2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
This morning I hooked up the laptop to the SMT8L, started LetRipp and still no data from the SMT8L. Shutdown the laptop thinking the USB cable might be the problem. As I enter my office parking garage I pulled out the power inverter with the laptop still connect and immediately check engine light come on with DTC for CKP and cylinder misfire. The USB was also connected but LetRipp was not running because the laptop is shutdown. Once I parked my car I opened the hood and disconnect the car battery for 10 seconds and reconnect. I started the engine and both the CEL and the DTC for CKP and cylinder misfire are gone without having to do any DTC clear. Tonight there will be more play time with the SMT8L and my laptop. I need to confirm whether it is a USB cable issue or a cable interference issue.

There are two signals that the SMT8L intercept and manipulate that I know of.
  • CKP signal
  • MAF signal
I thought DTCs persist in the ECM and a tool is need to clear them not just a battery disconnect.
Originally Posted by advanfit
Did your laptop have enough battery to run it on it's own? Per my experience, do not do any flash or ECU adjustment on a laptop with a power inverter. I had the same problem when I run durametric pro on my other car. Good luck
I was not downloading updates/changes from the laptop to the SMT8L. Just connecting to the SMT8L for logging; parameters/data from the SMT8L were being sent to the laptop. The laptop battery is fully charged. I am going to try with my wife laptop tonight.
I think the reason is because although your laptop was shutdown,
the USB port itself is still powered (have power) as long as your inverter (or AC wall plug if you are at home) is still connected to the laptop, and this power/current from USB is connected to the smt8L
(the smt8L get power coming into it from the USB port)
but
the moment you pull out the power inverter,
this resulting in the computer switch to the battery power (while your computer already in shutdown mode),
and it might turn the USB power into suspend mode
(this must be because inside windows 7 power setting you select USB suspend enabled during battery power).

What does "USB selective suspend" mean? - Microsoft Community

and this

Windows disable USB power saving (DisableSelectiveSuspend) | gordy.b.stronach

so suddenly the power/current from USB port of your computer to the smt8l is loss/lowered
and somehow this effect the SMT8L and trigger the check engine light.

if changing the above setting do not work, then you might want to do more research on how to keep USB port STAY in full power while your computer in shutdown mode and not connected to the inverter or the AC wall outlet (only battery powered).

I think this is the reason... because as you said the error was triggered with you pulling out the inverter, while your computer
already in shutdown mode, and your battery is fully charged.

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 01-15-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by 1SickVeilsideZ
I actually have my throttle control here at the house, I haven't installed it because I normally have my scan tool hooked up to it and I'm reading the live stats on it to monitor everything.

I'll figure out where to ground it and run the power so it doesn't have to be connected into the OBD port in case I need to hook up the scan tool.

I'll give it a test run and see how the car responds to it and report back with the results.
Fantastic. Thank you!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm curious to see you numbers too! Didn't you dyno it while at Church Automotive?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1SickVeilsideZ
I actually have my throttle control here at the house, I haven't installed it because I normally have my scan tool hooked up to it and I'm reading the live stats on it to monitor everything.

I'll figure out where to ground it and run the power so it doesn't have to be connected into the OBD port in case I need to hook up the scan tool.

I'll give it a test run and see how the car responds to it and report back with the results.
What I did with my throttle controller and lap timer, I just tapped right into the backside of the 12V accessory port for power. This freed up my OBD2 port so I could install my BT reader. You could easily just do that for your TC.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah that is quirky behavior from the SMT8L. Disconnecting the USB should not adversely affect SMT8L normal operation to trigger the fault for cylinder misfire. But it is what it is.

I don’t believe I have that level of control under Window XP. Changing my behavior and pulling out the USB cable before shutting power to the laptop is workable. This is to warn user that a false positive cylinder misfire can be triggered by the SMT8L through improper USB cable handling during laptop shutdown. One way to clear the associated DTC is to briefly cut power to the ECM by disconnecting the car's battery then reconnecting back.

I still have not the chance to dig into the communication problem between the SMT8L and the laptop. LetRipp was uploading and logging data in real-time from the SMT8L before suddenly stop. Since then I have not been successfully at uploading any data from the SMT8L. There could be a good possibility the USB cable is a goner. I have to find another USB cable.

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
I think the reason is because although your laptop was shutdown,
the USB port itself is still powered (have power) as long as your inverter (or AC wall plug if you are at home) is still connected to the laptop, and this power/current from USB is connected to the smt8L
(the smt8L get power coming into it from the USB port)
but
the moment you pull out the power inverter,
this resulting in the computer switch to the battery power (while your computer already in shutdown mode),
and it might turn the USB power into suspend mode
(this must be because inside windows 7 power setting you select USB suspend enabled during battery power).

