2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Brake Parts Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Brake Parts Lubricant

To lubricate the caliper pins:

Honda Service Manual indicates Honda Part 08C30-B0-234M

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honda-08C...SABEgJErfD_BwE

I have some Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant that is a little cheaper.

Amazon Amazon

If I am not be able to remove all of the old lubricant from the caliper bracket, will these two products be compatible?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
You could probably use brake cleaner to clean off the old lube.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I would think brake cleaner or WD40 would get it off.

Not sure about them being able to be mixed though.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Brakleen, a wire brush, and 'elbow grease' always works for me. I especially go after those areas where the brake pad slides in / out on the brace / bracket. Rust / dirt / grime build up there. Some brake systems and rebuild kits have thin high polished shims / slide surfaces that help keep everything loose and moving (slide when applying brakes and release sufficiently afterwards when you let off the brakes). Make sure you keep using those if available.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
To lubricate the caliper pins:

Honda Service Manual indicates Honda Part 08C30-B0-234M

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honda-08C...SABEgJErfD_BwE

I have some Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant that is a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2412...a-571820984777

If I am not be able to remove all of the old lubricant from the caliper bracket, will these two products be compatible?

I'm not sure if you're saying you're going to lubricate the slide pins with the purple ceramic paste, but If you are, DON"T. That will turn to a rock. The purple stuff is as shown for on the pad. If you're looking for something to lubricate the slider pins then buy some 3M clear silicone paste.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-08-2019, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
@Rob H: It says that it is appropriate for all brake parts, and the Amazon link even shows a picture of it being used on the pins. While it is thick in the bottle, but that is at room temperature.

Even so, please link me to the 3M product.

EDIT: While I know that youtube is not the Holy Bible, this guys uses the Permatex --->.

SECOND EDIT: And this guy says that some caliper lubricant will swell the rubber bushings, so he may support your view to avoid the Permatex.

Last edited by Mister Coffee; 10-09-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
@spike55_bmw: Talking about caliper pins and the holes that they go into. Ain't no wire brush and elbow grease that's going to work in there.

Last edited by Mister Coffee; 10-09-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
@Goobers: Rather not use brake cleaner on rubber boots (the pins have rubber boots on the end).

Old 10-08-2019, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can separate the rubber boot from the slide pin... as a quick lookup at Bernardi parts shows the boot is replaceable.

And you can also find a wire brush that’ll fit. Something like a small bottle brush, heck even a straw brush. A quick google here show some suggestions on using a slightly smaller than the hole drill bit, by hand. Though I suppose if you can keep it straight, you might be able to power through it.

Those same google results actually suggest replacing the rubber boot when cleaning the guide pins.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
You can separate the rubber boot from the slide pin... as a quick lookup at Bernardi parts shows the boot is replaceable.
I saw that in a video. Does Bernardi's sell boot replacements?[/QUOTE]

And you can also find a wire brush that’ll fit. Something like a small bottle brush, heck even a straw brush. A quick google here show some suggestions on using a slightly smaller than the hole drill bit, by hand. Though I suppose if you can keep it straight, you might be able to power through it.
I saw the video of the guy with the drill bit. I'm coming to agree with you about finding a wire brush and cleaning the brake bracket and pin hole carefully.

Those same google results actually suggest replacing the rubber boot when cleaning the guide pins.
I did not see that suggestion unless the boot was damaged. However, the Honda Service Manual does recommend lubing the boot with silicone grease.

Thanks for your posts in this thread.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
I saw that in a video. Does Bernardi's sell boot replacements?
Unfortunately, Bernardi does not sell the boot by itself. It's only sold as part of two caliper sets. One set is the full caliper, bracket and all. The other "set" is rubber boots, rings, washers and grease to "rebuild" a caliper. The rebuild set is kinda pricey at $28 or so (part # 01463-S2A-010).

That said, you can try other shops... Advanced Auto or Autozone (boot-only or with more hardware). Or more google listings.

I did not see that suggestion unless the boot was damaged. However, the Honda Service Manual does recommend lubing the boot with silicone grease.

Thanks for your posts in this thread.
It turns out, out of the google results I got, only one really suggests replacing the boot "anyway," since you're there. But, considering the Autozone hardware kit, it looks like it's pretty inexpensive to do it every time you change the pads.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
@Rob H: It says that it is appropriate for all brake parts, and the Amazon link even shows a picture of it being used on the pins. While it is thick in the bottle, but that is at room temperature.

Even so, please link me to the 3M product.

EDIT: While I know that youtube is not the Holy Bible, this guys uses the Permatex --->.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlPvRa3_KGo .

SECOND EDIT: And this guy says that some caliper lubricant will swell the rubber bushings, so he may support your view to avoid the Permatex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSF4cyBK9c

Use the Amazon link below.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Rob H; 10-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
^^Thanks, Goobers. That info is super-helpful.

The boots on our cars are thin and fragile-looking, but as long as they are not damaged, I will not change them out.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
^^Thanks, Rob H. That 3M product looks right, and I have bookmarked it.

I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about this stupid silicone grease issue, so I may just go with the (incredibly expensive) Honda product. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Note: I could find zero moly paste on the shelves in the retail stores in my area. Which is amazing to me. So, I ordered Honda's moly paste. This is for use on the shims, not the caliper pins.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
@spike55_bmw: Talking about caliper pins and the holes that they go into. Ain't no wire brush and elbow grease that's going to work in there.
I get what you're saying, but don't forget those areas too.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
I think you can take out the pins and they will have quite a lot of grease on them. Don’t think it’s necessary to get 100% out of the boot. Dig in with a disposable chopstick or something, wipe the pin clean then relubricate.

I just bought silicone grease for the slide pins, and brake lube (permatex) for the pad clips (I’m having dragging issues and think the pads are not as free as they should be). I did NOT get 3m grease — wanted to, but for some reason that only ships Prime ground and would take over a week, so I chose a well reviewed option that would come overnight.

Last edited by fujisawa; 10-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I get what you're saying, but don't forget those areas too.

I'm changing my thinking on this . . . and coming to agree with you. I've got Honda's moly paste, and I've order their silicone grease. Now, I just have to assemble some suitable brushes, q-tips, brake cleaner, etc.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I just use o’rileys caliper grease for all of it.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Bore brushes work wonders in the slider channels.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by punx45
Bore brushes work wonders in the slider channels.
Thanks, pun. I'm still shopping for brushes. Link me if you know of some good ones.