2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Noisy Idler pulley (pretty sure)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Noisy Idler pulley (pretty sure)

Hi SOunds like an idler pulley.... making noise..... bearing....

about 120k on an 09 fit five speed with AC....

ANything I should know about pulling it out?

Does this have an auto tensioner?

I have not done one of these ...... this will be the first....

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated....
thanks , Just

Old 08-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Just to add for clarity

This would be the auto tensioner for the serpentine belt...

Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have the Fit here so don't know if your car has the auto tensioner or a manual screw adjustment at the alternator so can't be much help.

**Be very careful looking at belts with engine running as it is easy to lose a finger or worse.

Maybe this helps. You can look under engine>charging system>drive belt auto tensioner inspection.

Honda Jazz / Honda Fit GE8 2009 onwards Online Repair Manual

On cars in general, often if belt tensioner is wonky, you can see belt bouncing up and down (near tensioner) when the car is running. With belt off there are tell tales spring is weak or busted (easier to tell if you have seen this type of tensioner before). If idler pulley is bad, oil may be splayed out (but that gets washed off by rain sometimes). For example, Bad alternator bearing indicated by pulley turning with noise and wobbly (remove belt to tell). Also inspect belt for cracking, wear, etc. On some cars you can remove the belt completely and run car for ONLY a few seconds to confirm noise is from belt system (not sure if you can do that on the Fit!!)

I would not replace parts until you know what is the problem.

Sorry can't help more but this is a start. There are a few videos on YouTube under Fit / Jazz. There may be differences with older 2007 model, cars without AC, cars without power steering, right-hand drive etc. . .

Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
Having replaced my auto tensioner a little while back, I can tell you that if your noise sounds like grinding, you can most likely just take the tensioner out, and have the bearings repacked.

I didn't do that, I just straight up replaced the whole thing.

I don't have any tip/trick to mention, other than, don't try to remove or install the auto tensioner with the belt in place.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
To prove / disprove, I always shoot some WD40 on to the center hub of that pulley, let it soak in and then restart the engine. If the sound goes away = pulley bearing is dry. Most of the time, I don't replace the pulley because it seems that the WD40 loosens up whatever grease is still in there and 'wets' the bearing surfaces again.

Granted this doesn't repair a damaged bearing and that you can only do this some many times before you have to replace but, for me, I spray them in multiple vehicles 1 / yr as part of my preventative maintenance program (very informal).

Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member