2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Steering Wheel Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 05:33 PM
Steering Wheel Control Issue

First time poster, not super mechanically inclined. Might say dumb things out of inexperience. Please be kind. I have an issue I'm getting nowhere with and I have been recommended to ask this community by local audio guys. So here it goes:

I purchased a super low mileage used 2012 Honda FIT base this past Summer after I totaled my corolla. I love the car itself, but I decided I wanted to put a backup camera in it. So I had an audio shop install a Kenwood DMX4707S aftermarket radio and a backup camera. Everything was great.

Then my steering wheel began to deteriorate fairly rapidly. The most cost effective way to fix it was to purchase a used steering wheel from Japan and ship it here. Unfortunately it is from a second generation Honda FIT Sport. So it has both audio controls AND cruise control on the steering wheel, while my old one just had cruise control.

I watched a ton of videos, took my old steering wheel off, and installed the new one. Everything went exactly as they said, until I turned it on. I always figured the audio steering wheel controls probably wouldn't work, but now my cruise control doesn't work either. Does anyone have any clue as to what I should do? In a perfect world I could get both the audio controls and the cruise control to work from the steering wheel, but every shop I've called in my area just tells me they can't help me. I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:34 PM
This video explains how to add steering wheel stereo controls to a Fit. You may also be able to use it to figure out how your cruise control should be hooked up (and presumably isn't anymore).