1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

GD will not start after filling with gas.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:07 PM
GD will not start after filling with gas.

So this is the third time this has happened to me. I go to the gas station and fill up my tank. When I get back in the car it will not start. I have read that on other cars that have had the same problem they replaced the purge valve and fixed the problem. So I went to Honda and bought a new one and installed it. Today I filled back up with gas and it will not start. I have to let is set for about an hour to an hour and a half and it will start after sitting. Anyone else have an issue like this. Its a 2007 fit sport with 138k miles. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Do you hear the fuel pump running for two seconds after turning key to ON (not to start)?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes the fuel pump is coming on. I even verified by disconnecting the fuel line going to the fuel rail.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Several suggestions:
try to start without gas cap
clip shut the purge hose at throttle body
If no help obtain scanner that reads life data

Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
This has happened to my '07 Fit Sport as well. It's happened about 3-4 times and assume its cause I was probably overfilling the tank. I never found a solution so I'm always filling it about 8 gallons at a time and hasn't given me any issues since.

I'm not that involved with repairs so if there's an easy solution, that'd be great! Till then I just won't overfill it.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by doctor J
Several suggestions:
try to start without gas cap
clip shut the purge hose at throttle body
If no help obtain scanner that reads life data
Doctor J,
I tried to start without gas cap, clip shut the purge hose had no luck with either. I did find a crack on the bottom of my intake manifold (weapon r aluminum). Rewelded the manifold to eliminate that. After the repair the check engine light came on. The code is P0497. I have access to a scanner that does live data. What would I be looking for with that if it will not start?
Thanks for your help.
Blake

Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
The code indicates low evap purge flow rate and was probably set as a result of purge hose clamping. Erase code and see if it happens again.
During cranking when engine fails to start start look at cranking rpm (must be indicating more than 0)
data from ECT (the engine coolant temperature) shoul;d be close to the one before switching engine off (not read 80 degrees C before shut down and 40 degrees when re-starting within 5 minutes)
and MAP reading (should be same as baro sensor before starting (like 100 Kpa at sea level)
This data should mean:
no input from crank position sensor will not trigger spark or open injectors
sensors off will not make a proper mixture
When fuel pressure is present during start, on mechanically sound engine either delay in spark or injector operation or rich mixture could prevent engine from starting.
we tried to eliminate fuel vapor leak into intake by clamping purge hose.
There is a slim chance that EGR valve may stuck partly open but this will trigger code.
Nest step will be checking for the spark at the end of coil. (spark tester will be preferred)