2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to remove plastic pins?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:15 PM
How to remove plastic pins?

Hey! i have a 2010 Fit sport Automatic. Two questions: I need to get those pesky plastic screw like "snaps" out to remove my splash guard (only way to get to 3rd gear pressure switch on tranny). What tool do I need to buy? Second, I need to get into the cabin air intake above the hood and below the windshield. Again, what tool will remove those "snaps?"

UPDATE: They are called "clips," and there is a removal tool often sold with them. Now I just need to figure size, AND make sure i get the correct style of "Clip." Is there a good parts map available online?

Cheers,
Mark
Eugene, Oregon

Last edited by MarkJH; 07-03-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by MarkJH
Hey! i have a 2010 Fit sport Automatic. Two questions: I need to get those pesky plastic screw like "snaps" out to remove my splash guard (only way to get to 3rd gear pressure switch on tranny). What tool do I need to buy? Second, I need to get into the cabin air intake above the hood and below the windshield. Again, what tool will remove those "snaps?"

UPDATE: They are called "clips," and there is a removal tool often sold with them. Now I just need to figure size, AND make sure i get the correct style of "Clip." Is there a good parts map available online?

Cheers,
Mark
Eugene, Oregon

i bought one of these from china ebay about a year ago...and surprisingly none of them have broke yet. especially usefull for removing dash trim pieces/vents etc. harbor freight sells something similar. every thing ive come across on the fit that is trim/clip related has
come off with either this or a thin standard screwdriver.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Throw away car.. Purchase new one
. Only way to be sure lol.

No you will break some of them for sure but you can minimize by using the trim tools and doing it when the trim is warm ie summer. Cold plastic is brittle.

Cars are designed for cheap assembly these days, it just doesn't make sense to use screws or whatever in these locations.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Which clips?

Okay so I see the clip pull tools (thanks all). Now, is there an opinion on what clips to buy? If they are often a one use item, do people just buy the cheap clips online, or does anyone actually purchase the oem or is there an equivalent. My oem splash guard clips have a metal part - the cheap online ones seem all plastic. Does it really matter? Also, I have some interior clips to pull out, a few are gray. Cheers!

Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Are you talking about the added splash guards or the plastic wheel well covers. I'm interested to know your experience pulling the covers off as I would like to throw some dynamat behind there