1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sport automatic Fuel use and unwanted revving

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Sport automatic Fuel use and unwanted revving

I have noticed that, increasingly, the revs will climb independent of road speed with any small amount in pedal input.
I know that this car has an unlocking torque converter which is used to boost revs when needed, but it seems the thing is overacting nowadays.
Is this a wear item or something controlled by ECU? Maybe some worn springs somewhere or something the ECU learned from my wife's driving?
My '08 Sport Auto has been getting some pretty poor fuel numbers: 22-23 MPG around town and also been exhibiting odd throttle response. It is nearing 95K miles and on extended warranty so gotta get this addressed before 100K.
Thanks for your thoughts

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Transmission operation is under the control of the computer.

One thought that comes to mind is perhaps the engine isn't producing quite as much power as it once did; this could be for very simple reasons, such as worn spark plugs, valves due for readjustment, a partly plugged air or fuel filter, etc. Such things approach rather gradually, so you're more aware of the secondary effects (the transmission behaving differently) than the cause. (Tires that are a bit low on air can also have a similar effect.)

It's also possible that the fuel blend being sold has changed somewhat and doesn't give as much power. There's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Not the air filter or spark plugs, probably not the gas. Valves were just done. Maybe someone's stealing my gas. Maybe I have been noticing different ECU behavior since I've been using sequential mode less. I don't care for this automatic and was hoping it was a problem I could remedy; like a torque converter problem.