2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY GE8 Factory Armrest Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Excellent write-up! It too gives me confidence that I can do this install on my own.

Am still debating on whether the armrest will be comfortable so I'll wait a while.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the great info! I just did this today and it went smoothly. Especially helpful was the bit sizes you used, as the instructions give the bit measurements in metric. I probably would have ordered metric bits if it wasn't for your tutorial. Thanks again for the great help.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I did this today and had a question. When looking down from above at the armrest, it seems a lot closer to the passenger seat than the drivers seat. Its actually touching the passenger seat. Is this normal. Everything went very smoothly during the install, so I can't determine if this is intentional. Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Doug

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ded1982
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I did this today and had a question. When looking down from above at the armrest, it seems a lot closer to the passenger seat than the drivers seat. Its actually touching the passenger seat. Is this normal. Everything went very smoothly during the install, so I can't determine if this is intentional. Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Doug
I think the question is... does it matter?

If you're worried it's not mounted properly, unmount the armrest and center console to check the lower mounting bracket.

then check the mount of the armrest into the center console.

and finally be attentive of the attachment point of the armrest to the lower bracket.

If it's all seemingly fine... then you have two choices... "be fine" with it and accept it as it is...

or if you're REALLY determined to have it centered (or even more to the driver's side)... move both seats as far back as possible, then tilt the back part down.

from the passenger side... starting pushing on the armrest in the direction you want to tilt it. gradually increase force as you're pushing and constantly check the angle to see if it's where you want it to be.

warning though... this method is basically bending the frame of the car's body (where the lower bracket attaches).

HAVE FUN...

personally, I'd just leave it alone... who gives a...

and depending on where your arm actually rests... it might be better further to the right.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yup old post, but anyone with a GE have this installed on a manual? They recommend that manuals do not install this option, personally I need this thing like yesterday I am sick of no place to set my arm while driving. And the factory armrest is so lame its not even funny.

So if you have this on a manual GE post a pic or two so I can see it works.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
It doesn't even come close to interfering with the MT. Honda's just covering themselves.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know thanks, gonna get one of these soon!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the write up JamFred! I just finished my install and it went very smoothly thanks to this thread.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by ded1982

-Doug
I just finished installing the Honda console on my 2012 Fit Sport (Automatic) and it's exactly like yours. I was very careful and made sure I drilled everything perfectly centered with the factory markings. Based on that I would say it's normal.