1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Prelude vs. Fit, Should I do it? Safety?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Prelude vs. Fit, Should I do it? Safety?

Hey guys, I'm 17 years old and for the past year I've been driving a 2008 Fit Sport, it previously was my mom's and now she wants it back so I think I'm in the market for something new around $7000. I've been looking at Preludes and have focused in on the 5th gen, one 1998 base model, 5spd in particular. It has 124,000 but my main concern (and my mom's) is safety. I've been looking and looking, and can't find any sort of crash test ratings for any of these models. Do any of you know how safe the Prelude is? Should this be a concern of mine? Thanks for any help guys. It really would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by WitnessTheFitness
Hey guys, I'm 17 years old and for the past year I've been driving a 2008 Fit Sport, it previously was my mom's and now she wants it back so I think I'm in the market for something new around $7000. I've been looking at Preludes and have focused in on the 5th gen, one 1998 base model, 5spd in particular. It has 124,000 but my main concern (and my mom's) is safety. I've been looking and looking, and can't find any sort of crash test ratings for any of these models. Do any of you know how safe the Prelude is? Should this be a concern of mine? Thanks for any help guys. It really would be appreciated.
The Prelude is a blast to drive and think you'll enjoy it. I also think it would probably do better in a crash than a Fit due it's larger size. I haven't seen any crash tests to confirm this though.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks a bunch for the reply and insight! It sounds like a great car just like the Fit (in similiar and different ways) and I really hope I'm able to go through with it!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
The Prelude 1998 is only 400 lbs more than the Fit, much of it in the trunk, rising from an original weight equivalent of a Honda Fit in the earlier models. Weight in back of the car helps crunch up easier in a front end crash... that's why a Smart car does so well. But, up against a monster truck nothing will do well. I don't know if that extra weight will be that much safer to the driver and front passenger, particularly if the design for crashes is not as well conceived. A rear end crash might be better in the Prelude, particularly to rear passengers. But, they're both pretty good in crashes. I, personally, don't think you should make your decision on crash-worthiness of these two cars.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Get the 'Lude you'll enjoy it. Those things can take a beating and keep on shining.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm getting more and more confident about the Lude. My only other question is when do the clutches usually go on these things? I know it all depends on how it is driven but the one I'm looking at has 124,000 miles and I believe the clutch has not been replaced yet. Should I expect to have to replace it soon? Is there even any way to truly tell? Thanks again!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm getting more and more confident about the Lude. My only other question is when do the clutches usually go on these things? I know it all depends on how it is driven but the one I'm looking at has 124,000 miles and I believe the clutch has not been replaced yet. Should I expect to have to replace it soon? Is there even any way to truly tell? Thanks again!
All depends on how it was driven. Knowing most prelude owners though... Probably going to need a new one or need one in a few thousand miles. I'd go ahead and put an upgraded clutch in it and be done with it for a good while if you have the $ to do so.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Okay guys, so I just got another huge curveball thrown at me. My parents say they want me to get something nicer and newer than the Prelude.. Something with less miles that I can drive for the next 6 years or so. They say they're gonna help me out more with the money and I'll probably meet them about halfway to get something around $14K. However, my mom (we all know how moms are) only wants me buying from a few possible dealers here in Albuquerque that she trusts. There's a 2007 Si in Denver (about 330 miles away) and a few other cars I'd like to consider outside of our area. She keeps getting paranoid though! Is there anything I can convince her to change her mind that everyone is not out to rip us off???? Thank you again for any advice! Here's the link to the Si and the dealership website. Used Cars Denver CO | Used Trucks Denver CO | Auto Source | 2007 Honda Civic Si

Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Personally I'd stay away from that civic. The way its dressed out with the dark tails and the painted headlights plus the Motegi black rims. It's a little riceish and where theres riced cars there was typically a ricer driver. Which screams to me "rode hard and put up wet". Just personal opinion though.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Okay guys, so I just got another huge curveball thrown at me. My parents say they want me to get something nicer and newer than the Prelude.. Something with less miles that I can drive for the next 6 years or so. They say they're gonna help me out more with the money and I'll probably meet them about halfway to get something around $14K.
Nice curve ball and very cool parents.

