1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

My seat KILLS my back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
My seat KILLS my back!!!

I don't know why, but everytime I need to drive I am almost dreading it. For about the last three months my back has been feeling so sore, and when I really feel it is when I'm driving my car. I have an 2007 sport and the seat feels like the lumbar is pushing the middle of my back like a mother ******. On drives longer than 20 mins I'm dying to find a comfortable position, which I cant seem to find. Anyone else find this?

Thanks,

Guy

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I know that feel. I'm going to buy a new seat at some point. The lightness/sensitivity of the gas pedal does no favours either.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
On the GE we have put 2 or 3 washers on the front rail bolts to raise it.

Also to sure the gas pedal problem we added a spring. See the DIY

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-spring.html

Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I just had a 250 mile trip to Houston last week. By the time I got there my legs were numb, my tailbone was sore and my back seized up. The Fit is a seriously uncomfortable car over even moderate distances. And this is coming from someone who's driven a Beetle, a mkI Rabbit and an 88 Mazda pickup with a bench seat more than 500 miles a stretch! Likely because I was 20 years younger, but still...

I've bungee'd my gas pedal but I really think it's just the seat. Would a Civic seat fit the stock rails?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
You have a GE or GD? In the 2012 I can sit in any seat back/front/driver/passenger/etc. For a long period of time without issue.

In the GD I'm uncomfortable after about 25 minutes.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Im the same with my GD. I've found that the more upright the driving position the ride is more comfortable over long distances.

Im half tempted to use some dc2 recaro's if i could find a rail that would match up.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
i got a 2012 im 5'9 190 dnt bug me would be nice if they were sum brides lol

Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
The GD-3 was built for knuckle dragging mutants with very short legs... The only car that I can compare the driving position was a 1964 Lancia Flaminia... I've never found any Japanese car or motorcycle to be comfortable but the Honda Helix scooter I could stay on all day without any problem.. If anyone knows if Civic SI seats will bolt to the stock rails let me know also.. I seem to recall that someone put some in a GD a few years back.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...honda-fit.html hope this helps he did all legit

Last edited by Wafulz; 09-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I have found that the GSR seats I had in my EG and DC2 were some of the most comfortable seats I've sat in. Both of those cars were stupid tight as in three wheeling onto my driveway and I never had back pain issues. I might look at the Si seats but right now am leaning towards bride's and not just because my back is forcing me to lean

Thanks for the input and info,

Guy

Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Integra GSR seats? I had a '94 and yes indeed, those were some FINE seats. I actually prefer them to the ITR's Recaros.

I have a GD (2007), Fit, by the way.

Oh, and I'm looking for some old Recaro "halos" or "mesh-heads" for my Alfa GTV6, by the way. If anyone knows of a set I'd appreciate it!
mkI-II GTIs and e30 BMWs had almost identical seats...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
woah hard to find

Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I was feeling my driverside seat the other other day and all i can feel is the rails in the seat....

Just got my 09 SI seats via freight today having them installed next week. Pretty stoked. I've been complaining about my back hurting because of these seats since 06! HAHA!

Will report back with pictures etc.

I'm a little disappointed because I thought they had adjustable lumbar support but I guess not.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
On the GE we have put 2 or 3 washers on the front rail bolts to raise it.

Also to sure the gas pedal problem we added a spring. See the DIY

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-spring.html
I did something similar shortly after purchasing when I realized my thighs barely made contact with the seat. I picked up longer bolts and added enough washers to raise the seat on all four points 1.25". Made a big difference on long trips, though I'm under no illusion that the lack of support from the seat-back is giving me the feel of driving and Infinity.

But I do regularly make trips of up to 800mi a few times a year and I haven't needed to make an appointment with a chiropractor yet.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Hey above poster, I am no expert on seat comfort (I care about it though!) but I have a general comment on thigh support and back pain. Sometimes adjustments that seem nonrelated can have a big impact.

If you notice that your thighs are barely touching the bottom seat cushion, then (as you point out) that is a recipe for big low back pain. The obvious thing is that you'd like the floor to be lower relative to the seat, BUT, the less obvious solution is that if you stretch out your legs farther your thighs will fall and be on the seat again. So push your seat further back and see if that helps.

Of course, this will take the steering wheel away from you, so make sure you adjust it back towards you again, or do some front deltoid lifts so that you can use your shoulders to lift your arms, rather than thrusting your upper back forward (which would just cause high back pain). If you can't pull the steering wheel further back towards you then you're gonna be in the "Italian driving position."

Hope that helps!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestion. But after 5yrs I'm pretty happy with the elevation of the seat itself. It was quite a pain doing one corner compared to the straight ease of the other three, but it was worth it.

The "Italian Style" method seems like a real pain without having a telescopic option with the steering wheel. Having your arms fully extended on the go-kart track is one thing; driving that way for 12hrs is a whole other animal.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
The best thing I have so far done to improve comfort when driving has been long wool seat covers... They raise me up a little and allow me to recline the seat back a little more without having to hyper extend my arms to reach the steering wheel... I know that they are considered to be very 1980s and not stylish but I can only take so much morphine when I have to drive and I already get lost just about every time I have to wander off the beaten path... For what a pair of nice aftermarket seats cost you can buy a big older model Lincoln or Cadillac for when you have a flare up of pain and need to drive a long distance.. I know that solution wouldn't work for very many people but fortunately I have the room and live in a rural area where insurance premiums are a fraction of what they are in the big cities... There is not a car I can think of that surpasses the overall level of comfort experienced when behind the wheel of a Cadillac... Volvo is pretty close though.. They have wonderful seats... I wonder if it would be possible to mount a pair of them in a Fit..

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Hello all! Yes, I've had this issue as well, but one day I saw this at the drug store for a few bucks and tried it out; I've had it on my seat for two years! It takes a second to adjust when i get in, but it's not that big a deal to me and I don't mind it.

Active Forever Mesh Back Lumbar Support For Your Car Seat, Chair

Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
+1 for moving the seat farther back. You have to get the backrest almost perfectly upright in order to reach the steering wheel, which might be uncomfortable for a while, but getting the most leg extension possible has relieved a TON of back pain these past couple of weeks.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
When I got my SI seats installed I had the mechanic mount the brackets so that I was able to gain roughly 2 more inches of legroom. I'm pretty happy with them. way more lower back support and lumbar support. Very pleased.
plus I can raise and lower them, which is a plus.

Quick Reply: My seat KILLS my back!!!