2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Oh snap, subscribing to this thread!

Great job on the detailed posts OP

Old 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
You might be able to rotate the inlet pipe and angle the throttle body pointing more downward. However there is a problem. Here is a picture of the stock intake manifold. The bolt points in the lower right hand corner also exist in the Sprintex unit to securely fasten the inlet pipe in place. Unless you shave down the inlet mount points or it corresponding end I don't see how you can rotate the inlet pipe.
Name:  1f0592fe-4966-4e71-8fb0-a97fea8472f2_zps3c071f9d.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  166.3 KB

Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm talking about rotating the inlet pipe... Are you sure you didn't just bolt it in at a high angle? Have you tried loosening the mount on the inlet pipe a little to see if rotates enough to lower the airbox?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
You might be able to rotate the inlet pipe and angle the throttle body pointing more downward. However there is a problem. Here is a picture of the stock intake manifold. The bolt points in the lower right hand corner also exist in the Sprintex unit to securely fasten the inlet pipe in place. Unless you shave down the inlet mount points or it corresponding end I don't see how you can rotate the inlet pipe.
Looking at the install instructions for the non-USDM Fits, there appears to be three bolts that mount the manifold.

In your picture, they're two on the extended bit in lower right and the big bolt hole on the extended bit in the lower left... Looking at your install pictures near the end, i'm not sure you reattached that big one.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
When are you getting your car back. This car is going to be fun not just a boring daily beater/commuter for me. I can almost keep up with my wife's automatic mx5 Miata. Now only if there is a LSD in there to help put more power to the ground on corners. I know MFactory has a reasonably price LSD for the Honda Fit GE.

Originally Posted by Fuzzyfunk
Awesome Steven! We are currently in a small club with our USDM Sprintex. Here is mine installed with an Injen CAI:

Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Steven, I'm not sure when I'm getting it back. Hopefully by the end of this week. I just got word from my mechanic/tuner that it is not reading fuel correctly. He is speaking with Gary to see if this tuned to 91 octane. It runs, but it is not going past 3000rpms and there is cylinder misfire. He just said he cleared his schedule and pushed few of his other customers for the following week and will be focusing on my car this week. This is my only car and dd. It's actually an automatic. I live in Southern California and as much as I would like an m/t, it wouldn't have been a smart choice given the amount of traffic we have here. Maybe if this was my second car, then I would have gone for an m/t.

My plan was to actually get it tuned by the famous Bisimoto who happens to have his shop right next to the city I live in. He would be using AEM to tune it, but since Sprintex planned on getting this CARB approved, I may just wait and save myself some money.

When are you planning on getting it dyno'ed? Looks like you are doing way more than just installing the sc plus you are going with 93 octane which california does not have.

My goal is to get it around 150 hp which Gary mentioned is reachable at 91 octane. I previously had an rsx until an old lady in her brand new suv rear ended me and totaled my car (economic total loss to be exact). I decided on the fit due to the great reviews and fuel economy, but I have been having hp/torque withdrawals since loosing my rsx. When I found out that Sprintex was making a USDM version for our fit, I jumped on it and wanted to be one of the first to get this bad boy on my fit.

Last edited by Fuzzyfunk; 12-22-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Steven, I'm not sure when I'm getting it back. Hopefully by the end of this week. I just got word from my mechanic/tuner that it is not reading fuel correctly. He is speaking with Gary to see if this tuned to 91 octane. It runs, but it is not going past 3000rpms and there is cylinder misfire. He just said he cleared his schedule and pushed few of his other customers for the following week and will be focusing on my car this week. This is my only car and dd. It's actually an automatic. I live in Southern California and as much as I would like an m/t, it wouldn't have been a smart choice given the amount of traffic we have here. Maybe if this was my second car, then I would have gone for an m/t.
It is tuned for 95 RON, which is our 91 AKI.

However, its not tuned for your CAI. The map only applies for completely stock intake and exhaust setups.

So yeah, you need to redo the tune... And as Gary said, CARB approval won't work for you and your CAI, unless you switch back to stock.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks Goobers! Looks like redoing the tune will be my option for now.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Cold air intake is probably not enough to cause the rpm not go above 3000 rpm and cylinder misfiring. It might cause the car to run either rich or lean. I installed an AFE intake in my 2005 E46 M3 and the car ran rich without a ECU reprogram. By the end of the week I will attempt to install a cold/Ram air intake. How old is your car and how many miles? Is the ignition components, the four ignition coils and the spark plugs in good working order? There was a trick that I used on the BMW to determine which ignition coil is bad when I had cylinder misfiring last year. I end up with 2 bad ignition coils and replaced all the coils and a set of new copper spark plugs. You can do a search but I am sure your tuner/installer is well aware of the trick. I don't believe I have the 3000 rpm problem because this morning I got the car up to 85 mph quickly and easily. Usually it a bit of work for the engine to get the car up to 80 mph. It is a breeze with the supercharger. The sweet spots are above 3000 rpm. I will do another test drive tomorrow morning and then pull the spark plugs to see what they look like. While I am at it I will also see if I can rotate the inlet pipe. There is no better way to spend Christmas vacation at home but to play with toys.

