2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Hey guys, Im located in Australia. is this Sprintex supercharger kit available again? because i have been waiting for the past 6 months

Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onc932
Hey guys, Im located in Australia. is this Sprintex supercharger kit available again? because i have been waiting for the past 6 months
Considering it's made by a company based in Australia, I'm not sure why you're have trouble getting one...

Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 AM
I have this question in my mind in the past 6 months. Please note that i paid in full in Jan 2014 and there was a waiting period of 2 weeks, and extended to 1 month then became no ETA... recently i received a full refund from a local sprintex dealer because there is no ETA still... i got so surprised seeing ppl on here talking about their recent purchase of the kit??

Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
The following was the original and initial edit... but apparently it doesn't hold true...

Okay folks... for your pleasure, cause it certainly ain't for mine.

I decided to swap in the OE fuel pump to see if I still had the hold@high RPM limp issue with the SMT8-L disconnected. I wanted to confirm if the piggyback removal didn't "clear" my issue. It's been sitting in the back of my mind, bugging the hell out of me.

Well... I got hit with limp. So, the conclusion for now is that, by itself, removing the piggyback does NOT clear up the hold@high RPM limp issue for me. It is either solely the fuel pump or at least the fuel pump with piggyback removal. The next test will require the new fuel pump in addition to re-attaching the piggyback.

On another note... that fuel pump puts out so much pressure it managed to push ALL THREE O-rings to the base of the nozzle. So, unless the pump itself has a faulty check valve, I need at least one more O-ring to prevent fuel drain back (which causes long crank times when attempt to quickly start after it sits a while).

edit:

Bought an assortment of O-rings, but out of 18, only one fit... so I added that as the fourth O-ring and swapped the fuel pump back in. Hopefully this time, I won't have the drain back issue.
Decided to test drive the pump again (the DW65c)... interestingly, I managed to cause it to limp. In hindsight, I forgot to clear the previous DTCs (when I limped with the stock pump), but I don't think it would "carry over" to affect this test. I was also fairly low on fuel, the light should come on in the first few minutes of my commute tomorrow. Of course, I don't think that would cause a limp either... unless the pump is somehow managing to starve (it did get a little bumpy trying to control it in only 1st gear).

Hum... nonetheless, that is strange.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-21-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Well guys, I haven't ventured back into this thread, or fitfreak for that matter, in many months. I had a major life event happen a couple of months ago. I accepted a job at a Hendrick Automotive dealership in Charlotte, North Carolina at the beginning of May and moved here on May 18th. I absolutely love it here so far. Beautiful city, with tons of extremely nice cars (it's Nascar country!).

With my new job came an extremely high increase in pay. This has left me with a decision to make. When I purchased my Fit, I chose it because it was the "nicest" new car I could afford (and because I am a lifetime Honda fanatic). Now that I have settled into an apartment and have began receiving good pay since fully taking over the Geico account that I run, I have been very anxious to get a new car. I had been looking at everything from a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE to a '15 Challenger RT Scat Pack, and even a used Mercedes Benz C63 AMG. I have been on the computer everyday for 2 months just looking at vehicles.

Last weekend, I was able to get my longtime highschool friend a job at the collision center I now work at, so he moved here with me and is now paying half of the rent at my apartment!! SCORE haha. Today on our ride home from work, we got on the subject of cars, as we always do on the ride to and from work. I told him at the moment I was leaning towards the Challenger, and he asked why I didn't just build a car rather than blowing $40k on something. I had thought about this but there just isn't a build I can think of right now that inspires me, nor do I have the space to do any building since I live in an apartment complex. The conversation progressed until the subject of further modding the Fit came up.

I would love to get the AEM unit and the Boomslang harness as well as doing a full exhaust, header, CAI, and a custom pulley. I know that if I do this I am stepping down what could be a very scary path. I am struggling with whether or not to spend money doing more to the Fit or just putting it back stock and buying a new vehicle. I love the idea of building the Fit because it would be a blast, and I would love having something that no one else had. I truly enjoyed being one of the pioneers on this Sprintex kit with all of you. I have had my ups and downs just as all of you have had. In fact, a handful of days ago I found myself emailing Gary because I was in Tennessee attending a friend's wedding and had a terrible problem with the Fit.

