1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What Springs will go good with the MONROE MA811's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 AM
What Springs will go good with the MONROE MA811's?

Hi guys I bought the Monroe MA811's and put them on the rear because I always carry a lot of weight in the rear along with a HITCH cargo carrier but now want to lower my car just for looks! I was wondering if you guys know what springs would go good with the MA811? I just want a decent ride close to stock and will love how I can raise the rear when I carry a heavy load.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by lasvegas
Hi guys I bought the Monroe MA811's and put them on the rear because I always carry a lot of weight in the rear along with a HITCH cargo carrier but now want to lower my car just for looks! I was wondering if you guys know what springs would go good with the MA811? I just want a decent ride close to stock and will love how I can raise the rear when I carry a heavy load.
The Monroe MA811 Air Shocks were used on GD3 Fits because they came fairly close to stock shocks as far as mounting hardware fit for the top and axle shock mounts, and came fairly close to stock shock travel. They are only meant to counteract spring sag from overload conditions, and are NOT meant to be a means of adjusting the ride height.

If you use shorter than stock springs with the air shocks and overload the car then hit a dip or railroad tracks at speed, you will break something. If the shocks bottom out in an overloaded condition, they will break, and maybe even snap off the lower shock mounts from the rear axle. You should re-read the literature that came from Monroe with the air shocks, and keep their stated limitations in mind when you think about suspension mods.

The Monroe air shocks were not MADE for Fits. They only work with some adaptation, but those adaptations further limit their capabilities on a Fit. If you want low, forget air shocks. Go with air bag suspension (and spend bunches of money), and you will still have limitations on what your suspension will do.

The MA811's were made for Chevy Cavallier Wagons, and they just happen to work on stock GD3 Fits. If you use them with lowering springs, you are buying trouble.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.