1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

60 MPH Shudder/Hesitation '07 Auto Trans 192k

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
our cars call for these every 40k....if you car has 192k on it, I doubt it's had the valves adjusted 5 times...
X2 on the need to check/adjust valve lash.

I've never heard of a 40K valve adjustment recommendation, though. In North America, the recommendation for the 1.5L engine is "every 100K miles OR if noisy".

Unfortunately, the exhaust valves TIGHTEN over time, which doesn't result in noise. Just poor running and burnt valves (if ignored too long).

Here's a procedure (starts at post #8)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...clearance.html

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 AM
WOW! The valve lash decreases? Doesn't sound good... I'll pass it on to my friends son, he's totally capable of adjusting valves, he's had several SHO Tauruses w the Yamaha engine

Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD
WOW! The valve lash decreases?
That is a common occurrence with exhaust valves on many engines with solid lifters.

PS, nice Corvair pics. What is the story behind that non-factory roofline? PM if you want.

I owned a '63 Monza convert when I was young. Manual trans, of course.

A local guy in North NJ is REALLY into Corvairs, he owns a body shop and hosts meets of Corvair owners.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM
So I went to the dealer and they tell me about all the recalls and such, I leave the car over the weekend so they replace said recall issue and the real issue at hand. He said the tech took it for a spin and noticed the slight shudder and said the car has flat spots for being in the lot so long..

Okay?! @$) yes it was in the lot forever, but flatspots almost causes the check engine light to come on..Get real. I guess I need a code so I can really find out the issue. Hopefully I'm not stranded on the road to long. I do have AAA so I ready for B.S. That's the update for now. He did say coils will have a cel code despite what people have said on here.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Flat spots where? In the tires???

Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Yep he said it's in all 4 tires. I'll find out more when I pick my car up. .. But ya that's the same thing I said wtf

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Sounds like it's time for them to give you 4 new tires, and give the old ones to a lucky employee, or put them on an auction bound car

Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM
It's strange because all 4 tires are brand new. It's like the dealer really didn't care that the hundreds of cars are just sitting in the lot, some with brand new tires and adverse weather.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, misfire codes are not set for only one or two misfires. It takes a LOT of 'bucking' for a code to set. So it is not uncommon for an owner to feel an intermittent "miss" and no codes. Yes, poorly-firing coils can cause misfires and no codes.

Flat spots on the tires are something else again. At the Honda factory, new-car tires are filled to their maximum rated inflation to minimize flat-spotting during long dealership stays. Setting the tires to the recommended pressure (on the driver's door pillar) is done at the delivering dealer as part of pre delivery preparation.

Seattlefootclan, When you say "I went to the dealer" you mean the selling used-car dealer and NOT an actual Honda factory dealer?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
I may be getting at look this week at the FIT I started this thread with.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Update: simple fix, turns out it was the spark plugs, replaced them and no problem on acceleration.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM
My friend visited breifly, and I drove the car for a few minutes in town. It stumbles when revved at a standstill, but not when pulling away from a stop under lite throttle, but usually upon heavy throttle, kinda like a bad plug or weak coil, and her son tells me he changed a few coils at 120k, (not Honda coils, aftermarket) and a 3 of them a month ago along with double platinum plugs, and the hesitation may have gotten worse.

It was throwing codes P303,304-305 + a random mis-fire code that he forgets the number. Check engine lamp is on, and yearly inspection is past due.

Unfortunately the car lives 140 miles away, and we won't see it for a few weeks, and the problem will live on...

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
My suggestion would be to get the value's adjusted. Some if not most people on these forums recommend that you get your values adjusted around every 30,000 miles.

I just got mine done a few weeks ago and I've been in love with my car even more ever since. The symptoms I had might not be what your friend's car has but I had to warm up the car for a good 5 minutes plus if not then the car dies. Even after warming it up and driving for a few miles it will feel like it might die.

After the values were adjusted, I no longer have any of these issues at all. Only issue I do have is when the A/C is on the car starts to misfire a little bit so I'm going to change all the ignition coils next week or so. I got a set of 4 for $65.

Btw, the value adjustments can be either done by anyone actually because there's a DIY guide on these forums
OR you can go to the dealership which is A LOT cheaper IMO. I paid around $195 but prices will vary!

Last edited by derykisonder; 01-13-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Good advice, sadly it will have to wait a few weeks... and can I get some coils for the same price?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Good advice, sadly it will have to wait a few weeks... and can I get some coils for the same price?
It depends if you're willing to trust eBay since I got them from on there. Whether or not they will turn out to be great or not depends on after I install them.

But here is the link for the coil pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-Honda-Fit-L4-1-5L-Engine-Ignition-Spark-Coil-30520-PWC-003-Set-of-4-NEW-/370829874065?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AFit&hash=item56572ed391
These are the same color are Honda's part:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-07-08-Honda-Fit-1-5L-L4-Ignition-Coil-on-Plug-Coils-Pack-30520PWC003-/130893082172?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AFit&hash=item1e79d5ee3c&vxp=mtr

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Thx for the effort to provide a link. Often times ebay is a place to sell inferior Chinese junk...

Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Thx for the effort to provide a link. Often times ebay is a place to sell inferior Chinese junk...
That's true, but that high amount of feedback on that one account makes me wonder, I'll let you know how mine go by Friday. I'm going to be in Vegas for a few days that's why

Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 AM
The Fit I stated this thread with will be in town this wknd, and I re-read your post, and Amazon has great reviews of Beck Arnley, so we will buy those today. I will check w Advance Auto, and they will prolly match the FLAP price from Amazon. Auto Zone was $96 for Hitachi, and Duralast were $144. Beck Arnely from Amazon are $54 inc SH

Hesitation has been getting worse, and owner was prepared to bring it to Honda at great expense

We'll do it ourselves

Originally Posted by Dunkler
Ok I have done more searching.

Here is a thread on these forums for the exact issue:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...esitation.html

Below is the coil pack to fix the problem.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beck Arnley 178-8374 Direct Ignition Coil

This seems to work according to the reviews on the coil pack.
p

Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
I just ordered Beck Arnley coils from Amazon, $55 each.

I would like to get a scan tool, or can I use an Iphone I just bot, or a droid a naybor has? We could have it scanned by FLAP too, but I'd like to figure out which coil is bad as we replace them.

What about O2 sensors? The car's not here, but they may have suffered from the bad running. I would like to have the parts on hand when it arrives Saturday for repairs. Suggestions?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,5132

Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
You can only use a scan tool app if you also have the OBDII plug (dongle).

I'd hold off on the O2 sensor myself, as stated they cause a decrease in MPG before they set a code.

If you MUST buy one, stick with the Denso from Rock Auto (~$140) as that is the proper wide-band type and folks seem to have the best luck with them.

If you like to spend money, I recommend you get rid of those Double-Plat Bosch sparkplugs and install the OE type NGK or Denso Iridium plugs. I can't remember what gap you need, though.. I GUESS it's 1.1MM.

DENSO Part # 3401 More Info {#SKJ20DRM13} Iridium Long-Life
GAP .050
O.E. Recommended Iridium Long Life - Patented Iridium Alloy Plug (90% Ir) With Platinum Ground StrapChoose: + Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
See Options at Left
NGK Part # 6774 More Info {#IZFR6K13} Laser Iridium
OEM/OES Spark Plug

Are you planning to adjust valve lash?

Quick Reply: 60 MPH Shudder/Hesitation '07 Auto Trans 192k