1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Poor Transition when Changing Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Poor Transition when Changing Gears

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2007 Fit Sport automatic transmission that has about 140k miles. We bought it used about 2 years ago. In the last month or so while driving we've noticed that it doesn't seem to be changing gears as smoothly as it previously did. It's hard to describe but it feels like it's slipping/vibrating/jerking a little as I accelerate into different gears. I know next to nothing about cars so I'm sorry for such a vague description. Does that description make sense to anyone? It's due for an inspection so I was planning on getting that and an oil change done on Saturday. I'm thinking of mentioning it to my mechanic but I'm not sure how helpful that description will be. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Has it ever had the transmission fluid changed?

Don't know how to describe it to your mechanic? Take him for a drive and show him what it is doing. An actual demonstration is worth more than a page of description.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if the transmission fluid has been changed. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in the last two years, since I've had the car.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mh1361
I'm not sure if the transmission fluid has been changed. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in the last two years, since I've had the car.
Then, you need to do that. It's a simple drain and fill (this replaces about 40% of the fluid). If you don't have any other records, you may want to have the mechanic drain & fill 3 times (with a short drive in between each drain). That changes almost ALL the fluid.

And, make sure your shop uses Honda DW-1 ATF for the greatest longevity. Other fluids don't last.

In the future, do one drain & fill with DW-1 every 30K miles or three years.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM
I just did this last week.

Check out my post. I have a 2008 so its similar to your vehicle. If all you want to do is replace the transmission fluid, the it should take you only about an hour.

That said you did say you take your vehicle in for oil changes so maybe you're not comfortable with working on your car. That's OK.

Only thing I would suggest is a complete fluid change like I did and not just replacing the 3 quarts you will get out of the sump.

If your going to get it serviced. The drain/fill - drain/fill approach will cost you more in labor hours and more in atf fluid. It will also get you a less pure product at the end. If ATF hasn't changed in 142k, it's garbage. Blending 3 quarts of new DW-1 with the remaining 4 quarts of garbage is still primarily garbage. You'd have to do it at least 3 - 4 times to get to a decent concentration of new atf to old. That almost wasting 12 quarts for a car that holds a little over 6.

The fluid exchange method burns about 8 quarts and only requires one labor hour at a service shop

Last edited by forwardrefresh; 04-14-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone. Forwardrefresh, I'm not comfortable working on my car. And I don't really have a place to work on it right now since we live in an apartment building and park in an open public lot. I've changed the oil once with help so I might be able to do that successfully on my own. I hope to learn more about doing my own maintenance once I have a better space to do it.

So my plan will be to take the car in for an inspection and oil change and ask that they also completely replace the transmission fluid, not just the typical 3 quarts or 40%. And I'll try and see what fluid they use. Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
The fluid type is extremely important. It might be best to buy it yourself and bring it in.

This can make or break your transmission. I would recommend genuine honda atf fluid dw1 only. Any honda dealership will carry this

Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I called a Honda dealer and I can buy the transmission fluid from them. And they said if the transmission fluid has never been changed before they don't recommend doing the full exchange. Is that good advice? I'm not planning on getting it serviced by them but if your interested the partial change costs about $100 and the full exchange costs about $200. They charge $120/hour for labor. The fluid costs $8.18/quart. So the plan is to buy the fluid from them and get it done at a local place I've used before. How many quarts should I buy?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 PM
I'd go with their recommendation. This is a unique situation and they may have unique requirements. If you're not doing a full exchange you probably only need 3 quarts but 4 would be safer.

Personally I don't understand why a full replacement would be bad but I can't say I'm qualified to say otherwise.

Last edited by forwardrefresh; 04-15-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
You need just over 3 qts per drain and fill. So, buy 10 quarts to do it three times.

Usually a 'full replacement' is done with a 'flush machine' by shops. This can dislodge dirt and clutch chaff which can then clog the orifices in the transmission's valve body.