I was getting on the interstate and I had it in paddle shift mode. I was in second gear approaching the on ramp at a high RPM. I continued onto the ramp holding my RPM. Halfway up the ramp, it fell on it's face so badly that myself and my girlfriend were both tossed forward in our seats. The CEL not only came on, but immediately began flashing, indicating a major misfire so I pulled off to the side of the on ramp. Once I came to a complete stop the CEL went away completely. I put it back in drive and when I tried to pull away, at 2,000 RPM it started flashing again and I had almost no power. About this time, a Tennessee Highway Patrol officer pulled up behind me. I walked back to the officers car and explained what had happened to him. He was very nice and asked what I was going to do and what he could do to help. We ultimately decided that he would follow me with his blue lights on until I could make it to the next exit and get off the interstate. I wasn't able to get over 20 MPH, and when the AC was on I was lucky to hit 10. The whole time the CEL is flashing like crazy, and I am thinking in my head, "well there goes my catalytic converter." I made it off the interstate, found a parking lot to leave the Fit at, and we had a friend come and pick us up so we wouldn't be late to the wedding rehearsal. After the rehearsal, my friend picked us up and we went back to the Fit with plans to reset the ECU and see if it would correct the issue or not. When we got there I fired it up without resetting the ECU and it ran completely fine with no power loss and no CEL light whatsoever. I took it straight to the Honda dealership where I know the Service Manager and Service Director and left it for them to look at the next morning. When I went to pick it up, all they could tell me was the stored codes were for a random misfire in cylinders 2, 3, and 4.

Since this problem I have not had any issues. I believe it is likely that the car leaned out since I had been holding it at a high RPM for so long - the same issue many of you have had.

At this point, I am still very happy with my Fit. I have never considered putting it back stock due to not liking the Sprintex kit or from having issues with it. I am just considering it now, because of wanting to buy a new car.

I just wanted to share this with all of you and get your opinion on what you would do in my situation. I apologize for not getting on here in so many months. I had a few members PM me asking about the kit and if they should buy it or not and I immediately told them all yes. It is a very fun car with this kit, I just don't know if it is fun enough at this point to fight off the urge of wanting something that is much faster.

I hope all of you are doing well, and to the one or two new people who have installed since I have been gone, congratulations!

Last edited by jonathan13; 07-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
If you decide to go with a newer car, do not get the Merc AMG. I am a claims adjuster for a major warranty company and take mechanical claims on those almost daily. Figure the cost to repair an average German car is already fairly high, now add the those three letters AMG, and repair costs nearly triple. Unless you get a service contract on the Benz, stay away!! Lol. My choice would be the SS, you still get power and reasonable handling.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I agree with you on that one. I don't think I would be able to afford the maintenance. The reason I was interested in one was due to the Agency Power youtube video of their dual mode exhaust. The mixture of the Merc and Pretty Lights dubstep track sent me over the edge haha. Between the SS and the Challenger, I can't decide if I want to go fast in a straight line or around the bends. The Challenger, after ramping up the 6.4 Apache engine now has 485 horsepower that would spank the SS in a straight line, but the SS with a 1LE package would murder a Challenger as well as anything else in that price range around the bends. That 1LE package is the best $3,500 option I have ever seen a car company offer. I work at a Chevrolet dealer now and I get to see and drive them on a daily basis, and other than the terrible blind spots I love them. A week ago we had Mr. Hendrick's personal Z/28 roped off in the showroom (VIN 00001)! It was incredible. lol

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Personally, I've been fighting off the urge to grab the 2015 Fit (bit of a gadget freak). With all the thoughts of what to do with some of the mods on the current Fit.

I don't dislike the Sprintex SC, and realistically, only did this for shits & giggles. But I don't like the feeling that it's a bit of a waste to get rid of the Fit and all the "personalizing" I put into it, so that has been a major reason why I'm sticking to the car as it is now.

As for being able to afford "more," I guess thats just a personal thing. When I bought the Fit, I didn't see it as "the best I could afford now," but more like "I like this car, and I happen to be able to afford it." In other words, even if I had more disposable income to afford a pricer car, I probably would stick to the Fit.

~~~~~

Jonathan, was the DTCs just for cylinders 2 to 4? Or all four? I want to say maybe spark plugs or ignition coils... But then, wouldn't the dealer have noticed that?

Hum...

Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Goobers- Unfortunately, since I am friends with the Service Manager, he obviously didn't want to charge me a diagnostic fee. That being said, if he had hooked it up to Hondas diagnostic computer he would have been forced per their policy to charge me. Instead he just used a generic code reader to scan it. This only showed the 2 through 4 random misfire. I wonder if it probably was actually missing in all 4 cylinders but the ECU just had not recognized it yet.

I am a huge car nut, and geek so I find myself spending all of my disposable income on cars and electronics. If I got a different job next week that paid more than what I am currently making that would drastically change what vehicle I would buy. I know that isn't a good thing and it is actually quite embarrassing to admit, but it is the truth. Honestly I would really like to have the new Challenger SRT Hellcat. 707 horsepower from the dealer with a warranty = is that a stick in your pocket or are you just excited to see my domestic? :P

Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I think generic would've picked up all four if all four did trip. And in terms "not yet for the remaining cylinder," the ECU would be able to pick up all four faster than we can blink. Basically, once it trips limp mode it would've picked up all that are affected.

So if the service guy saw three... Its three.

