2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Aem fic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
All I am saying is to research E85. The problems in the 2003 Ford were on regular gas and not E85. I should have said that. It does produce more HP for the money and if it wasn't for the water separation problems and availability, I would find a way to use it.

I definitely agree on researching E85 before use!

I think MSILVEST04 will find you (SB) pretty handy for that when he gets ready to make the transition!

There are tradeoffs with every fuel, so it comes down to what is right for you and what you are comfortable with.
To OP
For your goal of ~200whp worth of air on E85 (I'll do the worst case BSFC math tonight if I get a chance), you might need to mount a second fuel pump inline, which is actually pretty easy on most cars, I will likely have to do it on my GD to support some real boost anyways so hopefully if things progress as they have been I can make a DIY on that over the summer!

I've done it almost a dozen times now on all sorts of cars, and when I made the switch from stock on my Laser over to braided SS -8AN fuel lines and a Golan SS element fuel filter, a Walbro 255lph intank pump, a big honkin in-line Bosch pump, Aeromotive AFPR etc. The whole process from install to first fire took 8 hours.

That is including trimming braided SS fuel lines, which you should DEFINITELY look into some very thick leather gloves. This is not a recommendation, its a requirement..

The first time I went through it I had more bloody holes in my fingers in one afternoon than a diabetic gets in a life time. Then get some fuel on those cuts when you go to tighten all the compression fittings and jog the pumps to find any leaks and you start thinking we could use that as "enhanced interrogation"

Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
You guys thanks for all the help this is the one thing I look forward to in my day is learning something new about tuning, fuel types, its truly breath taking. The plan is 3 months I should have S/C and FIC (went to foxwoods in connecticut hoping to shortern that but clearly luck was not on my side) I'm also going around 500cc/min injectors now possibly bigger I have to figure out how much fuel I would need delivered onE85 does anybody know what the stock pump can handle in terms of fuel delivery

Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
DSC
If you have a tuning solution that does not require me to cut/solder a million wires please let me know.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by DSC
If you have a tuning solution that does not require me to cut/solder a million wires please let me know.
That is the only possible way that I've been seeing.... Or you can pay somebody to do it unfortunately

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MSILVEST04
You guys thanks for all the help this is the one thing I look forward to in my day is learning something new about tuning, fuel types, its truly breath taking. The plan is 3 months I should have S/C and FIC (went to foxwoods in connecticut hoping to shortern that but clearly luck was not on my side) I'm also going around 500cc/min injectors now possibly bigger I have to figure out how much fuel I would need delivered onE85 does anybody know what the stock pump can handle in terms of fuel delivery
I would think the fuel pump and tank would have to be changed. You need a pump capable of flowing almost twice the stock pump. You also need a fuel pressure regulator so you can add more fuel that way too. The tank might be alright but a stainless steel one and new fuel lines might be better for ethanol.

I know when we were running nitrous we use a fuel pressure regulator to add fuel. Honda stock fuel pump does have capabilities to add horsepower over stock but probable not more than 20 percent. This is what I observed and DSM can add to this.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I would think the fuel pump and tank would have to be changed. You need a pump capable of flowing almost twice the stock pump. You also need a fuel pressure regulator so you can add more fuel that way too. The tank might be alright but a stainless steel one and new fuel lines might be better for ethanol.

I know when we were running nitrous we use a fuel pressure regulator to add fuel. Honda stock fuel pump does have capabilities to add horsepower over stock but probable not more than 20 percent. This is what I observed and DSM can add to this.
Are there stainless steel fuel tanks available for the fit? If so what is the cost for one. Also rails and fuel pressure regs and lines..... Ball Park range of price
Thank you

Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Are there stainless steel fuel tanks available for the fit? If so what is the cost for one. Also rails and fuel pressure regs and lines..... Ball Park range of price
Thank you

Tank is fine, lines will be fine. Trust me.

Your rail should also be adequate. I have to take a look at mine when I get a chance to see how to go about removing it and running a new return line system and an AFPR

You may need to add a pump or increase the voltage to the stock fuel pump or just add an in-line bosch.

