1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

First Post: New Boo-Boo (Bumper Paint or Bra or ???)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM
First Post: New Boo-Boo (Bumper Paint or Bra or ???)

I'll do a full introduction soon, but I wanted to see what people have done for cover-ups? Front bumper paint got crumpled, and although the plastic went back, the paint split and it's not going to look nice. Truly, the whole bumper needs repainted (Storm Silver Metallic), but I don't want to dump hundreds of dollars on my 07 Sport Manual with over 100K.

So what are my options? I know finding a painted bumper or getting the one I have painted would be way too expensive. I've researched bra's but they have such mixed reviews.

Also. Why did my Dad never teach me that people wax their cars for good reasons? My hood and bumper have all kinds of dings and paint chunks taken out of it, and it seems like wax would have helped a whole lot.

Oh well, I guess that's why they say don't cast pearls to swine. Learning the hard way.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Trego
Oh well, I guess that's why they say don't cast pearls to swine. Learning the hard way.
Haha! Well welcome friend. I do hope you enjoy being part of this small community.

I had a couple thoughts when I read your post. First is that I think the Honda will most likely last many, many more K's after 100,000. I'm not sure if you see the car the same way I do, but I know my pa taught me to value my things as long as they last, so I would be painting that bumper in a flash. But I do understand not being able to afford such things. I'm a poor student, haha!

Second thought is that why didn't MY Dad teach me about the purpose of wax?!!! I think I could use some now that you mention it.

Now thinking... cover... buying spray paint would probably end terribly... and cost more if you changed your mind... it's just a smallish spot eh? Any thought of vinyl's (maybe carbon fibre looking) or racing stripes you could use as a cover? I can't say I've ever tried to cover a part of my bumper before so I may not be a lot of help.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
A bra is a big no-no in my opinion. The paint fade especially on a silver car will be night and day in a short period. They also tend to rub new blemishes in the car as well. You should be able to have the bumper repainted for the $200-$400 range. The car I am sure has a ton of life left in it and would be worth it for resale when the time comes.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Like Funkster said re-paint it...but, you might want to install one of these..

Honda Fit 2007 2008 Scotchgard 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit | eBay

Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Smile Well...

Originally Posted by Trego
I'll do a full introduction soon, but I wanted to see what people have done for cover-ups? Front bumper paint got crumpled, and although the plastic went back, the paint split and it's not going to look nice. Truly, the whole bumper needs repainted (Storm Silver Metallic), but I don't want to dump hundreds of dollars on my 07 Sport Manual with over 100K.

So what are my options? I know finding a painted bumper or getting the one I have painted would be way too expensive. I've researched bra's but they have such mixed reviews.
You could always cover it up...something like this...
Front and Rear Bumper Protectors, Bumper Protection and Bumper Guards

It is 2" wide, if your whole bumper is split you will need 2 sets of 2.
To take it to the fenderwell like they show you would need the 2 strips at 3.5 feet. It might look fine with the factory square cut at 3 feet.

If this is out of your budget, you can get some rubber stripping at Lowes or Home Depot and cover the damage with that...

Glad I looked up this product, I ordered their other product...
http://www.bumperdefender.com/front_...protector.html

Seems like a great idea, and our license plate sticks out further than the rest of the bumper.

Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-31-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
You said it has other dings and chips..... are you going to fix them as well? It is cracked paint on a plastic bumper on a 100,000 mile car. It isn't going to rust. Unless you fix all the other signs of use.... it isn't going to help resale. Why not save this money towards the purchase of a new car while the old one keeps going. It won't last forever.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
I would like to hear someone's opinion about Clear Bras. My local tint dealer is against them, but I've heard others that are all for them.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Here's my experience with Clear Bras:

They work OK to prevent rock dings FROM SHOWING. They hold the damaged paint in place when impacted, and resist rust and moisture.

BUT

If you ever remove one, all the impacted points will stick to the 3M material. So make sure you use a quality installer.

(I had a bra that started to come up on one edge...this is what happened when I went to get it replaced)