~~~~~

The only other car I want besides the Fit.... Aventador.

But realistically, its....

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Well in that case, 3 out of 4 it is. That stumps me even more. I am happy to have not had any issues since then so far (fingers crossed).

I actually drove an Aventador at the Atlanta Motorsports Park. Those 3 laps were pure bliss.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonathan13
Well in that case, 3 out of 4 it is. That stumps me even more. I am happy to have not had any issues since then so far (fingers crossed).

I actually drove an Aventador at the Atlanta Motorsports Park. Those 3 laps were pure bliss.
Is it "roomy?"

My only concern is whether or not I could even fit in. When my brother had a Corvette, which was previously owned by our brother-in-law, i had to put the seat in a very specific position to fit. If not, I would have one of three conditions, not enough leg room, head room, or steering room. You would think an Asian should easily fit in an American sports car... Unfortunately, at 6' tall, I'm not quite the typical Asian.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
So I haven't been on here in a while, but I wanted to post something that I found interesting that I've been testing now for a few weeks. I'm not sure if you guys would get the same results or not, but it worked for me.

So the car has been running great for a while with no issues other then same limp mode issue all, if not most have experienced when you hold the RPM's up to high for to long. No big deal since I always carry my scan tool to clear the codes and get the car back up and running in seconds.

A few weeks ago the car completely went out and wouldn't leave limp mode at all. It was reading codes for the crank, maf, and misfires on all banks. I took things apart and checked all connections etc. and everything looked good. I thought it was the SMT8, but when I checked it everything was reading fine. I reset the ecu, did the re-learn and still nothing was happening.

So at this point I was pretty angry and said screw it, I'm a drive it to my friends shop so I can tear the whole thing apart and figure it out. I drove the car for 2 miles in limp mode with the check engine light flashing and not being able to get passed 3k in the rpms and it sounded like a boxer engine from a Subaru. I was a few blocks away and I hooked up the scan tool to try and clear the codes to see if the car would drive a little normal the rest of the way there and it worked.

Since I was still mad at this point I smashed the gas pedal and took the rpms up all the way up and it DID NOT trigger limp mode. I was pretty shocked by this, so right away I started abusing the piss out of the car until I could trigger limp again and it didn't happen. It's been a few weeks now and I'm still trying to get it to limp every time I drive it and it hasn't happened yet.

At first I was thinking I was hitting limp because I wasn't getting enough fuel so I was ready to get a new fuel pump and injectors (which I still am), but at this point I'm just happy I haven't hit limp mode again.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM
1Sick- I too abused my fit on the way to the Honda dealer to try and cause the limp situation again without luck. I however have not held it at high RPM again since that incident. Also, I had previously held at high RPM for a long period of time (10+ seconds), and nothing happened. It seems like sometimes they just want to limp and other times they won't even if you want them to.

Goobers- I wouldn't call them "roomy" by any means, but my friend was there at the track with me that day and drove a second one that they had available, and he is 6'4 and I didn't hear any complaint out of him that he was cramped. This could have been due to the fact he was blasting around the track and just didn't care though. I can't really give you good insight from my personal experience because I am only 5'6.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Piece of advice... Don't try to change the supercharger oil in the dark with a flashlight... You can't see squat on the dipstick.

I basically neglected it since I installed it... So it was no big surprise that, despite needing only 50 ml of oil, far less came out. However, due to the issue with visibility, I have no idea how much I actually put back in (couldn't see the level on the dipstick)... Only that i put more than I took out.

On Monday, I'm gonna do it again and then change the gear oil for my Ruckus (uses 100ml of the same oil). At least with the Ruckus, I think it fills similarly to the Fits transmission (add until it pours/dips out of the fill hole).

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonathan13

At this point, I am still very happy with my Fit. I have never considered putting it back stock due to not liking the Sprintex kit or from having issues with it. I am just considering it now, because of wanting to buy a new car.
Sinking money into a depreciating asset is a terrible idea. Unless you're set financially otherwise, with maxed out retirement contributions, a nice 6-12mo cash emergency fund, and no other debt (minis a mortgage) then financing a car is a bad idea.

