1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Newbie intro, front plate mount, and floor mat questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Newbie intro, front plate mount, and floor mat questions

I will try to keep this brief.

Just bought a 2008 orange Fit over the weekend. The wife will be undergoing left ankle surgery this week and we needed to get something with an automatic transmission. We found a decent car with a little cosmetic damage but very low miles (46K) at a good price and brought it home.

First thing I did was strip off those rubber edge guards from the doors and fender wells. Who decided that was a good look?

Question #1
The biggest cosmetic damage is on the front bumper, where the car encountered a truck's trailer hitch receiver.

I have the circular plastic piece that goes in the tow hook opening, though the tabs are worn out and it probably won't stay there long.

I have a friend who has a Subaru BRZ whose front plate is mounted to a device that screws into the tow hook threads. I'd like to have something like that for this car both to occupy that hole and then use the plate to at least partially obscure the nicked bumper until I can find a replacement. Does such a plate mount exist? If it doesn't, does anyone know the thread size/pitch for the tow hook hole so I can get something to start making my own?

Question #2
Is this the right floor mat?

I ask because the mat doesn't stay in place well. Part of that is probably due to the shape, but also because there is some sort of stick-in mat glued to the carpeting.

If this smaller mat is supposed to be there, I'll leave it. But my gut says to peel it off so the existing mat can grip the carpet better and not slide around. This will probably be academic down the road as I'm going to get some Weathertech mats as this will be the primary winter commuter car.

OK that's enough of the questions. Now for a little showing off.

The Fit joins an already sizeable fleet here:

We are mostly Hondas and Mazdas here. We have a 2002 Civic Si, which will be sold once we get a few things squared away with it. We also have a 1988 CRX Si that is fairly stock under the hood but has fairly serious suspension bits.

On the Mazda side, we have the black '05 Mazdaspeed Miata, the retired '93 autocrosser (it's the wife's, and she hasn't told me to take the stickers off yet), and, in the garage, the current autocrosser '90 Miata. Then there's the '71 MGB I've owned since 1987 and just dragged out of 12 years of storage. Out of the picture is our 2014 RAM 1500 crew cab pickup and 18-foot open car trailer.

Most importantly, we have NO HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION.

Plans for the Fit are pretty simple. It'll be the main commuter car and for that I think it's perfect. Will we mod it? Not significantly. It'll go to the tint shop this week. I might throw some wheels on it (we have a lot of 15x7s with tires of varying usefulness). The wife is already talking about lowering the thing to get rid of some wheel gap. Non-ricey exhaust will be considered. Other than that, I don't see doing much else.

While the wife will be in a walking boot, she still wants to autocross the last event of our SCCA season in a few weeks. I'll throw on my second set of 6ULs with almost bald R1Rs on and let her play in STF with an otherwise box-stock automatic Fit. It should be good for a laugh.

I've probably already gone on too long. If anyone can answer the two questions above, that'd be great.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Hi and welcome!

Regarding the plate mount, I'm not aware of anything that attaches to the tow hook mount, but that doesn't mean nothing exists. Do bear in mind, however, that the existing plate mount will leave two (smaller) holes in the middle of the bumper cover when you remove the plate.

I don't know the thread of the tow hook. There should be a hook/eyebolt thingy in with the jack handle and lug wrench, though, so it would be a very simple matter to take it to a hardware or auto parts store and figure out the size. It's undoubtedly a metric thread.

Those are not factory floor mats, but some sort of generic aftermarket ones. The factory driver side one has a couple of clips or lock knobs that hold it in position very well. (At least, the GE8 ones are that way, and I assume the GD ones are also.) The non-carpet patch is intended to be there, to help prevent the carpet from wearing out if you don't have any floor mats. I doubt you'd be able to remove it cleanly. As you probably noticed, Honda didn't waste any money on getting expensive, plush, long-lasting carpeting for the Fit.

You might be able to repair the puncture in the bumper cover to some extent with a little fiberglass reinforcement on the back. (It would be a decent idea to check if the sacrificial crush beam behind it needs replacement, too; that appears to be a very straightforward process, a matter of a few bolts once the bumper cover is off.)

