1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

my dealer no help with my stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 AM
my dealer no help with my stalling

i have had the car for a year was reading on the form about replacing coils and valve adjustment and spark plugs , i figure before i guess and throw parts at the car hoping to my fix problem my dealer would narrow the issue down,but my dealer and $130 later was still no help they told me could be valve adjust start there ,but will not rule out defective coil or coils ,for the valve adjustment they want $475 ,so to me they are guessing like i would,
now as i drive when accelerating(load on engine) now my check engine flashes and has no power mis's (surging)real bad then the light goes off when it stops surging, if i am driving normal no check engine light,.check engine light only comes on when the engine surging.

when my car reached 80K car would stall intermittently stall for no reason,then when coming to a traffic light intermittently stalls,and when at a traffic light surging is felt, now it seems to get worse i just wish the check engine light would stay on and narrow the issue,car just passed emission so i am ruling out emission related .. what should i do now?????

Last edited by stutrac; 12-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
my dealer would narrow the issue down,but my dealer and $130 later was still no help they told me could be valve adjust start there ,but will not rule out defective coil or coils ,for the valve adjustment they want $475 ,so to me they are guessing like i would,
If the car does not act up during testing, all anyone can do is look at the evidence (and your story) and take a guess (hopefully educated and experienced, but that's not always the case).

I know on the very first Fit coil failure I ever had to diagnose it did not act up for me....but nobody could tell me the whole story on the first try either.

Turns out the customer had been driving around town for an hour with no problems but when he left town and had been on the interstate for 20-30 minutes it started missing.
Once I had that handy info, I changed my test strategy accordingly.

Sure can't find that during a 5 minute test drive, and unless you want to pay $4+ per minute for a techs windshield time, you're gonna get guesses.

now my check engine flashes
Misfire. What code set when it happens?
Sounds like a typical coil problem to me, gotta figure out which one(s) are failing. If all are original it's probably in your best interest to change out the set of four.
And if you're near 100k it may be due for plugs while you're in there if they haven't been done.

But you could have a combination of multiple issues, it sure happens.

If it stalls while misfiring, then I'd do coils first and see how it goes.

IF the misfire issue is not present when the stall occurs, then it may need the valves adjusted.
Tight valves sure can make the engines stall out kinda randomly.

Probably does need all the above....and the price seems about right for the valve adjust.

Tight valves can lead to burned valves, so if the misfire issues persist after coils and valve adjustment, do a compression test.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:30 PM
The tech road tested the car and he felt the issue i was describing he said the exhaust valve MAY be tight but can not confirm , but still would not rule out possible coil or coils ,i am going to get another option at another dealer and see what they say, i was not happy what the first dealer said.. seem like they just want me to give them a open check book to find the issue. i have no codes, light comes on when only when it surges, it flashes a few times and as soon as the surging stops the light goes off, i would figure the check engine light would stay on

Last edited by stutrac; 12-05-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
No codes stored and problem not occurring when it's at the shop? It's going to take an open checkbook to find. Since you've got to crack it open to inspect the valves, you might as well just do the valve adjustment or hope that the next stall happens right in front of a dealership- at which point if it's not the electrics they're still not going to be able to find the cause without cracking it open and inspecting the valves.

You're about due for some maintenance, and it seems at least one of those things failed a bit early. You can keep wasting time and money on pinpointing the exact item, or you can just do the maintenance. Your assumption that everyone's out to cheat you is costing you time, money and aggravation: that $130 diag could have put a big dent in your valve adjustment. The next dealer's diag charge will mean you've wasted more than half of the adjustment's cost on diag time- and the plugs and coils aren't getting any younger.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
My 07 Fit had an issue with misfiring and stalling. The problem was the number one cylinder's coil pack or spark plug. Unfortunately, the engine computer was indicating all four cylinders were randomly misfiring. Instead of replacing all four coil packs and spark plugs my neighborhood mechanic replaced the engine computer which then indicated that the problem was only on the number one cylinder. My mechanic purchased a used computer from eBay. The entire repair including a new coil pack and spark plug was less than $500.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 PM
i drove 2hrs to a friend of mine , in another state, and i told him what my issue was and he found the issue fairly quick, my local dealer 20 min away could not find. #1 coil defective and replaced 4 plugs ,so far so good, he did check the valves and they were fine so far, so i guess my local dealer wanted me to waste money on a guess,i will never be going back to them....

Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by stutrac
i drove 2hrs to a friend of mine , in another state, and i told him what my issue was and he found the issue fairly quick, my local dealer 20 min away could not find. #1 coil defective and replaced 4 plugs ,so far so good, he did check the valves and they were fine so far, so i guess my local dealer wanted me to waste money on a guess,i will never be going back to them....
good catch!