With the $14k, you can get yourself a very nice used Fit and get way more than 6 years out of it. It's a very reliable car and you'll have a wealth of information on this forum to modify and maintain it.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
wow nice, with $14K you can easily get a used 08+ car with decent low miles.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I agree with going for a used FIT if you're now talking 14K!!!

Nice curveball your parents threw at you.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Okay guys, so I just got another huge curveball thrown at me. My parents say they want me to get something nicer and newer than the Prelude.. Something with less miles that I can drive for the next 6 years or so. They say they're gonna help me out more with the money and I'll probably meet them about halfway to get something around $14K. However, my mom (we all know how moms are) only wants me buying from a few possible dealers here in Albuquerque that she trusts. There's a 2007 Si in Denver (about 330 miles away) and a few other cars I'd like to consider outside of our area. She keeps getting paranoid though! Is there anything I can convince her to change her mind that everyone is not out to rip us off???? Thank you again for any advice! Here's the link to the Si and the dealership website. Used Cars Denver CO | Used Trucks Denver CO | Auto Source | 2007 Honda Civic Si

Stay away from the Si. As others have stated any Honda with mods is a sure giveaway that the car has been abused. Though not absolutely accurate the odds are its abused. Visible stuff is usually a good sign of undercover mods. Unless they GIVE you in writing a 5 year bumper-to-bumber warranty . (don't hold your breath)
Its an item we don't seem to get across to those wanting to roll the fenders etc to fit some goofy tires. They do get the message when a dealer vales their trade-in at half wholesale book value. Or less.
I agree with those recommending for $14k a really nice Fit is waiting.
ps I think your mom thinks that too. or else she thinks you're a tad reckless and needs lots of metal around you. In that case think about a truck.

Last edited by mahout; 02-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah I didn't really think about the fact that the ricey mods are a sure sign of bad driving by the previous driver. Very good point. I test drove an 06 volkswagen gti yesterday and will be keeping my eyes open in weeks to come. I love the Fit but I'm not crazy about the idea of getting another. Any opinions about the gti or anything else? Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I didn't really think about the fact that the ricey mods are a sure sign of bad driving by the previous driver. Very good point. I test drove an 06 volkswagen gti yesterday and will be keeping my eyes open in weeks to come. I love the Fit but I'm not crazy about the idea of getting another. Any opinions about the gti or anything else? Thanks for all the help!
GTI's can have problems but they're wicked little cars and I absolutely love them. Especially the new R models and the older model R32's. I can understand wanting more than the fit or just something different. Jetta's are pretty good and the GLI's are quick and fun. Volvo's last forever so an older 04 or so model s60 is a pretty damn good car. My ex girlfriend had one and it made 600 mile round trips every other weekend for 3 years. With the 2.5T its decently peppy but not very agile. Really need to know what you're looking for in a vehicle to make good suggestions. Lol

Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Well... This has been quite the process. I looked around more today and almost went with an 06 RSX type s. But then I found an 06 Si, drove it, and now it's in the garage 88 thousand miles, but hey it's a Honda. Haven't gotten the chance to drive it much but I'm already very happy with it! Thank you all for helping me with this!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Well... This has been quite the process. I looked around more today and almost went with an 06 RSX type s. But then I found an 06 Si, drove it, and now it's in the garage 88 thousand miles, but hey it's a Honda. Haven't gotten the chance to drive it much but I'm already very happy with it! Thank you all for helping me with this!
06 RSX-S > 06 SI imo . But at least you're happy with your decision. I demand pics of the Fit replacement though lol

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I liked the RSX a lot too but the Si was in better condition. I'll get pictures up later today hopefully

Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I liked the RSX a lot too but the Si was in better condition. I'll get pictures up later today hopefully
Well that would justify getting the SI over the RSX then lol.

Quick Reply: Prelude vs. Fit, Should I do it? Safety?