1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Problem with Emergency brake sensor, e-brake cable? Not sure need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Question Problem with Emergency brake sensor, e-brake cable? Not sure need help :(

I picked up my tein s techs today from the shop, I was happily driving away when all of a sudden, the brake light turns on and it starts beeping. I check my e-brake and it's down, but the light and beeping is consistent. I pull over to the side and wiggle the e-brake handle up and down lightly and I see the light twitching going on and off every time I wiggle the e-brake handle. As I start driving off again, I notice that it's really really loose, and that the vibration of the car is causing the light to go on and off. Although it says the e-brake is on, it's not, because when I put it in drive, the car slowly moves without gas, as appose to with the ebrake on, the car wouldn't move at all unless I press on the gas. Any ideas of what it is before I head to the dealer and empty my wallet? I was so excited to get my s techs on my car but now I'm planning to wait so that the dealer doesn't give me some bullshit about how the spring caused the problem.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
My motto, "If its under warranty its the dealer's problem."

Having lowering springs on the car will not cause a dealer to completely void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents these and requires the dealer to prove that insert part or modification has caused the malfunction before a normally warrantied repair is voided. Example: Claiming window tint blew your engine isn't a legit cause, warranty still valid. On the other had, turbocharging the engine and it blowing will void your warranty on the engine (as well as drive-train).

If you want to try diagnosing it your self, I'd start by removing the center console, checking if anything is loose regarding the e-brake wiring and then go from there.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Well I guess I'm off to the dealer first thing Sunday morning, possibly tomorrow after work. I just hate dealing with having to wiggle the damn e-brake just so it can shut up. Thanks for the info! And one last thing, anyone know if tein s tech springs are installed with the words and logos reading upside down or rightside up?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Before you go "nuts" looking at the E-brake switch, have a look at the brake fluid reservoir.

If it is low you may just have to top it up a bit.

Low fluid can turn on the BRAKE lamp.

PS: If it has been more than two or three years since you replaced the brake fluid (and clutch fluid, if equipped), DO IT.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Hmmmm, never thought of that. I'll check that out right now, but it seems to be some sort of sensor, I just punched the ebrake handle and the brake light turned off, and whenever I hit little bumps it turns off and on, so if that's any help...?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
My motto, "If its under warranty its the dealer's problem."
Nothing more to be said.