1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Front fender to door gap ... trying to figure why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Front fender to door gap ... trying to figure why?

Hello all,

Last week I purchased an '08 Sport for a price I couldn't resist. Basically, I drive 50 non-highway miles per day and needed something to ease the pain at the pump (previous car was a Jeep Wrangler). The car doesn't seem to have been abused, but also not cared for exceptionally well either. I got it from a local dealer that normally exports auto-tranny cars and got this one by accident, so they just wanted to be rid of it. I did get a carfax and it's clean, but I don't put too much into that. There are some scuffs in the wheels and it did brush the passenger side with something on the rear door. It's an '08 with 71k miles and I paid $6300, so these little things really don't bother me, as mechanically it is very sound and everything works.

Anyway, I noticed a gap in the body panels where the front fenders meet the front doors. The odd thing is it's this way on both sides and the sticker on the inside of the fender panel does have my VIN, so I assume it's the original panel.

Here are some pics. I'm really just trying to figure out if this is kinda normal and, assuming not, what may have caused it?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like poor body work after a crash of some sort. A body shop should be able to look at and under the car and give you a better idea of what happened.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
I have not worked on a Fit's fenders, but on most vehicles that can be adjusted out buy loosening a few bolts. If it really bothers you, Stop by the body shop of your choice and have them adjust it.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I figured it was from a collision, but it being on both sides and the VIN stickers in tact made me wonder. Also not allot of 1'st gen Fits around for me to compare with.

It doesn't bother me as this is my commute car for the next few years and then will be my son's first car. It's still really fun to drive and gets great mileage.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

Looks like it is bent where its circled unless the pic is just at a bad angle. Anywho, when that part of the fender goes up or outward, the gap increases on the fender to the door. Knowing this from pulled fenders and bending one upward. You can easily push it back by hand, but if you're inexperienced, let someone who knows what they are doing handle it.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
wow, i feel very sorry to see this brother!! maybe its time to get some new fenders from js racing that would be much better and ideal:P

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
yea it was most likely in a crash and used aftermarket fenders.... i just recently replaced my fenders hood bumper headlights had a pretty bad run in with a parked car and have that gap between the fenders on one side and on the other side my door is rubbing on the fender making a horrible sound. I am going to try and remove the fender and re-install and see if tightening it differently makes a different because it's killing me hearing that sound everytime i open my door.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BeaterGD3
Yeah, I figured it was from a collision, but it being on both sides and the VIN stickers in tact made me wonder. Also not allot of 1'st gen Fits around for me to compare with.

It doesn't bother me as this is my commute car for the next few years and then will be my son's first car. It's still really fun to drive and gets great mileage.

Interesting; the fender and door panels don't line up flush rather than the width of the gap is the observation. Personally, I think it is the original manufacturing that is the cause. Possibly its intentional to make sure when the door opens the 'gap' between fender and door don't get too close. When panels on both sides exhibit the same 'gap' shape I tend to think the door panels were stamped that way on purpose. It could be a wind noise issue or just making sure the opposite panels have no chance to interfere, or some other reason like an aid to assembly. That the VIN is stamped on both is a dead giveaway that the panels are original.
In any case I agree its not an issue. Enjoy.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by BlueCell

Looks like it is bent where its circled unless the pic is just at a bad angle. Anywho, when that part of the fender goes up or outward, the gap increases on the fender to the door. Knowing this from pulled fenders and bending one upward. You can easily push it back by hand, but if you're inexperienced, let someone who knows what they are doing handle it.
I think the fender was kicked-in by someone as a prank or something. Especially seeing it on both sides.