1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Winter tire recommendations for '08 Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Winter tire recommendations for '08 Sport?

Title says it all. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
Any snow tire you buy will be head and shoulders above the regular all-seasons in grip.

We bought the 14" steelie rims (with snows) when we first got our '07 Fit Sport...a Tire Rack package. We are on our second set of snows. We are using the stock sizes.

This time of year several manufacturers offer rebates on purchases of four tires. Be a smart shopper.

+++++++++++

If you obsess about actual grip (perhaps you have a steep, unplowed hill to climb after a snowfall?) then Consumer Reports has ratings. Another source of information are the Tire Rack ratings/reviews.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
My first set for my '08 Fit was a Tire Rack set of Sport Edition wheels on sale with Pirelli Winter Carving studded tires. AWESOME except you can no longer usually get 55 offset wheels for the most part. My local mechanic has Hunter wheel balance equipment and mounts and balances my tires true. He sells Nokian and I had to go with what he had available a couple years ago, Hakkapelitta studded in 196 60R 15. They have performed truly beyond belief. The 60 aspect ratio adds a few MM to the diameter without adding width; this makes winter tires more efficient. A tire man explained it to me as: imagine the same weight in PSI applied to the heel of a shoe through a wide, flat heel, then imagine that same weight applied through a stiletto heel. Make sense? The extra diameter also fills out the wheel well enough to remove the geeky appearance from the Fit. I now use the same size in summer. Studded tires are useful if you live in a place where ice at highway speeds is a concern. Studs do not work at low speeds; they protrude by centrifugal force at speed, digging in to the ice. The bottom line is, get 55 offset wheels and the best winter tires you can afford. You will not regret it.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned my 08 sport since New, with almost 125 ,000 miles on it, I went with a 110.oo tire from dumblot, and was in fact very disappointed, for that money, spend a bit more and go with steelies, yes you lose the TPMS, but who cares, when your blowing past BMW, VW , AUDI's going up hill on a snow covered road, btw the biemer was sliding backwards, wish I had a camera for his face. I'm going to try Firestones all seasons, for the front, if they don't work well , I well move them to the back and buy two new bridgestones snow tires for the front. Oh, I did just leave the steelies on, the car sticks to the road like glue. good luck.