My 2009 5 speed MT Honda Fit Sport is starting to get old with 96K miles. I need to refresh it a little bit. The Sprintex supercharger with the cold/ram air intake is the first step. High flow exhaust and header later on next year. I am going to drive the car for a bit looking for potential problems and learn the LetRipp software before dynoing. Dyno with logging enable is what I have in mind. $60 for 3 pulls at Tampa Proven Power isn't too bad. I want to do it on a 93 octane tune if the map files are available. The suspension needs to be swapped out to a set of Bilstein coil over. I might have to do the clutch at 120K miles. That would be the time for the LSD. I am also thinking about the Fastbrake rear drum to disk conversion kit. The brake system on my old 97 Wrangler works way better after the drum to disk installation. I am a believer that these conversion kit do work.

My MR2 Turbo has the first generation AEM EMS. With a RS232 equipped laptop, I can connect to it and monitor A/F ratio, EGT, engine temp, boost, etc in real-time. The car was tuned by John Reed to 300 HP at the wheel making the 2800 lb car a handful to drive. Snap throttle over steer is not too much fun.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
So noob question, as it seems from this thread, this is hardly an OTB kit (aside from tuning)?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Steven mine is a 2013 and only 9k + miles on it. Everything should still be in great condition. The only internal mod I did before the sc was placed are the Injen cai and mugen exhaust. You could be right about it running rich or lean. I'll get an update from my tuner. He told me earlier that he put back the oem airbox to see if that might fix the issue but he has been in contact with Gary and they are eliminating all possibilities.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Cold air intake is probably not enough to cause the rpm not go above 3000 rpm and cylinder misfiring. It might cause the car to run either rich or lean. I installed an AFE intake in my 2005 E46 M3 and the car ran rich without a ECU reprogram. By the end of the week I will attempt to install a cold/Ram air intake. How old is your car and how many miles? Is the ignition components, the four ignition coils and the spark plugs in good working order? There was a trick that I used on the BMW to determine which ignition coil is bad when I had cylinder misfiring last year. I end up with 2 bad ignition coils and replaced all the coils and a set of new copper spark plugs. You can do a search but I am sure your tuner/installer is well aware of the trick. I don't believe I have the 3000 rpm problem because this morning I got the car up to 85 mph quickly and easily. Usually it a bit of work for the engine to get the car up to 80 mph. It is a breeze with the supercharger. The sweet spots are above 3000 rpm. I will do another test drive tomorrow morning and then pull the spark plugs to see what they look like. While I am at it I will also see if I can rotate the inlet pipe. There is no better way to spend Christmas vacation at home but to play with toys.

My 2009 5 speed MT Honda Fit Sport is starting to get old with 96K miles. I need to refresh it a little bit. The Sprintex supercharger with the cold/ram air intake is the first step. High flow exhaust and header later on next year. I am going to drive the car for a bit looking for potential problems and learn the LetRipp software before dynoing. Dyno with logging enable is what I have in mind. $60 for 3 pulls at Tampa Proven Power isn't too bad. I want to do it on a 93 octane tune if the map files are available. The suspension needs to be swapped out to a set of Bilstein coil over. I might have to do the clutch at 120K miles. That would be the time for the LSD. I am also thinking about the Fastbrake rear drum to disk conversion kit. The brake system on my old 97 Wrangler works way better after the drum to disk installation. I am a believer that these conversion kit do work.

My MR2 Turbo has the first generation AEM EMS. With a RS232 equipped laptop, I can connect to it and monitor A/F ratio, EGT, engine temp, boost, etc in real-time. The car was tuned by John Reed to 300 HP at the wheel making the 2800 lb car a handful to drive. Snap throttle over steer is not too much fun.
I'm far from an expert at FI (or pretty much anything about cars)... but I'm pretty sure that if you have an one ECU attempting to "correct" too much air (due to the CAI)... with ANOTHER ECU-ish piggyback working behind its back but wasn't setup for the CAI either, it ain't gonna be pretty.

And maybe you don't have the 3k rpm issue because you still have stock airbox and exhaust?

