2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EPS overload protection getting triggered when parallel parking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:52 AM
EPS overload protection getting triggered when parallel parking?

Hi, I have a Honda Jazz 2008 Gli 1.3 GE (MY09) and I notice that the steering wheel becomes hard to turn when I do the following parallel parking maneuver:

1. Position beside the car I will park behind
2. Stop
3. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the left (steering is still soft at this point)
4. Very slowly reverse until the car is in a 45 degree angle
5. Stop
6. Turn the steering wheel 1.5 times to straighten the front wheels (steering starts to become stiff)
7. Very slowly reverse until wheels are near the kerb line
8.Stop
9. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the right (steering becomes stiffer)
10. Very slowly reverse
11, Stop when car is parallel to the kerb
12. Turn the steering wheel 1.5 times to the left to straighten the front wheels (steering is still stiff)

From this document: https://www.autoserviceprofessional....teering?Page=2 :

The steering warning light will illuminate during the light check cycle and when the EPS is in assist off mode. The steering warning light will not illuminate during limited assist operation. By turning the steering wheel all the way to one side, it will cause the EPS system to provide the maximum amount of current to the EPS motor. If the steering wheel is then held in this position for an extended period of time, the system will go into protection mode so the motor doesn’t overheat. If this occurs the EPS system will limit the amount of current to the motor and reduce the level of power assist. If it senses high system temperature the overload protection mode will enable. If a sensor or other another component in the EPS system fails, the self-diagnostics should detect the fault, set a code and disable power-assist.

So it seems the steering overload protection mode is getting triggered in my car and it progressively reduces the power steering assist in this maneuver. I would like to ask for others who own the same model, does the steering also become stiff if you perform the same maneuver? Is this a normal characteristic of the Honda Jazz/Fit? Or is the overload protection getting triggered too early in my car?

Some other information:
-Steering is good in normal driving and other maneuvers
-There is no EPS error indication (or any other error indication) lighting up in my dashboard
-There were no error codes found when a scanner was attached to the car
-Wheels/Tyres are normal (175/65 R15), tyre pressure is correct (32 psi front/30 psi back)
-Battery was tested with a battery tester, all results are good (Volts 12.27V, IR 8.19, 332 CCA, starter good, alternator good)
-The previous owner used 205/40 R17 tyres (<-- could this have altered some EPS module settings?)

Cheers.