Old 09-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Drew summed it up pretty well! And welcome! 46000 miles for a 2008 is awesome. A new front bumper can be sourced from places online for a few hundred dollars, or I'm sure the dealer can charge you a few thousand to replace it, in case repairing it isn't an option.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
For the hole you can buy the license plate re-locator on ebay for $48.

The license plate re-locator that was on my car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hond-S2000-AP1-Fit-00-12-Bumper-Tow-Hook-Mount-Adaptor-License-Plate-Relocator-/331152343693?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1a37c28d&vxp=mtr
I would suggest getting a new bumper, a new bumper on CARiD.com it's even cheaper I believe than going to the dealership and such.

Those aren't the correct mats, it's way too big. If you go on ebay I'm sure you'll find some easily.

I currently have these one right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-All-Weather-Gray-4-Pc-Car-Auto-Set-Front-Rear-Floor-Mats-Rubber-/351131758406?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2008%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3AFit&hash=item51c1156f46&vxp=mtr
If you wanna lower it, I think some springs sets go pretty cheap on Clazzio Seat Covers | Accessories | Lowering Springs | Scion | Nissan | Honda

As for the exhaust, non-ricey is all on what you consider to be ricey. I was going to get the DC Cat-Back Exhaust for the car but found out that the piping is 50mm while I want 60mm

Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Regards the mats,

The factory accessory mats came complete with the bolt-on hooks. There are "flaps" (cut-outs) in the factory carpeting to accommodate the hook brackets.

PS: Nice Fleet. Glad your wife isn't letting a little injury keep her out of her helmet!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
There should be a hook/eyebolt thingy in with the jack handle and lug wrench, though, so it would be a very simple matter to take it to a hardware or auto parts store and figure out the size. It's undoubtedly a metric thread.
I checked the tool kit but found no tow hook. I've found that it's the same thread as the S2000 tow hook and there are a couple plate mounts available for that out there, so there's hope.

Other than that, we're a couple hundred miles into Fit ownership and so far, so good. Can't wait to fill up the tank and see what the gas mileage is going to be like.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
im assuming most of the people who responded are fairly new to the forum.. but heres my take cuz i honestly didn't read everyone else's...first! if you're unwilling to just get a new bumper then once upon a time when we all got our fits back in 08 there was a rad little company called H-Fit.com - Performance Products for your Honda Fit GD3 and GE8!!! . it was owned by forum members and they actually make a pretty neat license plate relocation kit that screws into the hole thats meant for your toe hook. H-Fit.com - Performance Products for your Honda Fit GD3 and GE8!!! try this link they went out of business but are selling off their inventory for cheap so that takes care of your bumper. as for the floor mats those are definitely not the right matts. the correct ones are embroidered with the fit logo... that being said you can probably look on ebay or even in the for sale section of the forums. they used to be a dime a dozen when 08-10 now a days I'm sure its a bit harder to get them but it still shouldn't be rocket since.... whatever you do don't tear that piece up as the carpeting in our cars is frankly garbage. Anytime you need oem stuff check out bernardi. they are cheap and good. Honda Carpeted Floor Mats (Fit 2007-2008) - Bernardi Parts good luck and have fun with your car... there is a ton of good info on this forum about the first gen fits. Unfortunately it seems that over time the community side of the forum has died a lot but there is years and years of knowledge in here...feel free to message me if you have any other questions... I've basically torn this car apart more than a few times.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Just order the weathertech and be done with it. i love mine.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
As mentioned by sOx H-fit made some cool parts. I'm sure you could even make something to relocate the plate.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by domoMKIV
Just order the weathertech and be done with it. i love mine.
which model did you get?

Old 10-10-2014, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Claff
I will try to keep this brief.

Just bought a 2008 orange Fit over the weekend. The wife will be undergoing left ankle surgery this week and we needed to get something with an automatic transmission. We found a decent car with a little cosmetic damage but very low miles (46K) at a good price and brought it home.

First thing I did was strip off those rubber edge guards from the doors and fender wells. Who decided that was a good look?

Question #1
The biggest cosmetic damage is on the front bumper, where the car encountered a truck's trailer hitch receiver.

