1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Great mods for about $300

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Because it looks cool?

The same could be asked of me spending $1200 on lip, grille, spoiler; I buy things that I want.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
...but $300

Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
In the grand scheme of things, $300 isn't very much.

$300 -> 32" LCD HD TV, Cheap chinese suit, 1 wheel

OR

Cool shift knob with a turtle on it.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
yes $300 is not that much money... but this is a shift knob. A spherical ball of metal that is threaded. Is it just one of those be cause I can things? I can kind of understand that, that is the reason I baught a $2K Movado watch.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
i spend 400 on a ps3 thats still in the box been in its been there for the like 2 years haha and i bought it cuz i wanted to own one lol

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
...but $300
Originally Posted by MNfit
yes $300 is not that much money... but this is a shift knob. A spherical ball of metal that is threaded. Is it just one of those be cause I can things? I can kind of understand that, that is the reason I baught a $2K Movado watch.
Constructed of melted down steel taken from the wreckage of the battleship Yamato, forged and crafted by elderly Shinto ministers in a secret temple on top of Mt. Fuji.

I understand though, it's like buying anything designer, if that's someone's thing and makes them happy, that's cool with me.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Also, I had to reread this... for a PAIR?

NO WAY i'm trusting my life to a seat that costs just a little more than a nice shift knob. You could almost get a single decent seat for a little over $300, but you have to get rails and slider too which would put you over budget. Sparco Sprint or Corbeau or something like that. I'm not a big fan of fixed back seats w/o roll bars and anything running $300 is going to be a fixed back probably.

Not true actually, Andysautosport.com has them listed at $307, and they have fully adjustable backs. Believe me, I thought a PAIR for $300 was crazy too. Good thing I didn't jump in and buy them right away.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Colder spark plugs, a second-hand piggyback, and patch harness if you can find them all for $300. Problem is you still need a wide-band oxygen sensor and gauge controller to know for sure how much fuel you are pulling. Those don't lose their value, and often require buying a new sensor. So really, no there is nothing you can do with $300

Install plugs, run better fuel, check your baseline against the wideband then start to lean out in closed loop operation where possible until you no longer register gains, than back off a bit for safety margin.

Adding a bigger pump (assuming it doesn't over run your regulator and completely FUBAR your tune) won't hurt or help performance. You are going to be moving more air to need more fuel.

Bigger injectors, are just like the pump, except they will add latency and driveability will suffer. Again, because you are not moving more air, you are not seeing any benefits to offset any downsides to more injector.

Any gains you feel you have gotten besides noise are placebo, unless you are breathing very slightly better for a small portion at the top of the rev range before the stock cam starts to take VE for a nose dive. Even then, you have still decreased area under the curve by shifting VE to the right.
I agree there isn't much I can do RIGHT now for $300. However, it can get me on the right track with those things. I could say, buy a piggy back now, then not install it until I have the money to tune it correct?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Because it looks cool?

The same could be asked of me spending $1200 on lip, grille, spoiler; I buy things that I want.
well aint that a wonderful thing to be able to do? Man, I wish I had the money to buy everything I want. I'd get a turbo, boost controller, fuel management system, new rims and tires, carbon fiber hood, trunk, and doors, God what else? Oh, yea, and probably a K20 engine and drop it in.

However, I'm on a budget, so how about if you're going to post, be a bit less critical of those who have less than you.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you thought about getting really cheap wheels? hahah
i think wheels are a good way to change up your car, just a idea haha

Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
well aint that a wonderful thing to be able to do? Man, I wish I had the money to buy everything I want. I'd get a turbo, boost controller, fuel management system, new rims and tires, carbon fiber hood, trunk, and doors, God what else? Oh, yea, and probably a K20 engine and drop it in.

However, I'm on a budget, so how about if you're going to post, be a bit less critical of those who have less than you.
I'm on a tighter budget than 95% of people here.

I just have the ability to save up for things I want and don't fall into the silly mindset of needing something that moment I see it. I've wanted a J's lip/grille/wing since 2008, I didn't buy it until February of this year.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
Parents take care of those for the time being (still in Graduate school) any other suggestions? hahaha.

Just, something that you guys have bought that you liked for under $300, that's all I'm asking haha
My short shift and weighted shift knob was like $150.
Shorty antenna $25
Type R badges $90
Wiper delete $5
All my bard (sway, strut, rear strut, c-pillar) all used all under $125 ea
JDM tails (used) $250
Spoon B pipe (used)
RS*R axleback (used)
.... I bought a ton of used parts in good shape. but most my idavidual mods cost under $300 ea. I could keep goin.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
AHHH and window visors. BEST investment. Although I don't know how much rain or colder weather you get where you live.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
What's up with all the hate in here..?

Whoever thinks authentic stuff is a must have, by all means, go spend your $$.
Whoever thinks knockoffs are okay to get away with, go ahead.

I've been scratching my head for over 10 years now when I see people who thinks authentic stuff are the shit and bash knockoff consumers.

OP asked us what can he do with $300.

For $300, I would go with "style" as you mentioned it.
-Mugen rear view mirror
-OEM window visors
-ebay door sills
-jpd lip spoiler
-lowering springs
-window tint if you haven't
-shift knob if MT
-carbon fiber vinyl for hood and roof

∞ options.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you very much for the input guys. I think I'm going to get some new brake rotors and pads. And possibly either a new away bar or radiator.

A question on the radiator. Is getting a "performance" one worth it? Also, which would you guys buy/have bought.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unethikl
What's up with all the hate in here..?

Whoever thinks authentic stuff is a must have, by all means, go spend your $$.
Whoever thinks knockoffs are okay to get away with, go ahead.

I've been scratching my head for over 10 years now when I see people who thinks authentic stuff are the shit and bash knockoff consumers.

OP asked us what can he do with $300.

For $300, I would go with "style" as you mentioned it.
-Mugen rear view mirror
-OEM window visors
-ebay door sills
-jpd lip spoiler
-lowering springs
-window tint if you haven't
-shift knob if MT
-carbon fiber vinyl for hood and roof

∞ options.
What is carbon fiber vinyl? That sounds cool, but also kind of rice Hahahaha.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM
From all indications i've seen on here cooling is not one of the Fit's weak points, I think from the things you're settled on brakes would be the best upgrade.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
From all indications i've seen on here cooling is not one of the Fit's weak points, I think from the things you're settled on brakes would be the best upgrade.
Cool. What kind of callers would work best on some Brembo slotted rotors? And how much are they?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Why slotted rotors? Just get some cheap rotors and spend the savings on proper pads.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Caliper* stupid auto correct

Quick Reply: Great mods for about $300