In the event you do need fuel pressure regulator you have to get one that raises fuel pressure 1:1 with boost and will run you up to $200, the -6AN size lines to plumb that in should be in the region of $80-100, $90-200 for a second pump, $25 for wiring in and putting a relay using the stock pump trigger wire, and maybe $50 in fittings.

This would give you a killer fuel setup and depending on the pump can support north of 400whp worth of E85.

But in the mean time I would focus on using gas till you get a feel for your new setup. You don't want to change everything all at once.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-31-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Fuel pressure reg: sx performance model #15404
What kind of pump am I looking for for an inline? Can I get away with a walbro 255 lph in-tank (if they make one that fits the fit gas tank)?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Fuel pressure reg: sx performance model #15404
What kind of pump am I looking for for an inline? Can I get away with a walbro 255 lph in-tank (if they make one that fits the fit gas tank)?
Yes a single Walbro GSS341 (255lph, High Pressure version) would support your goals, even on E85.

I do not think there is a version made to fit on our Fit's fuel pump hangers. There is a member that posts here often I can't remember if it is TunaDaMan or NIGHTHAWK, if I recall correctly that installed a Walbro pump in tank.

There is a guy in Bahrain and another in Indonesia who have used Walbro's on my suggestion as well but they don't post much here and I forget if they went in-line or in-tank, I only talk to them via PM so I will see if they can give me any info.

A big single is nice in terms of reliability, unless you wire two pumps to fail at the same time if the other goes. Two pumps in series hold up to boost and keep flow up more efficiently.

There's advantages to both. In your case a bigger single would be ideal. If you can make it fit that is. It could be easy as clamping it in the hanger, rewiring and then clamping a hose between the pump and the bulkhead fitting. This would allow you to use the stock feed line, but you would need to switch to a stainless steel filter element when you switch to E85.

Then on the return side, if the new pump over runs the regulator on regular gas, it will definitely over run on E85 so you will need an AFPR, and I recommend an Aeromotive AFPR, as well as possibly having to increase the size of the return line, which should be pretty easy.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM
So I calculated that I need 80# injectors roughly to run E85. the -6AN lines I need ... Are those going all the way through the car and where do you mount the AFPR?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
E85 is available right where I work I was always set on 93 octane. Will fuel burn increase with E85 I mean I'm commuting 30 miles 1 way so with a 10 gallon tank I'm good for about 5-6 days on one tank so will I be around the same with E85 fuel? Do I need to do anything to the vehicle fuel delivery wise with injectors that big?

I was looking around and found this but this is for a conversion to both fuels and not directly related to turbos so more research is need before using. E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com I also read form a honda forum that no more power porduce but was able to use both fuels.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 03-31-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
So I calculated that I need 80# injectors roughly to run E85. the -6AN lines I need ... Are those going all the way through the car and where do you mount the AFPR?
For your purposes you don’t need something quite that large. 80lbs/hr is roughly 850cc/min.

850cc/min @ 43.5 psi base fuel pressure can squirt enough E85 to support mass air flow of ~38lbs/min @ 80% duty cycle. Or ~47lbs/min @ 100% duty cycles.

~38lbs/min air flow is good for more than 350whp.

As far as the lines are concerned, you may have to do a little modification. And it may require running a line to and from the rail using bulkhead fittings to plumb them into the stock pump hanger assembly. One for the pump outlet and the other for the return line coming off the AFPR.

A fuel system with a return line has the pump feed from the tank through one side of the rail. Then from the outlet side of the rail to a fuel pressure regulator, and from the regulator it flows the rest back to the tank.

Basically the difference is that our Fits come stock with the fuel pressure regulator mounted in tank as part of the fuel pump assembly. The regulator is tee'd off of the pump outlet.

Which essentially looks like this:

In order to mount a larger pump you will need to change to a return style system, because otherwise you will be over-running the stock fuel pressure regulator and have no way to control fuel pressure appropriately for boost and that will make tuning a nightmare.