Any car will get a bit stale and you don't know how much you'll miss it until it's gone. The cars you mentioned are radically different. I have strong opinions on this since we are a country full of financially irresponsible people with a culture of status symbols and consumer spending.

Unless the new car is going to be a cash purchase it is a bad idea. Since you mentioned the Fit was the nicest car you could afford. I am assuming you financed it. Ask yourself where you want to be in five years, 10, 50. Americans don't save, generally speaking. We spend spend spend then point the finger at the next generation to take care of us bc of our reckless spending and poor saving habits.

I will quantify this. I don't know what "a lot of money" is to you but if you're looking to buy a $40,000 car you should be making $120,000/yr+. With few exceptions if you can't afford to pay cash for the car you shouldn't buy it. Crunch the numbers on that $600/mo car payment and see what that money would

You should not be spending more than 10% of your gross income on car expenses. This includes insurance, gas, and maintenance. A $40k car financed for 60 months with insurance, gas, and conservative maintenance estimates is about $1,000/mo.

Believe me that while those cars might tickle your pickle for a few months, maybe more, there would be some regret and longing for the simpler days when you drove a car that was truly within your means. I bought a 2013 Mustang GT in 2012 for about $40k, financed (I could have paid cash but it was 0% interest and I was doing well on the market). Even with that brand new car there was part of me that wished I had gone with the Audi s4, which was the car I ALMOST bought.

I bet if I had sprung for the S4 I would lust after the 911 Turbo or R8.

I could walk into the Audi dealer tomorrow and drive away in a new R8, finance every penny and have no trouble making the payments, even double or triple them to pay it off quickly, but that doesn't make it a GOOD idea. I look at people's finances intimately every day and the number of people out there with less than $10k in their checking/savings, earning under $50k/yr but driving around in 30-50k cars blows my mind. Every $600 car payment I made on that mustang was a constant reminder of my stupidity, because the cool factor wore off fast. I bought the 2013 fit in December 2012 as a beater car to save miles in the mustang. I enjoyed driving the fit more and paid off the mustang then sold it a few months ago. I was thinking about picking up the new 2015 Boxster GTS and after an extended test drive realized that if I bought it I would wish I was in an S2000 sometimes, hearing that VTEC crossover.

Sorry to sound like a know it all or like I am lecturing you but honestly if you dedicate the extra money to investing you will be happy one day when you can buy the most valuable asset in this world- your own time and freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want.

Last edited by Sapper; 08-27-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
So it seems that the drainage bolt area has developed a leak.

I ordered some new bolts in the hope that it would "band-aid" the problem... which is, the bolts that go in do not have heads to seal themselves against a surface. The drain bolt is especially problematic because there's nothing stopping the bolt from going all the way in and so it completely relies on the threads to hold the oil in (and maybe some sealant if you apply some).

I had to order the bolt because apparently, the ones used in the sc are a rare size... M13, which Home Depot doesn't carry (found out last night).

Hopefully this will fit...
Stainless Steel Side Cam Bolt Suzuki GSXR/Bandit M13 Set x 4 Stainless Steel Side Cam Bolt Suzuki GSXR/Bandit M13 Set x 4

Last edited by Goobers; 08-27-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Go to hondata.com ASAP and vote for our fit model to be the next car that hondata makes their piggyback for. Right now the accord is winning but I think fit owners can take em if we get the word out on time. It would so much better than that smt8l !!! vote vote vote for our ge8!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 AM
The trick is to use multiple platforms to vote more than once so if you got an iPad, iPhone, laptop, desktop, etc and vote once on each! I was able to vote several times

Do it! Help us win! Let's maximize the potential of sprintex sc and hondata on our ge8. Even though my sprintex is gone, man if we do win, I may just keep the ge8 longer and see where this takes us. I may even reconsider getting the sc back in the future haha

One more thing to get our votes up, use different internet web browsers. I used Safari, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and was able to vote on each.

So use multiple platforms like ipad, iphone, laptop, etc and use multiple web browsers!

Spread the word! Make this go viral to all GE8 Owners!

Last edited by Fuzzyfunk; 08-29-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Gary are you still following this?

I experience limp mode during high rpm hold like others but think I see why it limps...

Been logging and notice when it limps the Analog 1 signal breaches 5 volts and instantly limps.

This area in MOD map is 1:1 so that is what ECU sees.

With that theory in mind is there any way around this other than an MAF ( I beleive thats the signal off top of my head were looking at here?) That has a wider band of resolution?
Could we recalibrate the signal to read lower in its range? Id think we would be limited by the physical flow of the MAF tube here?

Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install