1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Mirror control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Mirror control?

What's with the mirror control pictured below? I don't know about anybody else but I think it's a bitch to find in the evening while driving. It sure would be nice if it illuminated or is mine broken?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
bump...............

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Not illuminated on my GE.

You should adjust your mirrors before you start driving. /drivinghandbook

kidding, I understand since i've had to fumble around with it myself in the dark when there are raised trucks behind me on the interstate.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Not lit on GD

Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Interestingly enough on the way home from work I checked the mirror control on GE and sure enough it was lit.

I just can't ever see it because the steering wheel is in the way

Then again I do have the wheel extended all the way and up all the way.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
for GD owners, maybe you could add a little nite glow sticker there.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think there was a GD thread where they opened the switch added an LED (soldered directly on to the switch).

yup... just found the thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ontroller.html

Originally Posted by kndlewis
I cannot be bribed!

But here's a DIY anyway;

If you are the slightest bit competent with a soldering iron or know someone who is, you should be able to perform these steps.
If you totally screw up the switch assembly, Bernardi parts sells them for about $45.

As is customary,
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Push your mirror switch control out of the panel. Open the fuse panel cover and wiggle/push from behind.

Separate the bottom from the switch. Do not operate the switch or the toggle while separated. There are little springs and things that can get lost.

Note the little parts and the molded walls that will limit how much room you have to work with.

The circit board you will be attaching your LED to:

Your LED is polatiry sensitive. Your attachment points:

I attached the + lead of the LED along the jumper wire with a little flux and solder. I then attached the dropping resistor to the - (neg) lead of the LED and slipped on a piece of shrink tubing for insulation. Then attached the other end of the resistor to the - (ground) pin. You want the LED to be positioned directly over the top of the split post and as close to it as you can get. Trim the excess lead wires.

Snap the assembly back together carefully and check toggle operation.

The light will be on anytime the ignition is on. This set up is clean and totally unobtrusive.

I started with a 5 mm white LED, superbrite 13000 mcd intensity. WAY TOO bright!
The light I have in there now is a 5 mm blue 5000 mcd. Much better but still too bright, I think. I would recommend something less than 3000.
I put a little piece of tape, cut in a circle, on the tip of the LCD. This reduced the direct shine into "MIRROR" and looks much better now. I took the pictures above before the little-piece-of-tape trick.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, it's hard to believe Honda overlooked such a small detail. I never had any problems with the ergonomics in my CRX Si. Not that there was power mirrors to worry about.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Well I personally never had any problems with it. I just hit the switch, then move the direction of the mirror on the gigantic direction pad. Don't really need a light on it, like the window switches, or power lock switch, they're always in the same place. I don't really ever adjust mine though.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Nice DIY.
And now I just had to go out in my car and check. And (ofcourse) the mirror switch is lit. And it even dim up/down together with all the other instrument lights in the cabin.
But then again, I have a Honda Jazz GD1 and are living in Europa...

I even have a front light hight adjustment dial where you have a empty space.

See picture:

Here you can see it in daylight.

(Click on images to see a larger version)

Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I've seen the headlight height adjustment on other market GE's too... another thing we don't get here. Neat feature though.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Nice DIY.
And now I just had to go out in my car and check. And (ofcourse) the mirror switch is lit. And it even dim up/down together with all the other instrument lights in the cabin.
But then again, I have a Honda Jazz GD1 and are living in Europa...

I even have a front light hight adjustment dial where you have a empty space.

See picture:

Here you can see it in daylight.

(Click on images to see a larger version)
The corrector was or have put?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
Hymmm... interesting. I got an 2003 GD1 (EDM/JDM) Jazz/Fit. And this is what my mirror switches look like.

Daylight view:
Heated mirror button, little light on it that will lit when pressed down to activate the heating.
Mirror dim up/down button is not lit!?!
Front headlight hight adjustment dial is lit.

Night view of my switch.

I wonder if the Mirror-button have light inside, but is burnt? Or do I have to do this DIY to get it lit.

F0NIX. What year model is your GD1? As we both live in the scandinavia I think the heated mirror button was included in all north european models!?! I guess it's an option...

Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frekazoyd
The corrector was or have put?
All those switches was factory default. Only switch I have added was the fog-light switch done by the vendor when the car got to town first time.

Originally Posted by Domo-kun
F0NIX. What year model is your GD1? As we both live in the scandinavia I think the heated mirror button was included in all north european models!?! I guess it's an option...
As my signature states it is an Honda Jazz 1.4L CVT '07 (GD1). So it is from 2007 (even if it was actually built in late 2006).

I also have heated mirrors but my switch is located together with the rear window heater in the middle of the dashboard as seen in this picture:

(I have later swapped out the radio, but that did not effect those buttons)