What does "USB selective suspend" mean? - Microsoft Community

and this

Windows disable USB power saving (DisableSelectiveSuspend) | gordy.b.stronach

so suddenly the power/current from USB port of your computer to the smt8l is loss/lowered
and somehow this effect the SMT8L and trigger the check engine light.

if changing the above setting do not work, then you might want to do more research on how to keep USB port STAY in full power while your computer in shutdown mode and not connected to the inverter or the AC wall outlet (only battery powered).

I think this is the reason... because as you said the error was triggered with you pulling out the inverter, while your computer
already in shutdown mode, and your battery is fully charged.

Last edited by Steven Hung; 01-15-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah!!! I am more interested in seeing the torque curve for your car and 1SickVeilsideZ.

Originally Posted by Fuzzyfunk
I'm curious to see you numbers too! Didn't you dyno it while at Church Automotive?

Last edited by Steven Hung; 01-15-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Hey guys. I picked up our Sprintex Honda yesterday. I've never actually driven one, much less with our kit on it. Wow! This little thing is fun! It's not scary fast, but definitely fun to point and shoot out of a corner.

The auto trans feels great. It's not overpowered, except for first gear. There's no wheel hop or torque steer. I like that it's easy to get used to. It is very well mannered.

Visiting with family today and will be back in OKC tomorrow.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
My car has some torque steering in 2rd gear at around 5000 rpm when driven hard in cold weather. The car would be more fun with a limited slip differential to power out of corner quicker.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
My car has some torque steering in 2rd gear at around 5000 rpm when driven hard in cold weather. The car would be more fun with a limited slip differential to power out of corner quicker.
Limited slip with a taller final drive and some 225mm rubber with your torque curve would be tits.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
I'm having some issues loading the Church map. I was able to upload and save the current map, but when I tried to load the Church map I got: "The download data had a problem in the format, Unit returned a question mark!!"
Have any of you seen this? There is reference to this error in the manual page 16. It says to make sure to use decimal points instead of commas, but it does not tell you specifically where to change this setting?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
I'm having some issues loading the Church map. I was able to upload and save the current map, but when I tried to load the Church map I got: "The download data had a problem in the format, Unit returned a question mark!!"
Have any of you seen this? There is reference to this error in the manual page 16. It says to make sure to use decimal points instead of commas, but it does not tell you specifically where to change this setting?
I'm not entirely sure, but you might have inserted a comma in a datapoint where it expects a decimal point. The output file is comma delimited, meaning it reads commas a breakpoint between datapoints. A comma in the middle of a 2 digit number in a table, like "2,5" instead of "2.5" can mess it up.

Try saving the map as a different file name, too. Every time you make a map, save it under a new file name instead of overwriting the old file. This form of "version control" is a healthy habit. I number my files as they evolve or use a date in the file name like "1 18 14"

I've got 23 years of experience programming computers and 10 with programming ECUs and piggybacks. It's still occasionally a challenge to work with this unit. I don't expect you guys to get it overnight.

FYI--Don't open the raw output file as text and mess with it.

Last edited by SprintexUSA; 01-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 AM
BTW, now that I have this car in my hands I can better assist you guys.

I did get it to limp, but at low rpm out of boost. You guys have talked about limp near redline. Has anyone had issues driving with a light foot?

I threw in some fresh stock plugs gapped at .038. I can get colder plugs around here, but one thing at a time.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
My car is refusing to go above 3000 RPM either at neutral or in any gear and not allowing the car to exceed 60 mph. The problem started this past Thursday. I thought I might need to clear my ECM/PCM. But I was wrong because clearing the ECM/PCM didn’t seem to fix the problem. Thanks Item9 for meeting me today at DuPont Registry Car and Coffee to clear my ECM/PCM. I owe you one. Your CR-Z is very cool and nicely done. My car has been running fine for a little over 1000 miles. Cylinder misfire can be seen in both the base map and the new map from Church Automotive.

