1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

A FIT Sport 2007 needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
A FIT Sport 2007 needs help

Hi to all FF members.I had start this thread because i need a little help from you guys.I hope that somebody can help.My wife has a 2007 Honda Fit Sport.The car has 76,853 miles and right now the car is having a small problem.I will try to explain the best i can.The car starts the engine very well.It runs "OK" BUT if you press hard the gas pedal you can feel that the car is running weak like he is pulling a boat.The problem is that when you are in a red light at traffic the car makes a little shake movement like it want to turn off.One day in traffic in a red light the car turn off alone.My wife and i had take good care of this car.We take the car to a Honda technician and he connect the computer to find if the car gives a code of the problem.The car did not give any bad code.The technician tell us that if the car can not give a code he can not do anything.The technician also told us that we must wait that the check engine light came "ON".The only way that the light cames "ON" is that the problem get worse.By this way he can find the problem.My wife use this car everyday to go to work.We are afraid that one day the car breakdown and did not want to turn "ON" again.What can it be guys?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
without knowing anymore about the type of maintenance you have already done, if I were in your place I would take a hard look at the coil packs. Do a search and you will see a lot of others with problems somewhere around your mileage. Anecdotally I had issues somewhere around 120k miles and the symptoms were similar to you. A lot of people talk about trying to find which one it is specifically, but I would suggest, do yourself a favor and just replace all four and be done with it.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
It would be worth taking the EGR Valve off and checking that the pathways are clear.
I have known people on the UK to have had these symptoms too.
A blocked EGR pathway the cause of some of their problems.

This video shows the location of the EGR valve for you.

Honda Fit Ge6 EGR - YouTube

Worth taking a look at as it wont cost you anything.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
It could be faulty/ poor quality gas. I recently tried super unleaded (91 octane) on my 07 Fit because the car would stutter on acceleration, and the problem went away. When I went back to regular unleaded (87 octane) my car started to stutter again

I am also the original owner and have followed all maintenance per the Maintenance Minder.

I've read on here about the coil packs and really hope I don't have to replace mine, and I wanted to just try super unleaded first before replacing them. Luckily, it seems to me that the gas I buy is the culprit. I usually buy at Safeway, because they are 10-15 cents cheaper than everywhere else here in the Bay Area, California.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
I would suggest reading this thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
With the absence of a CEL code and the car stuttering at idle or stop and go only, I'm leaning more towards bad gas. Some factors that could pinpoint or eliminate this would be:
Fill up habits - same gas station or random; did you run your gas level lower than before... maybe almost to "E"? Just some thoughts...

Cracked, loose/leakng or detached vacuum lines could do this too.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
I hope you figured out the issue... My mileage is 119360 and this is my daily driver car. Got it brand new and taken very good care of it. This past labor day weekend, my car gave me the check engine light. I was 2 hours away from home and drove it back home slowly and made it safely.... Today I took it to a neighborhood shop to run the codes for me and this is what I got:

Code: PO-219 (They told me, Engine over speed condition)

Code: PO-303 (Misfire cylinder #3)

I recently had sparkplug changed about a month or two... So I'll be taking it back tot he dealer soon because they did the work.... So the car has been sitting in the garage this whole time.

The mechanic also said it's not safe driving it every day because it can lead to more issues witht he car. Regards, LB3DR

Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Related threads

LB3DR, I don't have first hand experience and neither am I an expert on this but I've been following the threads on this issue. BTW were your coils replaced along with the spark plugs?

Since your mileage is up there, maybe you'll find these threads worth your time:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...coilpacks.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...cks-again.html

Please do keep us posted on the resolution... The info benefits all of us. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
LB3DR, I don't have first hand experience and neither am I an expert on this but I've been following the threads on this issue. BTW were your coils replaced along with the spark plugs?

Since your mileage is up there, maybe you'll find these threads worth your time:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...coilpacks.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...cks-again.html

Thank you for those thread.

