1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Question Involving DTC Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Question Involving DTC Codes

Hello all,

I own a 2007 automatic Fit and today I started having a misfire problem. I've already searched around on here and found some good advice, but my problem is a bit different from others'.

I'm getting codes p0300, p0301, and p0303, however it only happens at higher RPM's. I can get through gears 1-3 or 4 before the engine light starts flashing and the car hesitates to accelerate. If I slow down to a stop and take off again, nothing happens until I get up into the high RPM's again.

I thought it could be bad gas, since my last fill-up had ethanol in it, so I drove to a station to put in better gas and a fuel treatment, and on the way there I couldn't replicate the problem. I got up to about 70 mph on an empty road with no engine light. I filled up with 91 octane 100% gas, put in some fuel system cleaner with water remover, and left the station. I drove around town for a bit with no problem, but later on that same empty road, I got up to about 60 and the light started flashing again. When I stopped at a stop sign and took off again, no light.

Is there any reason this problem would happen intermittently? I'm on a pretty limited college budget, so I'd like to find the source of the problem without spending a ton of money up-front for coil packs. I can't get into my local Honda dealership until wednesday, so until then I'm left to investigate on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
You don't mention mileage or any maintenance you have previously done.

But my initial reaction is to at least check plug gap, then do a valve adjustment. You can do those operations yourself in a day for a minimal investment (just need some tools and feeler gauges).

Let us know the outcome.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
if it happens on the cold engine it is likely to be the valve adjustment. If it happens when engine is hot the problem sound more to be ignition system related.
PS for the valve adjustment in addition to the tools you still will need to get valve cover and upper intake gasket sets!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I hate to contradict the other posters but I'd bet it was the ignition coils. I'd go ahead and change the coils and depending on the mileage, I'd change all the plugs while I was in there.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
If you're on a tight budget, but have some mechanical expertise and time, you may want to try reconditioning your coils before replacing them. Read https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-answers.html
You didn't get too specific in your problem, but the condition I had was a slight "stutter" on acceleration, meaning it seemed like the the engine just shut off for a split second. I replaced my spark plugs, disassembled the plug boot portion of the coil packs and cleaned all the contact surfaces. At the time it had just over 70k miles. It's been about 3 weeks now with a few periods of low temps, down to 0 degrees at times and it starts and runs just fine. I violated the primary diagnostic rule of just trying one fix at a time, since I did both the coil recon and new plugs in one operation, but the old plugs looked fine, so I doubt they were the cause of my condition. I may be frugal, but I couldn't justify going thru the time and trouble of removing all 4 coils on a 70k motor without spending the $50 for new plugs.
If the condition I described, which you've probably seen dozens of time on the forum if you've been using the search function, applies to you, you may want to try the fix before shelling out over $400 for new coil packs.

Bill

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
The original coils have red boots at the ends which will look pink due to aging.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ktbishop222
Hello all,

I own a 2007 automatic Fit and today I started having a misfire problem. I've already searched around on here and found some good advice, but my problem is a bit different from others'.

I'm getting codes p0300, p0301, and p0303, however it only happens at higher RPM's. I can get through gears 1-3 or 4 before the engine light starts flashing and the car hesitates to accelerate. If I slow down to a stop and take off again, nothing happens until I get up into the high RPM's again.

I thought it could be bad gas, since my last fill-up had ethanol in it, so I drove to a station to put in better gas and a fuel treatment, and on the way there I couldn't replicate the problem. I got up to about 70 mph on an empty road with no engine light. I filled up with 91 octane 100% gas, put in some fuel system cleaner with water remover, and left the station. I drove around town for a bit with no problem, but later on that same empty road, I got up to about 60 and the light started flashing again. When I stopped at a stop sign and took off again, no light.

Is there any reason this problem would happen intermittently? I'm on a pretty limited college budget, so I'd like to find the source of the problem without spending a ton of money up-front for coil packs. I can't get into my local Honda dealership until wednesday, so until then I'm left to investigate on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help
you only get OBD codes with a OBD inspection device and with the engine not running. some afctermarket sellers will check OBD for you.
intermittent misses are how the coil paks/spark plug failures start. eventually all will fail; typically if you have 50k miles you should count on replacing coils and plugs. yeah, for college student that cost is fierce.
and sorry but wee never had much luck with duraslast parts tho that was some years ago and perhaps they are better. still we have have best luck with Honda coils.