2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing Pioneer P4100DVD in GE8

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Installing Pioneer P4100DVD in GE8

I just got all my stuff from Crutchfield today so I'm starting this thread to do a part tutorial/ part Q&A thread (since this is my first install). I'll take as many pics as I can along the way

Here's what I have done:

Got a few questions already:

Anybody know a good place to ground the HU? I haven't really taken apart the dash yet, so I don't know. The connection coming out of the HU harness for ground look like this:

Also, to by pass the parking brake thing, I just connect this connector to a toggle switch and then to ground right???

By the way, how do find the actual parking break wire that I'm supposed to hook this up with?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
You will need to remove( or at least loosen ansd raise) your center console to expose the parking brake wire. The wire is impossible to miss as it is the only wire connected directly to the parking brake itself. As for the grounding question, once you have the OE radio out of the dash you should see a couple of places that you can bolt that spade connector to. On my GD the radio had a metal support bracket attached to it that the dash plastic was screwed to. The new radio did not use this bracketry, so I was able to use one of the holes left behind. I don't own a GE so I can't tell you if your car is the same or not. Hope that helps!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Anybody got instructions on how to remove the center console?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
1. You clip off that spade for ground and crimp the ground wire with the harness ground.

2. I ran my green wire for "ebrake" under the dash to the left just above my shins. Theirs a nut there on the drivers side foot well that holds the hood latch release. I loosened the nut, put a spade like the one you clipped off the black ground wire on the green wire and tightened the nut down on the spade. My switch for the green wire is installed On one of the three empty slots on the drivers. So you just have a switch between the ground and the headunit. You dont have to install it on the ebrake wire unless you want to disable the video function while driving.

To remove the center console takes some time. Their is one bolt holding it in that you can only get to once you pry off the flat plastic directly under the center console. Then you undo the 8mm nut. The rest is some really stubborn clips. Their is a online instruction how to remove the center console but I cant seem to find it again.

Last edited by Kouki; 09-22-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kouki
1. You clip off that spade for ground and crimp the ground wire with the harness ground.

2. I ran my green wire for "ebrake" under the dash to the left just above my shins. Theirs a nut there on the drivers side foot well that holds the hood latch release. I loosened the nut, put a spade like the one you clipped off the black ground wire on the green wire and tightened the nut down on the spade. My switch for the green wire is installed On one of the three empty slots on the drivers. So you just have a switch between the ground and the headunit. You dont have to install it on the ebrake wire unless you want to disable the video function while driving.

To remove the center console takes some time. Their is one bolt holding it in that you can only get to once you pry off the flat plastic directly under the center console. Then you undo the 8mm nut. The rest is some really stubborn clips. Their is a online instruction how to remove the center console but I cant seem to find it again.
Thank you so much for this, pretty much answered all my problems so far. Do you have a pic of how your switch looks like?? Did you have to dissemble anything else beside the stereo dash to rout the cable all the way to the other side of the steering wheel?

circa, thx for the center console removal instructions

Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Just found this in the box (I don't know how I missed it)

If I connect an iPod cable to this and plug the other end to the back of the unit, will I be able to control my iPhone from the HU? Or is it simply an USB extension cable?

Also, I still need some ideas of where to put the bypass ebrake switch

Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 AM
I plugged my white ipod cable into the back of the 4100 and ran the ipod side to the top glovebox where the oem usb is. Actually it was a little tough to fish the usb through, but I got it done. So, if you do what I did. Your 4100 will control your ipod/iphone via touch screen. Display album art, allow full access to playlists, artists, albums, etc and also adds an alphabetical search feature that even the ipod doesent do.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kouki
I plugged my white ipod cable into the back of the 4100 and ran the ipod side to the top glovebox where the oem usb is. Actually it was a little tough to fish the usb through, but I got it done. So, if you do what I did. Your 4100 will control your ipod/iphone via touch screen. Display album art, allow full access to playlists, artists, albums, etc and also adds an alphabetical search feature that even the ipod doesent do.
Wow, so u can just use the white iPod cable and plug it straight into the back USB port on the unit? Why did I bought that official pioneer cable then?

I'm set to install the unit. I'll probably just set the bypass switch by where the ebrake is for now

Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Alright, I just decided to pop the unit in tonight. Took about 1 and a half hour. The dash was surprisingly easy to remove. I pretty much just used a flat head screwdriver to lift the right side up a bit. Then I pretty much grabbed it from the gap and started tugging. I tried to keep my grip towards the lower part of the panel because that seems to be the most densed place to hang on to. A few more tugs later and the dash was lose.

pics coming soon

Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice! Good work! I agree, our stock HU is cake to remove. The "earthquake method" works the best.

What did you do for a bypass?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for the ebrake i used a normally closed momentary switch and used it as a bypass switch. sometimes the aux input and dvd calls out for the vehicle to be stopped for some reason so use the button to reset it.

all you do is connect one of the terminals to that green e-brake wire and the other
terminal to ground.

note that in some states it is ILLEGAL to watch dvd in the front seats while driving so be aware
of that... dont use it to run your dvd while driving! keep your eyes on the road.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by MetalFit630
Nice! Good work! I agree, our stock HU is cake to remove. The "earthquake method" works the best.

What did you do for a bypass?
I cut the green "e-brake" wire in half. Then I connect the toggle switch at the location where I cut the wire. Then I connected the other end to ground. I just tapped the ground into the chassis ground from the wiring harness.

It works perfectly. Turn the car on, go to the DVD section. Flip the switch twice, and I get the blue screen with the confirmation "OK"

I'll post pics and vids soon. I gotta take the dash apart to put in the iPod cable and bluetooth adaptor when it comes.