1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Engine shaking/bad coil/ PCM reprogramed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Engine shaking/bad coil/ PCM reprogramed

About 3 weeks ago my notice the fits is shaking sometimes, so I give it to my friend who works at an Acura dealership as a mechanic to see if he figure ouy the problem, since it was only happening intermittently and didn't trigger a CEL. Load and behold it one of the ignition coil that was bad so we put new plugs one new coil, auto tranny fuold change and while he was looking up some info he found out that there was an update available for the PCM which was done. My friend said that the CEL didn't turn on cause the misfire was only happening intermittently not enough times during a driving cycle for the PCM to throw a CEL.

I just wanted to share this maybe it could be of some benefit to someone. Especially the PCM update.

The fit is running smoothly now no more shaking

Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
A common problem with the Fits. Thanks for sharing, btw!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 AM
No problem ,maybe this update for PCM could be lessen the problem, anyone else know about this?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM
I just purchased my 2007 Honda fit yesterday and I have realized only upon cold start up it shakes a little, is this only because the RPM's are a little higher to reach normal driving temperature?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm curious about this PCM update. Was it part of an older recall that you didn't get done? Is there an update for 08's as well?

Originally Posted by badass8
I just purchased my 2007 Honda fit yesterday and I have realized only upon cold start up it shakes a little, is this only because the RPM's are a little higher to reach normal driving temperature?
I believe because the engine is cold and therefore running tighter cause of the expansion and all that stuff that metal does + oil isn't everywhere in the engine and it takes a while to get it circulating completely.

It happens with every car and every cold start. It's more noticeable on the Fit considering it's a really small engine.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
I believe because the engine is cold and therefore running tighter cause of the expansion and all that stuff that metal does + oil isn't everywhere in the engine and it takes a while to get it circulating completely.

It happens with every car and every cold start. It's more noticeable on the Fit considering it's a really small engine.
Thank you for clarification, since the owner just replaced the spark plugs one thousand miles ago, but I will keep a look out it if becomes worse and inspect the coil parks.
I just traded my 2004 Subaru WRX for this Honda Fit so It is very different haha.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm curious about this PCM update. Was it part of an older recall that you didn't get done? Is there an update for 08's as well?

He said it wasn't noted when he checked for recalls I will ask him later on today