1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Cable Reels

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Cable Reels

Hi folks.
I recently bought a 2008 Fit Sport with a manual trans and I must say, I absolutely LOVE the way this little beast drives. I also own a 2007 Corvette and I can say that the Fit has better steering feel/response than the Vette.

The issue I am having is that I am 6’2” and to have a comfortable reach to the steering wheel, I must move the seat too close to the pedals and end up with sore ankles after driving a while.

I tried several different positions, a dead pedal, a stiffer spring on the gas pedal to no avail, I am just too close to the pedals. So in order to fix this, I devided to remove the steering wheel, buy a used one, cut the hub off and use it as a spacer so I can extent the stock wheel closer to me.

Well, in removing the wheel, I accidentally popped the ‘cable reel’ assembly open and all these ribbons of plastic and wiring came out. Has anyone aver put these back in? Is there a trick? Or do I need a new one?

I thought about just buying a new, 2nd gen Fit (in which I Fit in very well), but I was disappointed in that Honda has softened it up, making it lose much of the quick steering feel it had on the 1st gen.

I may still trade up, but if I do , are there any mods that would bring the 2nd Gen Fit to the same level of ‘go kart’ agility as the original?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Gosh, not one answer?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I have no advice on your disembowled steering column. However,

Well, the good news about the GE is it has tilt and telescoping steering wheel. I am 6' myself and had to pull the wheel all the way out to make it comfortable. I am suprised the GD doesn't have that?

You could just dial in some toe-out on the front to improve turn-in response if you don't want to mess with changing out suspension and such. This may effect your tire life a bit though. Or just drop in some mild lowering springs like Eibach Prokit.

The GE is taller and heavier than it's predecessor, I am not suprised it responds more slowly. I have not driven a GD to compare though.