1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Piece of rubber boot fell inside spark plug hole.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Piece of rubber boot fell inside spark plug hole.

Alright, so I've been on this roller coaster of a journey with my 08 Fit Sport. It's been having the stuttering/sputtering issue that I've read many other Fit owners have been experiencing, so I've done all the obvious things to do such as replacing the spark plugs (which only helped the issue for about a week), and then replacing the ignition coils (also only helped the issue for a week). The problem was still prevalent. It seemed that everyone else who had this sputtering problem was able to completely fix the issue with doing one or both of the things above, yet my issue was still occurring. Anytime I had to accelerate quickly, and even sometimes when taking a sharp turn the car would do this sputter/stutter thing like it didn't have enough power.

Anyways, since I was still having the problem, I assumed maybe I did something wrong...maybe I didn't tighten a spark plug enough or something, so I was going to do everything again. I went through and started taking the ignition coils and spark plugs back out so I could install it all again and hopefully...miraculously...fix the problem. Well in my attempt to make a miracle happen, as I was taking an ignition coil out...I noticed the boot was missing. Great...the boot was still attached to the spark plug. I didn't realize at the time how long and annoying it would be to get the damn thing back out of there...but here we are two weeks later and I finally got the whole thing out. Anyways, long story short, I had to tear the boot up, finally found a tool that got all of the boot out, took the spark plug out, and noticed there was still a small piece of boot still in the chamber. I tried to get the piece out and it managed to fall into the hole where the piston is. Now I can't even see it anymore (mind you I had to use a camera to take pictures inside the spark plug chamber because it's positioned in such a way that you cannot just stick your head in there and look, so this entire time with getting the boot out and trying to get this little piece of boot out, I've had to stick my camera in there and take a picture down into the spark plug chamber just to see what the hell was going on).

So that's where I'm at now...there is a little piece of the rubber boot that fell into the spark plug hole, and I can no longer see it. What are my options here? Thanks in advance for reading my novel of a story and for any advice you might have.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I saw an engine once where the guy was doing a CAI and didn't notice he had dropped a small bolt into a cylinder. The piston looked like crap but we managed to get away with just replacing the head.

A piece of boot isn't the same, but I'd still be worried about running it- if it doesn't mess up a valve it might mess up the cat. I'm not a tech and I haven't gone out and looked at where the plugs are, but I can't think of anything short of pulling the head.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Had something similar on a chevette once. Broke plug once and a piece of the ceramic fell inside. I made sure the valves were closed and piston was up high. Rigged up the shop vac with reducers and got lucky. Look into a dentist type mirror for seeing what your doing.
I would think its not a big deal and not worry much if it was only small.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:33 PM
The vacuum idea is a good one. Perhaps you could rig up some sort of a screen in the nozzle to make sure you catch the piece.

You might also have luck with a parts grabber claw tool. It would be much easier to use the grabber if you had some sort of an inspection scope to see what's going on...maybe, if you ask around the right people, you could borrow or rent one. An electrician or house inspector, for example, might have one to peer inside of walls.

If it were me, I wouldn't try to start the engine with it in place. If I couldn't get it out, though, I might be tempted as a last resort to disconnect all the other coil packs and spin the engine with the starter with the spark plug out to see if the debris can be blown back out of the cylinder.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Get one of those snake cameras, or rent one. Then stick it into the spark plug hole and see where it is exactly.

I'm not sure if one of those super long tweezers will work (depending on where the cylinder is, obviously)

Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 AM
What size is the little piece? If it is smaller than an 1/8" just run it..

Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
After getting a claw tool that was long enough to fit down into the spark plug chamber, I tried for about 2 days of blindly grabbing for the piece hoping to get it out. I was not successful. At that point I was tired of all the trouble I've been having, and just reinstalled the spark plug and ignition coil and ran the car. Seems to run fine. I drove it hard up and down the highway trying to get it to do the stutter/sputter thing it was initially doing. I was only able to get it to do it once, after accelerating real hard (and with the A/C turned full blast). Still not sure what the problem could be, but its better then it was before, and that's good enough for now.