Since Thursday afternoon I started to have problems with cylinder misfire and no matter what I do the DTC P0335 would not go away. Thinking that it might be a problem with my DIY intake that I installed on Tuesday night I reverted back to the stock air box. Even with the stock air box the DTC persists. I even got MAF circuit low voltage. The MAF low voltage DTC drove me a little bit nuts on Friday night. This MAF low voltage occurs with a new MAF sensor that I brought from Rock Auto two weeks ago as well as the old MAF sensor. On Friday night with a multi-meter at hand I traced the wiring from the MAF sensor to the SMT8L harness and from the SMT8L harness to the ECM. The third wire on the MAF sensor harness feeds air flow signal to the SMT8L Signal 1 input PIN 7 of the 12 PIN connector. This MAF sensor signal is then route from SMTL8L signal 1 output PIN 5 of the 10 PIN connector back to the ECM/PCM.

Since I was in the mood to poke around at the SMT8L I traced the CKP pulse/RPM signal output from the SMT8L frequency output PIN 2 of 10 PIN connector to the ECM/PCM. I have not trace the CKP sensor pulse input to the SMT8L yet. But I suspect it would probably be CKP sensor to frequency input PIN 2 of the 12 PIN connector. Since I could see the RPM in both LetRipp and UltraGauge I am not too concerns.

The supplementary fuel injector is connected to the car’s 13 PIN connector 10. Another wire from the supplementary injector connects to the SMT8L load signal 2 output PIN 10 on the 10 PIN connector.

Now back to the problem at hand. The pattern I noticed in LetRipp is whenever Analog #2 input is 0.0, AMP input V and AMP (MAP) is not consistent with the actual atmospheric pressure ~14.8 there is the cylinder misfire DTC and/or MAF sensor low voltage. If Analog #2 input V is greater than 0.00 the car run perfectly. I wish I know what signal analog #2 input is getting it input voltage from. The analog #1 input voltage and the analog #2 output seem to be fine.

What is a SystemLogg001.RDR? I found one in the Tune_MapFiles with 309 bytes.

Screen dump of LetRipp with the cylinder misfire.
Name:  4644c4c8-e88b-40a7-a060-c5060d00cc8d_zps440930b5.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  129.4 KB

Screen dump with my ScanTool.
Name:  d4e95b81-f3db-4d42-bc0c-aabea08b7d88_zps73b27f1d.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  102.4 KB

BTW I also do software development—mainly pseudo real-time C/C++ and Java but in banking and having been doing it since graduating college in 1988.

Last edited by Steven Hung; 01-18-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Gary- Good to hear that you have access to the test vehicle now. What do you guys think caused the limp when you drove it?

Also, I shot you an email today but got one back saying my message was returned. I just wanted to ask if you guys have any pulley covers to sell. I have seen them pictured here and there, and I saw one on the test car on RPM's website. If you guys do not manufacture any for our kit, do you have any for one of your Jeep kits that would fit ours?

Steven- Not good to hear that about your car. I hope you get it solved sir! I keep putting off datalogging because I am worried about plugging up my laptop to the piggyback. I have been blessed enough to not have any issues so far, and I am worried that this may cause something to go wrong (I know this is very irrational).

Do you think any of your current problems have anything to do with you tweaking the piggyback with your laptop?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I really don’t know if connecting the laptop caused the problem. The SMT8L and my insufficient knowledge of the custom harness and it PIN to sensors wiring is too much of a black box. I am going to try to trace the wire for analog #2 input and see where that leads. With the car running I want to see the voltage on analog #2 input. AMP input voltage from the GM 1 bar map sensor is too low. Normally it should be 4.92 volts. I want to verify the voltage with the car running. My suspicion is that it might be a ground wire issue that could be fixed easily. I want to rule out the obvious.

Aaahhhh I want one of those pulley cover as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Just got back from Church Automotive. Had my Fit tuned to my Injen cold air intake as I previously had to use the airbox with the previous tune we got. With the airbox I couldn't hear that "whining" sound, but with the cai I can definitely hear it and it sounds wonderful to my ears. LOL. I'll try and scan the graphs I was given soon and post it here. I also took some video. I'd like some help interpreting the graphs from you guys so I can learn more since I am still so very new to all this. hehe. I can only understand a few things still from the graphs.

Also, it looks like I will need a bigger fuel pump according to them as my oem one cannot keep up with the boost. Was told not to go over 5500 rpm to be on the safe side other wise it will run lean. This is perfectly fine for me for now as I don't think I've ever really gone past 5k. Any recommended fuel pump brand/models I should get? Once I upgrade my fuel pump, will I need another tuning session? Or will the upgrade do it for me?

