1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Used engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Used engine questions

My engine has been making a piston slap type noise since around 65K. It now has 130K and today started making a full blown knock after starting. Here's my question. How do I chose an engine? Does it need to be from the same year and trans type? How about vin#'s. I looked on ebay and one can be had for around six or seven hundred. Also. can any one recommend a person to do the swap in the Minneapolis area?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
damn man, new engine at 130k? did u ever get it looked at when the problems started at 65k??

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
I wasn't going to pay to have the motor torn down for a diagnosis and repair. I figured it would be cheaper to wait for engine failure and then replace it with a low mileage used one

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
I wasn't going to pay to have the motor torn down for a diagnosis and repair. I figured it would be cheaper to wait for engine failure and then replace it with a low mileage used one

If you could get away with a knocking engine for 60k miles after hearing the knock you probably made a good decision but now you have to decide between a replacement engine and rebuilding the current one which likely only has a failed piston bearing. Its not easy. We've had more than a few customers making that decision. Just not on Fits.
But I recommend you seriously check the internet for replacement engines from suppliers. We can't recommend any for corporate reasons but we never had a bad one in probably a half dozen such replacements. You may find a salvage yard in your vicinity that will even replace your engine for the cost of the engine and a thousand or sofor the labor. Unless you do it yourself, that copst is there. And yes try to get an engine of the same year as your Fit to make sure that your ECU etc are a match.
In any case putting a low mileage engine is a good idea at 130k but not 200k. Make you get all the parts that you're replacing, ie short block vs whole engine as an example..
good luck.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
what years is your Fit and is it a AT?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
ive seen some decent prices on L15's on ebay :

Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Got my ~45k miles engine for $250 plus tax from lkq.com, picked up (not delivered). They advertise on ebay too. Check both. If you find one from them have them give you the entire VIN number (there's both an engine no and VIN no on the engine) so that you can research it online and find out what kind of accident it had - preferably something not relating to potential engine damage, and to verify mileage.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
If the motor goes I'll for sure be replacing it with a used one. Or having it done. I can do a fair amount of my own work but a motor replacement is out of the question. I'm just trying to plan ahead so I'm not scrambling if this needs to happen. The other day when I noticed the knock It had been sitting outside in the cold at work for quite some time. That seems to be when things are the noisiest. Also, I did a valve adjustment a few weeks ago and noticed more noise after that. I went back in and redid it yesterday just to make sure I hadn't screwed something up. Every thing looked good but I decided to go a little tighter all of the valves in hopes of quieting things down a little. I also looked on ebay and found quite a few low mileage engines for not much at all.

Thanks Guys

Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Does the knock disappears at higher rpm? Did you solve the problem?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 AM
I have bought powertrain motors in the past, comes with 3 year/million mile warranty with the no fault warranty even if you forget to put oil in it and blow it up they will replace it ( free shipping and pay a shop to replace it )

Ive never had an issue with them and they also correct any issues with the motors ( such as sludge build up or oil drain back, ect....) so their motors are better than original equipment.

Here is their link. https://www.powertrainproducts.net/