I have the circular plastic piece that goes in the tow hook opening, though the tabs are worn out and it probably won't stay there long.

I have a friend who has a Subaru BRZ whose front plate is mounted to a device that screws into the tow hook threads. I'd like to have something like that for this car both to occupy that hole and then use the plate to at least partially obscure the nicked bumper until I can find a replacement. Does such a plate mount exist? If it doesn't, does anyone know the thread size/pitch for the tow hook hole so I can get something to start making my own?

Question #2
Is this the right floor mat?

I ask because the mat doesn't stay in place well. Part of that is probably due to the shape, but also because there is some sort of stick-in mat glued to the carpeting.

If this smaller mat is supposed to be there, I'll leave it. But my gut says to peel it off so the existing mat can grip the carpet better and not slide around. This will probably be academic down the road as I'm going to get some Weathertech mats as this will be the primary winter commuter car.

OK that's enough of the questions. Now for a little showing off.

The Fit joins an already sizeable fleet here:

We are mostly Hondas and Mazdas here. We have a 2002 Civic Si, which will be sold once we get a few things squared away with it. We also have a 1988 CRX Si that is fairly stock under the hood but has fairly serious suspension bits.

On the Mazda side, we have the black '05 Mazdaspeed Miata, the retired '93 autocrosser (it's the wife's, and she hasn't told me to take the stickers off yet), and, in the garage, the current autocrosser '90 Miata. Then there's the '71 MGB I've owned since 1987 and just dragged out of 12 years of storage. Out of the picture is our 2014 RAM 1500 crew cab pickup and 18-foot open car trailer.

Most importantly, we have NO HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION.

Plans for the Fit are pretty simple. It'll be the main commuter car and for that I think it's perfect. Will we mod it? Not significantly. It'll go to the tint shop this week. I might throw some wheels on it (we have a lot of 15x7s with tires of varying usefulness). The wife is already talking about lowering the thing to get rid of some wheel gap. Non-ricey exhaust will be considered. Other than that, I don't see doing much else.

While the wife will be in a walking boot, she still wants to autocross the last event of our SCCA season in a few weeks. I'll throw on my second set of 6ULs with almost bald R1Rs on and let her play in STF with an otherwise box-stock automatic Fit. It should be good for a laugh.

I've probably already gone on too long. If anyone can answer the two questions above, that'd be great.

I thought I had a circus but holy cow !
As to the Fit and I think I answered this same issue elsewhere. No Fit desreves to be left unattended. And for little expense:
1,.ou likely have the tires and wheel coveredso I can only say 205/50x15 are the right size say our a/x gurus, most have a wall of trophies going way back to even before CRX days. (theyt ae salivating over yours)
2. lowering does wnders long as its a maximum of 1.5", as does adjustable shocks. AGX seems to be favored but they have Bilsteins and Konis too.
3. Disconnecting, not removing the front ASB is highly advisable expecially if your wife likes to a/x. She will need it and make her driving far more enjoyable.
3. if you dont have suitale wheels to reduce offset from 52/53 mm to about 45mm use 1/4" spacers tom get it down to 46 anyway. 1/4" spacers are cheap - and really useful both as increasuing track but also increasing camber. Most Honda / miata wheels of the size vehicle are 4x100 and 45mm offset. Especially Miatas while still 4x100. Excellent.
4. As for the bumper, measure the hook you have to find the bolt size. My guess is 12x1.5 same as lug nuts. The 'cover plug' glues in place nicely tho some have merely taped over it and painted the tape to match the fender color. Paint from touchup at autoparts store. Looks a lot better than I thought it would. Hard to see it from more than a few feet away.
5. I wouldn't worry about the cat back exhausts; they don't seem to add much on dyno and good ones cost a lot more than even lowering with shocks.
6. And that floor mat is cured by velcro to the floor or as most of us have ended up; merely screwing them into the florr . Comes up easily if needed and firm even when stressed by a/xing.
tell the wife she'll be spoiled by paddles; could ruin her Miata.
Have at it.
PPS guard your wife well; she's one of a few. You must be very handsome or very rich.

Last edited by mahout; 10-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.