Our Fits have a returnless fuel system. So your best bet is to put in a larger pump and then run -6AN from the pump hanger all the way to the filter and from the filter to the rail. At the rail you will have to run a tee'd line and have that attach to both the feed line and the AFPR. Then from the AFPR you run a boost reference line and then your fuel return line back to the bulkhead fitting you will have to install on the pump hanger.

This is basically what you have to do:

Good links for this:
Browser Warning
Browser Warning

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 04-01-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
This is from some one who did all that to his Fit, and this is what the before and after shots of the stock fuel pump and regulator look like while installed in the stock pump hanger assembly.

Originally Posted by alf74

Originally Posted by alf74

I did it!!!

About 3 hours of work..

Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok so total list for 200+ hp setup for 93-E85 setup so far...
1. Sprintex S/C
2. AEM FIC
3. Injectors size=550cc/min
4. Walbro 255lph in tank
5. AFPR
6. -6AN lines
7. Colder Spark plugs
8. Weapon R header
9. T1R B-Pipe
10. Shit load of tuning
Anything else I missed please tell me

Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Is alf74 still on the forums?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so total list for 200+ hp setup for 93-E85 setup so far...
1. Sprintex S/C
2. AEM FIC
3. Injectors size=550cc/min
4. Walbro 255lph in tank
5. AFPR
6. -6AN lines
7. Colder Spark plugs
8. Weapon R header
9. T1R B-Pipe
10. Shit load of tuning
Anything else I missed please tell me
You will need a Wideband O2 sensor and gauge!

List looks good so far, I'll see if I can think of anything you are missing. Sorry for the delay.. I've been Juggling a bunch of school work lately, and just started tutoring kids in math and science as a sidejob.

I need a better primary job..

Is alf74 still on the forums?
His last login was 12/18/2010 so maybe send him a PM or post a question in that thread and it might bump him via email!

Anyone looking for someone who can learn fast and already experienced in many fields.. from machining(CNC/Mastercam or manual lathes), welding(Gas/Arc/MIG), framing/roofing, automotive repair/modification, as well as retail and/or operations management?

Recently my specialty has been Merchant Processing and I can run a small company. (Invoicing/Loss Prevention/Electronics Repair & Programming/Shipping/Customer Service, etc.)

I'm being paid dirt by an egomaniac with no sense of responsibility to his employees or any pretense of organization and time management.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You will need a Wideband O2 sensor and gauge!

List looks good so far, I'll see if I can think of anything you are missing. Sorry for the delay.. I've been Juggling a bunch of school work lately, and just started tutoring kids in math and science as a sidejob.

I need a better primary job..

His last login was 12/18/2010 so maybe send him a PM or post a question in that thread and it might bump him via email!

Anyone looking for someone who can learn fast and already experienced in many fields.. from machining(CNC/Mastercam or manual lathes), welding(Gas/Arc/MIG), framing/roofing, automotive repair/modification, as well as retail and/or operations management?

Recently my specialty has been Merchant Processing and I can run a small company. (Invoicing/Loss Prevention/Electronics Repair & Programming/Shipping/Customer Service, etc.)

I'm being paid dirt by an egomaniac with no sense of responsibility to his employees or any pretense of organization and time management.
Are you a teacher or student?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Are you a teacher or student?
Currently a full-time student myself, and I will be wrapping up a Business degree this semester and then going on to a second starting next fall.

But recently I have been tutoring some kids in math and science for the past few weeks. My GF's an english teacher and suggested I try it because I already spend the day doing math/science stuff of one form or another and for anything involving HS/College Math (up to Calc 2) or Physics and a good deal of Chemistry.

But so far just a couple junior high kids and one in HS.

Needs to be around here because I take care of my dad too.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Damn your a busy guy you plan on opening up a tuning shop? You definetly should

Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
im just going to throw it out there I have a FIC im not using

Quick Reply: Aem fic