2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Unknown Cold-Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 PM
Unknown Cold-Start Issue

I bought a 2011 Fit 1 year ago with ~157,000 miles. The car now has ~178,000 miles.

Every morning when I start my car one of two things happens.1) Long cranking time (about 4-5 seconds--which is "normal" according to the shop manual). 2) 1-2 second crank with a sputter start as if the engine is not getting enough fuel. This started to occur last winter so I got rid of the 151r battery and put in a 26r. The problem subsided until about a month ago. This problem only occurs after the car has sat overnight.

Since it is now summer and my CCAs are good, I'm guessing this is not a battery issue. One Honda mechanic here in town says he has seen the fuel pressure regulators go bad on these cars -- allowing for fuel to leak back into the tank. Another Honda mechanic told me the fuel pumps themselves last a very long time.

Does anyone have experience with this? I have tried holding the gas pedal down / using starter fluid while cranking the engine and neither seems to help. Trying to fix this before getting stranded.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM
I have a friend with the same issue in his GE - I'm surprised no one else has dealt with it!

If you cycle the key on for ~5 seconds a few times before starting it (allowing the fuel pump to run), does it start up normally?

Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by petelite
I have a friend with the same issue in his GE - I'm surprised no one else has dealt with it!

If you cycle the key on for ~5 seconds a few times before starting it (allowing the fuel pump to run), does it start up normally?
Yes, if I cycle the key 4-5 times for 5 seconds each I can hear the pump run and the engine turns over a bit easier. The car will not start normally no matter what I do though.

What did your friend end up doing?

Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
My 09 takes a little longer to start after changing the fuel filter.

One possible cause is the system not holding fuel pressure after the car is shutoff.
Meaning the pump is fine, but something is causing the pressure not to hold.
Likely as you say the fuel pressure regulator, which is all part of the same apparatus in the gas tank (filter, pump, regulator, etc).

There is a fuel pressure test you can do. I haven't done it, but I think the little test fitting is on the firewall. Basically you measure the pressure when the car is running and watch what happens to the pressure in the next 10+ minutes after you shut it off.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by SiXiam
My 09 takes a little longer to start after changing the fuel filter.

One possible cause is the system not holding fuel pressure after the car is shutoff.
Meaning the pump is fine, but something is causing the pressure not to hold.
Likely as you say the fuel pressure regulator, which is all part of the same apparatus in the gas tank (filter, pump, regulator, etc).

There is a fuel pressure test you can do. I haven't done it, but I think the little test fitting is on the firewall. Basically you measure the pressure when the car is running and watch what happens to the pressure in the next 10+ minutes after you shut it off.
Yes, this sounds like what could be going on. The pressure test sounds like what I should do next.

Thanks for the advice.