easy. This last time, the trans was out within an hour and a half. I can knock it out in about four hours at a reasonable pace. Only used air tools for the suspension components haha. If you were local, I'd help you out with that if the time came. My friend ten minutes away was nice enough to lend me his garage for a few days while his non running car stayed outside. Only reason why it was there for three days was because the clutch never came in on time and then I had to replace a starter, which wasn't a fun process when rust is involved.

I'm glad I can be a decent influence towards other people.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Parts list

So I sat down and looked up OEM parts online. I was seeing the best prices with Hondafactoryparts.com. Altogether, if I go that route, about $620 for both lower arms, replacement bolts for them, inner and outer tie rod ends, dust bellows, band/clips, and stabilizer bar bushings. Then I need to have a shop install, alignment, let's say another $500. I'm considering aftermarket as well, however, especially the lower arms, how good will they be compared to OEM? How critical is it with the tie rod ends? I'm thinking Moog, but I am unfamiliar with quality vs. crap parts brand-wise.

Attached Files
File Type: xls
Parts List.xls (11.0 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by gkitf16; 11-13-2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Additional information added