2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

WeatherTech's Digital Fit...next level digital.. (ooops) review

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
I'm too weary from fixing inferior designs. All that effort should not be necessary on our part. There should not be a size problem, nor a bow problem, for that money.

Dan

Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I like those floor mats. Especially digging how the rear mats cover the middle section of the floor. I already have the all weather floor mats, but if they ever crapped out on me, I'd get these.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 AM
looks really nice!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Just placed my order for 2 fronts and will use my old pant savers, with a couple of mods for the rear! Thanks guys for the link - they also have a canadian site

Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I'm too weary from fixing inferior designs. All that effort should not be necessary on our part. There should not be a size problem, nor a bow problem, for that money.

Dan
That's true. It's not like these are Wal Mart specials. They should Fit better but for me I really need something that will catch the debris.

My little bit of tweaking did some good and after driving today I only had a minor gap. (sorry for the poor pic quality).

I really wanted this edge tight so I got some velcro strips but they were too thick. Finally decided to just stick that edge to the plastic with some left over 3M molding adhesive tape I had. (sticky stuff).

Problem solved and I don't have to worry about any gappage here if the mat moves around. Would be nice if they just fit like this but I'm happy with the result.

Other than the gap on the drivers side these are some really cool mats! I like 'em.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Glad that worked out for you, but how will that sticky tape hold up over the long winter? My guess, not well. And for me, these would only be for winter. In summer, I'd have my other mats in there, which means the sticky tape has to come off, probably leaving residue.

I think these mats look great and are an excellent idea. But how good is it, or customer service, if they can't or won't fit it perfectly to a Fit?! Either they perminently fix the problems and make new ones that fit right, or it's not worth the considerable dollars, imo. To each their own. I hope yours work great for you, really.

Dan

Old 10-17-2009, 07:49 AM
They still have front to back "slide" in them, so the taping idea would seem to be a questionable fix.

I like mine and can live with the gap, but for $100, WeatherTech could have done a little better job.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 AM
I recently added the Weathertechs to my Fit (front and back). Only complaint was that they are a bit slick at first and you just need to be careful getting in otherwise your foot slips. After a few weeks, it is amazing to see the crap it catches (which would otherwise have been ground into the carpet).

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
After seeing this thread I decided to get these mats, got front and back and they're awesome. A day after I got them a bottle of windshield fluid opened itself on the backseat floor but the weathertech's trapped it all. I was worried about the gap people have posted about on the driver's side but mine don't have it (or at least not yet). Its sweet seeing all the little pebbles leaves and junk it traps. Best mats I've owned.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on my second set, and both have had the bow problem on the driver's side. I'm thinking about going the adhesive tape route too even though I shouldn't have to.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't have the bow but some industrial strength velcro from Lowes or Wal-Mart would take care of your issue.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rangefit
I agree about the gap. It would drive me nuts too if it doesn't settle in properly. I was tempted to use a heat gun but maybe once it's parked outside in the heat when I'm at work, it may help.

The rear covers fairly well. It's a little deceiving because the seats are up. It would have been better if they made it with a little bit more material that goes under the forward seat.

I'll take pics after some time.
I think I figured out why some people have the gap problem with the Weathertech mats. I think Weathertech designed them to fit over Honda mats. Without mats under them, if you press down on the Weathertech mats (especially outside rear corner) the outside edge bows. A heat gun can't solve this problem. I placed some 1/4" foam under the Weathertech mats, and used some 3M doublesided foam adhesive tape to secure the outer edge. No more gap.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Selden
I think I figured out why some people have the gap problem with the Weathertech mats. I think Weathertech designed them to fit over Honda mats. Without mats under them, if you press down on the Weathertech mats (especially outside rear corner) the outside edge bows. A heat gun can't solve this problem. I placed some 1/4" foam under the Weathertech mats, and used some 3M doublesided foam adhesive tape to secure the outer edge. No more gap.
That might be. I know mine wouldn't fit over the factory all seasons very well though. I also put some foam under the mat for suport and it's working pretty well. Foam tape didn't hold for me and I took it off. Not noticeing the gap much. I get more debris under the front from my feet.

I really like the mats and would recommend them.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
I've had these mats (front and rear) installed for about 3 months now.
I never had any gap issue similar to the OP, and I've never had OEM mats either.
Interesting, some have this issue and others don't.

Nice, tight fit. They don't budge.

Last edited by kirsch92; 12-19-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Out of curiosity, do you have the Honda mats underneath, or are the Weathertechs just on top of the base "carpet"? If the latter, then Weathertech must have some manufacturing variations -- not surprising with molded plastic.

Even though I had to use some double-stick tape to close the gap, otherwise they fit great, and catch all sorts of crap that would otherwise get ground into the pathetic excuse for carpet that comes with the Fit. . Even my N600 had nicer carpeting than the Fit. Probably the best post-purchase money I have spent on the Fit

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
Just factory "carpet" underneath.

I don't have the instructions that came with these anymore, but I swear it said to remove other mats prior to install.

I didn't pay much attention as I didn't have to worry about it, so I could be wrong.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Just put mine in yesterday, front and back, really nice! They have a little gap on the driver's side and I noticed the bowing thing when you push down on them. Not a big deal to me.

Do not however order their "one size fits all" cargo area mat, it doesn't fit the Fit, even with major alteration, might have to buy the Honda cargo mat and be out $75.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
hex
for all of you that are using double sided tape to fix the gap problem for the front driver's side mat, how are you guys gonna take them out to clean them? LOL. i understand if you're using velcro since it's removable, but double sided tape?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I've had mine installed for about a year, and agree that the back mats could be designed better to cover more.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vickenp
Just placed my order for 2 fronts and will use my old pant savers, with a couple of mods for the rear! Thanks guys for the link - they also have a canadian site
this is very helpful, can you please post the Canadian site so I can order it.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech's Digital Fit...next level digital.. (ooops) review