Please do keep us posted on the resolution... The info benefits all of us. Good luck!
I don't know if the coils were replaced with the sparkpug... When it was time for sparkplug and other maintenance, I just took it into Honda and had them do it and some minor tuneup/inspections... since it's 100k at that time...

I don't know if gas is an issue, I rarely use 87, I always use 76 with gas grade level 89 because it just ran better. I tried a few time with 91 but didn't seem to run as good as 89... or maybe it's just me...

I'll get back to you guys regarding this when I take it back to the dealer.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 PM
seems your problem is a bit intermitnet, if its running as poorly as you say you should have a MIL on, if you had a misfire, and open injector circuit, a lean code or anything seriouse your pcm would notify you, you proably have a small vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body as these cars are thottle by wire.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
This morning I dropped my car off at honda and it's still there. Hopefully it'll be ready at 5pm later today. The tech told me that the reason why it's mis-firing and why it's running rough is caused by the ignition coil. Price for ignition coil is $149.60. He also told me that once one ignition coil starts to go bad all will soon follow after... Since I don't have $$ right now I only having them replace ignition coil #3 and will have to replace the rest next month... I hope that solves the problem or else I want my money back! Will be back with the results if I get the car later this evening.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
$149 for a coil? lol. they are under $70 if you order online.
refuse the repair and DIY. it takes less than 5 minutes, a wratchet and a 10mm socket.

aftermarket: 2007-2008 Honda Fit Direct Ignition Coil - Engine Electrical - Hitachi 07-08 Fit Direct Ignition Coil - 18968-01143526 - PartsGeek

OEM: 30520-PWC-S01 - COIL ASSY PLUG TO - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 09-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StormSurfer
Hi to all FF members.I had start this thread because i need a little help from you guys.I hope that somebody can help.My wife has a 2007 Honda Fit Sport.The car has 76,853 miles and right now the car is having a small problem.I will try to explain the best i can.The car starts the engine very well.It runs "OK" BUT if you press hard the gas pedal you can feel that the car is running weak like he is pulling a boat.The problem is that when you are in a red light at traffic the car makes a little shake movement like it want to turn off.One day in traffic in a red light the car turn off alone.My wife and i had take good care of this car.We take the car to a Honda technician and he connect the computer to find if the car gives a code of the problem.The car did not give any bad code.The technician tell us that if the car can not give a code he can not do anything.The technician also told us that we must wait that the check engine light came "ON".The only way that the light cames "ON" is that the problem get worse.By this way he can find the problem.My wife use this car everyday to go to work.We are afraid that one day the car breakdown and did not want to turn "ON" again.What can it be guys?
First, lets clear one thing: codes are checked REGARDLESS of the 'check engine' light on or off.

Once you check codes that might be indicating you can likely have a good start to getting your Fit back on track. Some stores will check codes for free but if not buy one for ca $55 at an after market store or online.
That said, and I'm sure you'll see many posts, you probably need to change spark plugs and at least some of the coil paks. Plugs run about $15 each, coil paks ca $100. Those items are good for about 50,000 miles and the longer you drive after that the more likely you'll need replacements.
There are other sources of reduced driving and that OBD ii check can identify them.
If you cant do the OBD ii check try changing plugs; its past time you replaced those anyway so there's no savings to be had. Unfortunately, those coil paks are on life support and you'll probably have to replace some of them anyway.
Good luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
^FYI, plugs on the fit are rated for at least 100k miles. they shoudl be fine.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, a lesson learned. I'll be doing it from now on. I'm in the process of getting an OBDII and all necessary tools. Now that I have extra cars that I can drive, I can finally spend a little more time on fixing things myself.

After the coil replacement it runs better now. Not sure if I listed on here but mileage on vehicle when this happend is around 115k miles.

Last edited by LB3DR; 09-20-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: word
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
glad all is well but yeah change ur self