2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

sub, HU, and amp advise.. PLEASE HELP! =]

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
sub, HU, and amp advise.. PLEASE HELP! =]

I'm new to car audio and the 09 fit sport is my first car.
i heard that the headunit was crap, but im just looking for a little more bass than the stock speakers have.
I'm looking to put a 6-10" sub in my car, and im just wondering if i HAVE to change the headunit, wiring tips, and what would i need to put a small woofer in my car. I'm looking to keep this as cheap as possible.

any feedback is appreciated.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM
to make it sound proper, yes. as far as a hu, go with whatever you like the layout on... and isn't s*** of course. I'd go with a jl amp and a premier sub but thats just me... wiring is easy... finding the right system is actually much harder

Old 08-15-2009, 10:38 PM
As mentioned above, the stock head unit is nothing good. The speakers are moderate, but the head unit has horribly noisy processing. Do you HAVE to change it out? Certainly not, and if you're trying to save money then not upgrading it is probably what you want to do. Upgrading it will cost at least $200.

Now if you just want to add a little bass, go onto Crutchfield.com and find a nice little 8 or 10 inch powered subwoofer. They'll cost you about $200 or more. You'll need an amp wire kit, probably $50 or so, and a line output converter, probably $20 or more. The Line output converter will tap into your factory stereo's speaker outputs and create an RCA output for your sub.

Conservatively speaking, you'll probably be in the vicinity of $350 or so on up just doing the sub. In my opinion, if you're already spending that much, why not spend a couple hundred more, upgrade your head unit and dramatically increase your quality in sound and flexibility for future modifications. I waited almost a year until I had my system picked out and the money to buy it. Do it once, and do it right. That's what I tell my customers.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Smile

thank you for the replies, as of right now, i'm going to do the sub first, then when i get a little extra cash i will switch out the head unit. and i plan on doing it right the first time, thats why i'm not buying the cheapest stuff, i was trying to save some cash with the head unit.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
I love my Basslink2 in my gd3. Sounds great and comes with all the wiring for speaker level install and a wired volume control, for around $250

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
how much would you like to spend? do you need something small and compact? the way im taking this is you just want alittle thump from the back, and trying to save less. like said before, id go with a powered sub. ive heard good things about the audiobahn powered tube. heres a link to it.

Audiobahn 10 Inch Amplified Bass Tube ATB10AT 200 Watts:eBay Motors (item 170366789122 end time Aug-30-09 18:12:21 PDT)

this is a remanufatured one, i would definatly buy it new. i think the going rate is about 150 bucks. ive never actually heard it, but ive heard some good stuff about it.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by MetalHead88
how much would you like to spend? do you need something small and compact? the way im taking this is you just want alittle thump from the back, and trying to save less. like said before, id go with a powered sub. ive heard good things about the audiobahn powered tube. heres a link to it.

Audiobahn 10 Inch Amplified Bass Tube ATB10AT 200 Watts:eBay Motors (item 170366789122 end time Aug-30-09 18:12:21 PDT)

this is a remanufatured one, i would definatly buy it new. i think the going rate is about 150 bucks. ive never actually heard it, but ive heard some good stuff about it.

I'm looking to spend around 200, I was thinking about a 8 inch bazooka sub tube, i'm not looking for much, just a little more bass. but i'm worried about taking my HU out to wire it =\

Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 AM
i wouldn't recomend a self powered sub. Ive heard nothing but bad things and my brother(who used to work at a stereo shop) installed about 6 of em and they were all returned next day for something better. personally i was initially considering one because of the price until I actually heard it. they just aren't good

Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Yes, I Vtec
i wouldn't recomend a self powered sub. Ive heard nothing but bad things and my brother(who used to work at a stereo shop) installed about 6 of em and they were all returned next day for something better. personally i was initially considering one because of the price until I actually heard it. they just aren't good
but for 200 bucks, you cant throw a real system in, besides that bandpass dual witch is the most sorry excuse for a subwoofer system. if u wanna spend 200 bucks on the system in complete.... you need to go with a powered sub. amp+box+sub+wiring is gonna run u a lot more then 200

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
+1 for the basslink.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by MetalHead88
but for 200 bucks, you cant throw a real system in, besides that bandpass dual witch is the most sorry excuse for a subwoofer system. if u wanna spend 200 bucks on the system in complete.... you need to go with a powered sub. amp+box+sub+wiring is gonna run u a lot more then 200
yea i'm just looking for something quick and easy.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Infinity Basslink 2

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
I just had a 8" 100W powered Bazooka sub installed in my 08 Sport, and it puts out more bass than my old ears can handle. However, I haven't been able to dial in the gain to my liking even with the optional Bazooka base control installed, so I'm replacing my HU. You are going to spend closer to $300 on a powered sub AND a good amp wiring kit.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by whoa42
yea i'm just looking for something quick and easy.
no matter what, wiring for a sub will be exactly the same... the only difference with a powered sub is the amp is built in and its more compact. but u lose out with quality. but its a hell lot cheaper.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Upgrading my 08' Fit's system. Powered Sub is most likely gonna be your cheapest option. I upgraded my HU to an Alpine model. The Sound improvment was night and Day even with stock speakers. I did not want to botch the install(new car and all) so payed a local shop. Depending on the shop just the dash kit/antenna adapter, and install fee can run 150-200 bucks without the HU OUCH! But after hearing it, it was money well spent. JL Audio has some power wedge subs that fit great in well..The Fit. They have angled backs on the sub enclosures that match the seat reclining angle. Well good luck on your search! And let us know what you come up with. After my next appointment Mon to get the subs/amp/Cap intalled my fit will more like ounce down the road instaead of roll..I think my wife mumbled somthing like I am banned from any electronics store for years to come...But REMEMBER, it's easier the ask for forgiveness then permission!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Hello All,

This discusion is right up my alley. I recently purchased a fit about a month ago and looking for a little more bump. I already own an Amp and Speaker from a previous car i had But was wondering how i could connect it with the Stock head unit for the time being. i read something about an Add An Amp Adapter. Any one have any suggestions. I heard someone post something similar to an Add An Amp Adapter but they called it something else.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by DJ_EDDIE_G
Hello All,

This discusion is right up my alley. I recently purchased a fit about a month ago and looking for a little more bump. I already own an Amp and Speaker from a previous car i had But was wondering how i could connect it with the Stock head unit for the time being. i read something about an Add An Amp Adapter. Any one have any suggestions. I heard someone post something similar to an Add An Amp Adapter but they called it something else.
What you're looking for is called a Line Output Converter. This is the most efficient way to do it. What you'll do is find the two wires for the rear right and the two wires for the rear left behind the head unit, and "tap" the wires on the LOC into them. The other side of the LOC is one pair of RCAs, something that an amp can use. The better LOCs will have a gain output control, which will be important because it will give you more control over the amount of bass you receive from your head unit to your amp.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I dont own a fit....yet but i enjoy installing elecrtonics in vehicles. I've been through many systems in my 4runner but my current is by far the best.
-10 inch Alpine Type r
-1000 watt crunch amp
-2.0 capacitor
-4 guage streetwires wiring kit
-cutom ported box

If you want something for 200 bucks then powered is your way to go. But, like everyone said, they dont offer that much bass. Sounds like a door speaker on red bull if you know what i mean . Save a little money, get something nice and you'll be happy. And don't be afraid to do it all your self!!!

Last edited by Chaser999; 11-15-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: not finished