1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Do you think this is salvage or repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Do you think this is salvage or repairable?

Got rear ended and flung into the next vehicle in front of me. Double whammy. I was stopped - hit in the rear at about 40mph. I am still awaiting for an adjuster to inspect the vehicle. It just happened last week.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Airbag typically equals totaled...especially with that much body damage. So sad.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
What he said, airbags deploy, car totaled. Airbags can coat $5000 to repair.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
With that front end structural brace bent, you can bet the uni-body in the front is bent.
It can be fixed, but it will never be right again.
Let them total it, and use the proceeds to put a down payment on a new Fit.
Gregg

Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
I'd say sell the engine and transmission could get a few hundred for each

Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
With that front end structural brace bent, you can bet the uni-body in the front is bent.
It can be fixed, but it will never be right again.
Let them total it, and use the proceeds to put a down payment on a new Fit.
Gregg
Yes, its totalled with frame and airbag replacement (not $5000 tho) you MUST let them total the car and use whatever equity left to buy another car. Your insurance company should find some equivalent cars and even help you inspect them. Mine does. And get your bank to determine the value of your Fit (before the wreck) as retail value, not wholesale, so you know how much you are owed. It wouldn't hurt if you note even the slightest injury. Remember its the driver's insurance coimpany that is paying so you aren't favored; they will try to cheat you with a low ball offer. You can even demand they pay for a car you find that will replace your car. It ius replacement, not cash based no matter what the insurance company tries toi claim. Its also possible for you to handle the replacement through your insurance company and let them settle with the other company. That is a very good way to get a proper replacement. Otherwise, you may have to hire that lawyer after talikng with your insurance company/agent.
You can help too if you get some prices for good used Fits equivalent to yours and stick by getting enough to pay for your newer car and NEW LICENSE< TAGS< AND FEES you will need to get. Or any mods you can't recovery OK.
Won't hurt either to get a free consult with a lawyer either, One with a good rep on claim settling. Check with your agent.
Yes, its a mean time but just keep slugging.
good luck.
PS when its totalled the car is the insurance company's property. Do not remove anything that they pay for or OEM. That includes wheels and tires ! Somrtimes they will tell you what salvage yard they sell it to and you can go offer to buy parts from them . buy, not take, but you might trade..

Last edited by mahout; 10-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I just bought my second "smashed" fit. My first one being my daily driver. My daily was front end damage, and I had to replace bumper, radiator, condenser, hood, headlight, fender, bumper, bumper cover etc. My daily is a clean title meaning it wasn't totaled... my newest member is littler just going to be a fender, headlight, bumper cover, control arm and she's a salvage title and will be even less work to fix. With the rear damage i think your little baby is going to be totaled. That's not even something I would look at buying myself to fix

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
I have 30 years' experience dealing with Insurance Co's/Body Shops/Junkyards.
It's definitely a Total-sorry-hope you & any passengers are OK.
One thing to consider-because it wasnt your fault you can elect to "retain the Salvage" The Ins. Co. has to offer it to you for the same price the junkyard would pay for it(sometimes %20-%25 of value before wreck) Then you can usually sell it for a profit to someone that wants to repair it. Just make sure to apply for a Salvage Certificate to keep the DMV happy(Don't sell it with a Title)
If you go that route, make sure you get buyer to sign something that says he knows its a total/Salvage so it can't come back to haunt you.
Unless you have a lot of space, patience,tools and great neighbors-dont try to 'part it out'. You will sell some parts quickly, but have the hulk left on jackstands for a long-long time.
Whichever way you go-good luck- don't accept the Ins. Co 's first offer!

Last edited by silverback; 10-18-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
forgot to mention: the racks should be removed so you can sell them or use them on your next Fit. If they weren't on the car when it came from the Dealer-keep 'em.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 PM
My rear Headrest are missing out of my 08 I just bought. If there is any way I could get those I would pay for them to be shipped. Sorry to hear about your little car. I hope you get another fit. I love these cars.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
I hope everyone is Ok. i agree that your car is going to be totaled. Be sure that you get the best retail value of your car from their insurance company so that you can either buy another used Fit or use towards a new car.