2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

AC Delco Syncromesh

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
AC Delco Syncromesh

So almost 3 years ago I picked up a Fit base 5mt with 38k on the clock, I now have close to 60k and 30% until my next oil change and plan on changing out the mt fluid. I also have a 05 Acura TL 6mt in which I used AC Delco Syncromesh friction modified trans fluid in and it worked great. Has anyone used it in their Fit and if so how were the results?

Old 09-08-2019, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
This stuff does wonder in Honda 6-speed trannies (use it in my S2000 and V6 Accord).

Never heard of any benefits from using it in any Honda 5-speed transmissions...

I would stick with Honda MTF (as I used during 19 years in my recently sold 2000 Civic)

Old 09-08-2019, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
@Frenzal: You are drawing a distinction, for the purposes of transmission fluid selection, between 5-speed and 6-speed manual transmissions? I feel like somebody hit me across the temples with a stickball bat. Please explain your reasoning.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM stuff is the best stuff, and it being as cheap for a bottle of it as it is, why not just use that?

Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
@Frenzal: You are drawing a distinction, for the purposes of transmission fluid selection, between 5-speed and 6-speed manual transmissions? I feel like somebody hit me across the temples with a stickball bat. Please explain your reasoning.
Just what I experienced with Honda 5-speed and 6-speed trannies... The syncromesh really helps the feeling in my Accord and S2000 (both 6-speed). Since I never had any problem with Honda MTF in a 5-speed, I always stuck with the Honda MTF. There is no other explanation!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I've used syncromesh on B and D series transmissions before. Don't see why it'd be any different for ours'.

Next fluid change, I'm considering running a mixture of the Honda MTF and some sort of syncromesh.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
@Julianachos: An MTF cocktail? Maybe a little salt around the rim and a slice of lime?

Kidding aside, I'm not an expert on this, and I look forward to your results.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Synchromesh is slightly thicker and has more modifiers. Generally, people use them in high mileage transmissions and you feel better/cleaner shifting on warn synchros and sleeves. there should be zero reasons to use it on a 60k miles transmission.

the general rule of thumb is... use the fluid recommended by your differential manufacturer. In this case that would be Honda, and they recommend 1.3 quarts (I think) of Honda MTF.

if you went to an aftermarket differential, say Mfactory, they would want you to use Torco MTF or RTF depending on if its a plate or helical diff...

having running a hand full of Hondas from 40k miles to +250k miles... I stick with Honda MTF on the Honda schedule. I was even running a 240k mile LS trans for a while in the track car on standard Honda MTF with no issues.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JMURACN
Synchromesh is slightly thicker and has more modifiers. Generally, people use them in high mileage transmissions and you feel better/cleaner shifting on warn synchros and sleeves. there should be zero reasons to use it on a 60k miles transmission.

the general rule of thumb is... use the fluid recommended by your differential manufacturer. In this case that would be Honda, and they recommend 1.3 quarts (I think) of Honda MTF.

if you went to an aftermarket differential, say Mfactory, they would want you to use Torco MTF or RTF depending on if its a plate or helical diff...

having running a hand full of Hondas from 40k miles to +250k miles... I stick with Honda MTF on the Honda schedule. I was even running a 240k mile LS trans for a while in the track car on standard Honda MTF with no issues.
In my 05 TL it had problems right out of the factory with a 3rd gear grind and pop out....... Apparently a common Acura/Honda problem. The fix for it was AC Delco SM. It worked so well in my Acura, was just wondering if anyone ran it on this car. I know my shifts when winter cold catch from time to time.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM
I would raise all sorts trouble if my factory fresh car had a 3rd gear pop out. And I sure wouldn't let the repair be SM.

3rd gear pop out is a common problem but not in new cars... its usually in older cars well into the +100k miles. I have only ever seen worn sleeves and synchros as the cause. SM is only covering up the real issue. Its also associated with worn motor mounts and being in 3rd gear, going on and off throttle, and the momentum of a rocking motor speeds up the issue. if your mounts are worn too much it will actually cause a synchro failure symptom...

I know plenty of people that run SM to "fix" the issue and it will last a while... but eventually you will need to rebuild it. and to me its easier to pull the trans and throw in a synchrotech rebuild kit and not worry about the trans anymore.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
^^
It is really a problem in many Honda/Acura with the 6-speed. As it is random, never been able to get it fixed by the dealer. Many people are really satisfied with the result of using the SM. My Accord is now almost 15 YO and still drives the same way it did when new. Since using SM, never had another problem with grind/pop out/difficult to shift in 3rd gear.

But this is just my experience.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
@JMURACN: Good posts, hombre. Hope you stick around.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Any of the GM Syncromesh should work well in the Fit... I've used that in my 240sx.

In my Prelude 5spd I run Royal Purple Max Gear 80W-90. (Its a bit heavy for cold weathers, hard to shift when sitting out in the cold until after it warms up, then it shifts fine. Its more suited for the power it has.) I personally never tried the GM Syncromesh on my Prelude. When I first got the Prelude, it had the notorious 5th gear grind, and over time the Royal Purple 80w-90 fixed that grind, it stopped over time.

On my Fit I think it is still on the OEM fill from the factory at 68K miles on the clock. Currently it shifts smooth as if the car is new.. which is new to me only being a few weeks into ownership. I plan to switch it out to an Amsoil 75w-90 Gear oil at a later point in time.

Last edited by mykizism; 09-13-2019 at 05:56 PM.