Last edited by Fuzzyfunk; 01-18-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 PM
I really don’t know if connecting the laptop caused the problem. The SMT8L and my insufficient knowledge of the custom harness and it PIN to sensors wiring is too much of a black box. I am going to try to trace the wire for analog #2 input and see where that leads. With the car running I want to see the voltage on analog #2 input. AMP input voltage from the GM 1 bar map sensor is too low. Normally it should be 4.92 volts. I want to verify the voltage with the car running. My suspicion is that it might be a ground wire issue that could be fixed easily. I want to rule out the obvious.

Aaahhhh I want one of those pulley cover as well.
Ours was a ground wire! Wiggle your harness and see if it dies. The pin in the snaller harness is a little loose on the connector into the box. Crimping it slightly fixed it.

We will also clean up the map a bit while I have Jay here stateside. He is tweaking the stock injector signals. I still have a touch of ping on the low end. We can richen the mix with both the stock injectors and the piggyback. More stuff for the FAQ to update this week.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by SprintexUSA
BTW, now that I have this car in my hands I can better assist you guys.

I did get it to limp, but at low rpm out of boost. You guys have talked about limp near redline. Has anyone had issues driving with a light foot?

I threw in some fresh stock plugs gapped at .038. I can get colder plugs around here, but one thing at a time.
Yes I previously had issue with driving with a light foot though it didn't limp. It starts off randomly when I'm at a complete stop and gently press on the gas at green light to start moving and sometimes feels like the car is about to choke but then suddenly picks up as I press the gas harder. This was with the map given to me from Church. Now that I had it retuned by them with my cai, it's running a lot smoother. No issues so far from a complete stop.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I traced the wiring on the SMT8L and also verified twice. The ground wire from the SMT8L has been moved from engine ground to chassis ground. My next step for tomorrow is to verify voltage supplied to both the GM 1 bar and 3 bar map sensor and then check voltage on the sensor signal to that the SMT8L. Then I would check for loose PIN connection to the SMT8L from their custom harness.

SMT8L 12 Pins Connector
Pin Signal Description
1, 12V Supply, Honda Ignition On battery voltage
2, Freq (in), Not Used
3, Analog 3 (in), Not Used
4, AIRT (in), Sprintex supplied GM IAT sensor
5, TPS (in), Signal from PIN 10-10
6, GND, Chassis ground – See PIN 1-10
7, Analog 1 (in), Honda MAF sensor
8, Map switch, Not Used
9, Analog 2 (in), Sprintex supplied GM 3 Bar map sensor
10, AMP (in), Sprintex supplied GM 1 Bar map sensor
11, Eng Temp, (in) Honda Coolant sensor
12, AFR (in), Honda A/ F sensor Signal and signal to PIN 3-10

SMT8l 10 Pins Connector
1, GND, Chassis ground – See PIN 6-12
2, Freq (out), CKP sensor signal out to Honda ECM/PCM
3, WB (out), Signal from PIN 12-12
4, Analog 3 (out), Voltage to Sprintex supplied GM 3 Bar and 1 Bar map sensor
5, Analog 1 (out), MAF signal out to Honda ECM/PCM
6, Injector 1 (out), Sprintex supplied supplementary injector
7, Ign (out), Not Used
8, Ign (In), Honda CKP sensor
9, AFR (out), Not Used
10, Analog 2 (out), Signal to PIN 5-12

Last edited by Steven Hung; 01-19-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I couldn’t wait until tomorrow so I went ahead and test the voltage output at Analog 3 out, Pin 4-10. The voltage when the car is not running with key at position II is around 1.67 volts and with car running is also the same. It should be ~5 volts with the car running to both GM map sensors wired in a parallel circuit. Voltage reading was also taken at the GM MAP sensor harness power source wire and is consistent with the power voltage provided by the analog 3 out. I took voltage reading from AMP (in) Pin 10-12 and it was around 1.67. Voltage at Analog 2 in, PIN 9-12 was in the milli-volts.

· Analog 3 out provide power source for both GM map sensor
· AMP (in) provide voltage signal from the 1 bar map sensor, ~1.67 volts
· Analog 2 (in) provide voltage signal from the 3 bar map sensor, in the milli-volts

So I decided to check the voltage supplied to the SMT8L PIN 1-12. There was plenty of power with a running car at ~14.27 volts. After checking the voltage at PIN 1-12, I also check the MAF sensor voltage signal at PIN 7-12. The voltage reading on my ExTech EX330 multi-meter was slightly higher by 3/10 of a point compare to LetRipp but acceptable

· PIN 1-12 provide power to the SMT8L when ignition is on, ~14.27 volts

Is there any way to increase the power source voltage to analog 3 out in LetRipp? I don’t really want to rewire a 5 volts power source to both the GM 3 map and 1 bar map sensor.

Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install