1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Please HELP..Drive shaft came off when I change my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013 | 01:09 AM
|
Please HELP..Drive shaft came off when I change my suspension

Hi, I was trying to change my suspension, stabilizer link, tie rod and lower control arm..somehow the drive shaft came off. Perhaps it's because the build up tension by suspension. now I am clueless as to how to put it back together. I have searched but found no detailed info about this.

Please help me, do i need to open the rubber? is that clamp on the rubber reusable? How to put it back together? will i need special tools for this? I'm afraid i'm gonna make more mess than fixing it.

Old 09-06-2013 | 01:31 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
this happened to me as well. took quite some time to put it back in. I put the car in neutral and spun the axle while using a jack to straighten out the shaft. I just kept spinning and pushing in and eventually it popped back into place but it did take time and patience, not to mention a few beers.

Old 09-06-2013 | 01:37 AM
|
Originally Posted by kylerwho
this happened to me as well. took quite some time to put it back in. I put the car in neutral and spun the axle while using a jack to straighten out the shaft. I just kept spinning and pushing in and eventually it popped back into place but it did take time and patience, not to mention a few beers.
Do i need to take off the cv joint? I think the connection inside cv joint that came loose. not the edge of the axle that goes into transmission.

Old 09-06-2013 | 01:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
yeah its the section under the rubber boot that came apart. Its really common when people are redoing any suspension parts.

the clamp is a crimp style so you could cut it off and install a new on if you have a crimping tool.

Old 09-06-2013 | 03:29 AM
Banned
There are a BUNCH of threads on this as it happens all the time. No you do not need to cut your boot. Physically look in the suspension section and you will see many many threads on this.

Old 09-06-2013 | 07:21 AM
|
Originally Posted by kylerwho
yeah its the section under the rubber boot that came apart. Its really common when people are redoing any suspension parts.

the clamp is a crimp style so you could cut it off and install a new on if you have a crimping tool.
do i need to take off the rubber cv joint? i would like to avoid cutting it if i can because i dont have crimping tool. say if i do cut it. is it ok to let the rubber without clamp until i get to buy it?

Old 09-06-2013 | 07:37 AM
|
Originally Posted by loudbang
There are a BUNCH of threads on this as it happens all the time. No you do not need to cut your boot. Physically look in the suspension section and you will see many many threads on this.
Sorry if I upset you, i did search but 2 result came up relevant. so i felt i should have asked before I make more unrepairable mess.

Old 09-06-2013 | 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Don't cut anything, just push in to the assembly while turning it, it will pop back in but it could take a while. If you do decide to cut the clamp do not drive without replacing the clamp if you do and all the grease comes out you'll most likely have to replace the whole shaft.

Old 09-06-2013 | 01:11 PM
|
Originally Posted by hehn
Don't cut anything, just push in to the assembly while turning it, it will pop back in but it could take a while. If you do decide to cut the clamp do not drive without replacing the clamp if you do and all the grease comes out you'll most likely have to replace the whole shaft.
Thanks!! I didn't cut anything and as per suggested I turned inner join and the axle together until I feel both pop back in. and now when I turn the inner join, the axle does too. but then when I see the rotor its direction was still strange so I kicked the rotor so hard until it went further in.

I finished the right wheel now, I'll do the left wheel tomorrow morning. Can't believe i've taken 2 days just to finish one wheel. LOL. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-06-2013 | 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vaah
Thanks!! I didn't cut anything and as per suggested I turned inner join and the axle together until I feel both pop back in. and now when I turn the inner join, the axle does too. but then when I see the rotor its direction was still strange so I kicked the rotor so hard until it went further in.

I finished the right wheel now, I'll do the left wheel tomorrow morning. Can't believe i've taken 2 days just to finish one wheel. LOL. Thanks for the help guys.
^^^ whew he says. Now make sure to tie the other one up good first .

Old 09-07-2013 | 12:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by vaah
Sorry if I upset you, i did search but 2 result came up relevant. so i felt i should have asked before I make more unrepairable mess.

Not upset just trying to point you in the right direction. The search function on this site works like crap. The next time you want to search put the words you are looking for into google and add the address for this site at the end and google will search this site works way better.

Old 09-07-2013 | 05:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by Black3sr
^^^ whew he says. Now make sure to tie the other one up good first .
LOL I can't finish this today!! Damn this tie rod and ball joint are so hard to come off!! I spent 4 hours of sweat and swearing and still no result. I regret having started this project without proper tools..-_- Having said that, this time I tied the rotor with rope so I have no problem with drive shaft coming loose.

Also I notice all the bolts are very tight is this normal? i sprayed penetrant still same..

Old 09-07-2013 | 05:27 AM
|
Originally Posted by loudbang
Not upset just trying to point you in the right direction. The search function on this site works like crap. The next time you want to search put the words you are looking for into google and add the address for this site at the end and google will search this site works way better.
Thanks for the suggestion!