1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Alternator removal / intake manifold question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Alternator removal / intake manifold question?

Hi All,

I've got a 2007 Fit, original owner, 90K.

Battery lights been coming on on the highway and goes off once I get off the highway and put around town.

I changed out the original battery just last week, but the light still comes on.

I'm looking to change the alternator now, but am wondering if anyone has removed it without removing the intake manifold? I found one mention of it during a search...

Any tips to get it out?

I'm worried about fussing with the manifold gasket if I have to remove it - is it a paper gasket? Brittle?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Banned
Sounds more like a slipping alternator belt at high speed check the tension on it. Nope metal reusable gasket.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
An update and maybe recommendation for anyone changing out the alternator:

I took off or loosened as much as I could (large AC? aluminum line, disconnected the orange plug on the ABS unit, unscrewed the ABS unit which has the black lines running to it, and even removed the windshield washer fluid filler neck) but after fighting for an hour, gave up on getting the old alternator out.

I finally decided to remove the EGR valve (conveniently placed right above the Alt.) and was then able to easily pull the alt out.

The EGR valve has one plug and two studs (one of which came out giving me even more room). There's a metal gasket that can be cleaned, but since I was getting a new belt I just ordered the gasket for $5 to be safe.

Installed a new alt and got everything back and the car's running great now and passed the auto store's alt check.

I did happen to get a check engine light, which read ABS unit and Air Intake (which ended up being my fault as I disconnected an unrelated plug on the air intake for something else). After plugging that back in and driving the car, the light was still on, so I disconnected the battery, let it sit, then reconnected, fired it up and no more light.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
@p1driftfiend: Good info. Thanks.