Originally Posted by jdmj0
So noob question, as it seems from this thread, this is hardly an OTB kit (aside from tuning)?
OTB?

Steven mine is a 2013 and only 9k + miles on it. Everything should still be in great condition. The only internal mod I did before the sc was placed are the Injen cai and mugen exhaust. You could be right about it running rich or lean. I'll get an update from my tuner. He told me earlier that he put back the oem airbox to see if that might fix the issue but he has been in contact with Gary and they are eliminating all possibilities.
Oh, you also have an exhaust mod too? I won't assume what Gary will say to your tuner... but I'll tell you what he said to me on FaceBook when I only asked about the tuning map (whether the unlocked unit already had a map)...

Yes, the tuner has a map on it. We tuned it for a stock vehicle. If you have exhaust modifications already then you will need to add more fuel.
Which I take to mean, do a re-tune.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 AM
I just read up tuning and ecu management and looks like this is the solution as you mentioned. I'll talk to my tuner tomorrow and see where he is at. Thank you

Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Out of the Box

Old 12-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
sounds like a lot of work for a bolt on. makes me nervous, and i don't even know where to find a tuner in NJ. but damn this thread makes me excited.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmj0
Out of the Box
in that case, it is supposed to be an out of the box kit. it has a default map already in the piggyback*.

all you really need is:

Tools and Consumables Required to Complete Installation

• Set Metric Wrenches and Sockets
• Cable Ties
• Electrical circuit tester
• Flat and Philips Screwdrivers
• Electrical Tape
• Rubber grease
• Solder and Soldering Gun
• Pipe Sealer, sealant, thread locker
• Pliers and Side Cutters
• Metric Allen Keys
it's just easier or harder depending on your experience with modding cars and electrical work.

*but, like I've said before... they state the tuning map is only for stock intake and exhaust... so if you've modded either or both, then yeah... it's no longer out of the box since you'll need to redo the map.

I just read up tuning and ecu management and looks like this is the solution as you mentioned. I'll talk to my tuner tomorrow and see where he is at. Thank you
hopefully, whatever it is they have to do... it gets done quickly and relatively painlessly.

Last edited by Goobers; 12-23-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
MADMAN-_-zZ has a Sprintex Australia kit installed for over a year. The only problem that he spoke about is pinging on gas under 98 RON or 93 US octane.
In his https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-pics-vid.html you can clearly see a DIY intake. Some thing else might be going on with Fuzzyfunk's car.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Wow an almost new Honda Fit with a Sprintex supercharger. I like how you guys roll in Los Angeles. My 2009 Honda Fit is a Florida sun beaten sleeper driven by a 50 years old fart. Eventually your car's problems will all be sorted out. Part of the fun and culture in modifying cars.

I ran my BMW for years without a re-tune and didn't have any major problem. The car just wasn't taking advantage of more air flow. It wasn't until not too recently that I got an off the shelf race shark tune that isn't optimized for the car. The car ran fine. My BMW has a few bolt-on.

* AFE intake
* Amuse TI exhaust
* FabSpeed headers
* Dinan oversize individual throttle bodies

The Dinan oversize TB was an upgrade that I installed last year. Immediately after the installed I got diagnostic trouble code, DTC from the ECU for cylinder misfiring. It turned out to be the ignition coils. Took me a while to figure it out. I thought it was the oversize TB that was causing the problem. Who would believe that two ignition coils would go bad in car with about 15K miles. Sometimes s h i t just happens.

Last edited by Steven Hung; 12-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
The car just wasn't taking advantage of the more air flow. It wasn't until too recently that I got an off the shelf race shark tune that isn't optimized for the car.
Pretty sure this will be the case with the Fit and this kit as well. Mods won't hurt any, running the unmodified tune with bolt ons just won't be taking full advantage of said parts.

Now if you tuned with bolt ons and went back to stock that could be a problem without re-tuning I believe, would probably run rich. I am no expert though

Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Tuning is 95% mechanical. Check your setup first.

My 2.0L just made 597whp @ ~25psi with a lot left in it on a heartbreaker Mustang Dyno.. and fiddling with the lap top was the easy part.

Is there a proper Wideband installed on the car in question?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Love your plans... especially the SC, LSD & Bilstein, but that kit won't work on GE8's, unless you plan on cutting & rewelding the rear hub/splindles (ours are welded on from the factory). Your only option is a complete JDM rear trailing arm.

Originally Posted by xxryu139x
sounds like a lot of work for a bolt on. makes me nervous, and i don't even know where to find a tuner in NJ. but damn this thread makes me excited.
There's a few places relatively local... Whenever I go FI, I'll probably be taking it to Evans Tuning in Pa... not too far.

Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install