1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fuel economy waaaay down lately

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Manga_spawn

Wow yeah I know you need oxygen for combustion. I also think it water/methanol is very very different than gasoline. For instance if you just put water in your gas tank with regular pump gas it will kill your car. Same goes for getting water in the intake or exhaust. Now I realize that is different than the moisture in the air but what you are saying is that the combustion chamber of a car has the ability to break down water into its base elements which again I don't think is correct (isn't this what hydrogen fuel cells attempt to do?) Finally if the air temperature is around 100+ degrees with high humidity it is still very possible you are getting little to no cooling effect from the water in the air. Also lets not forget there is a lot more in air than just oxygen as well and the same goes for that moisture in the air. Like others have said it can have salt and other things in it that do cause harm to an engine.

I still think that overall air temperature effects your power and MPG more so than humidity on its own. If you are talking about getting better mileage after a cool rain or during the colder months I would agree you will see better gas mileage but I feel it is still due to the air being colder and denser. That’s just my thoughts. I tried googling for more answers but there doesn't seem to be anything definitive. Anyways isn't it more productive to give him suggetsions on things he can do to help fix the issue? Not much he can do about the weather.
I didn't say that water would break down to it's 2 elements I just identified them and what they do individually... High humidity whether hot or cold will be cooler than the combustion chamber and I have witnessed lower intake air temperatures on hot humid days than on days when it was the same temperature and the humidity was low on my scan gauge...If you read my first post on this thread you will see that I offered numerous things that can be done to improve fuel mileage during the 100+ days that are numbering close to 30 days straight in some parts of the state. If it was cooler out in the barn I would be out there installing a water/methanol injection system on my car instead of staying inside sitting in front of a fan.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

Wow yeah I know you need oxygen for combustion. I also think it water/methanol is very very different than gasoline. For instance if you just put water in your gas tank with regular pump gas it will kill your car. Same goes for getting water in the intake or exhaust. Now I realize that is different than the moisture in the air but what you are saying is that the combustion chamber of a car has the ability to break down water into its base elements which again I don't think is correct (isn't this what hydrogen fuel cells attempt to do?) Finally if the air temperature is around 100+ degrees with high humidity it is still very possible you are getting little to no cooling effect from the water in the air. Also lets not forget there is a lot more in air than just oxygen as well and the same goes for that moisture in the air. Like others have said it can have salt and other things in it that do cause harm to an engine.

I still think that overall air temperature effects your power and MPG more so than humidity on its own. If you are talking about getting better mileage after a cool rain or during the colder months I would agree you will see better gas mileage but I feel it is still due to the air being colder and denser. That’s just my thoughts. I tried googling for more answers but there doesn't seem to be anything definitive. Anyways isn't it more productive to give him suggetsions on things he can do to help fix the issue? Not much he can do about the weather.
Wow there is a lot going on in that post. You don't seem to have the faintest clue of what you are discussing here. It looks like you have bits and pieces of the puzzle but haven't managed to find a way to connect them properly.

First off: Why would you get better mileage when the air is colder (denser) and thus more fuel is required to maintain stoich?

Reality doesn't really care for what you "feel" or believe.

I would refrain from posting such postulations on a public forum where someone may confuse you for an educated authority on the matter for lack of knowing any better themselves.. Sometimes this place cracks me up.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
All right whatever guys. I guess you both know way more about this so have at it. I think you should take your own advice though about taking something as an educated authority as well. Somehow I doubt you know everything there is to know and if you do why not share you extensive research and knowledge with the uneducated.

First off: Why would you get better mileage when the air is colder (denser) and thus more fuel is required to maintain stoich?

Why would you get better mileage? Maybe because you don't have to put your foot down as far in order to achieve the same speed? But again clearly you know just infinitely more so why don't you tell me why having less power and having you accelerate longer would give you better gas mileage? The only way this would be true is if he still kept his foot at the same position (which if you read is original post your would see that he is not) as when the air is cold and dense and just accepted that it takes him longer to get up to speed and longer to reach his destination then he would likely use less gas. What part of my feelings don't reflect reality? Please show me an actual test where hotter, humid air gets you better mileage.

It is a discussion forum and it is meant for people to share their experience, thoughts, and postulations (man so that word of the day calendar is just really doing wonders huh?).

To the OP I am sorry it got out of hand and off topic good luck trying to figure out your issue and let us know if you do fix it what you found.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
All right whatever guys. I guess you both know way more about this so have at it. I think you should take your own advice though about taking something as an educated authority as well. Somehow I doubt you know everything there is to know and if you do why not share you extensive research and knowledge with the uneducated.

Why would you get better mileage? Maybe because you don't have to put your foot down as far in order to achieve the same speed? But again clearly you know just infinitely more so why don't you tell me why having less power and having you accelerate longer would give you better gas mileage? The only way this would be true is if he still kept his foot at the same position (which if you read is original post your would see that he is not) as when the air is cold and dense and just accepted that it takes him longer to get up to speed and longer to reach his destination then he would likely use less gas. What part of my feelings don't reflect reality? Please show me an actual test where hotter, humid air gets you better mileage.

It is a discussion forum and it is meant for people to share their experience, thoughts, and postulations (man so that word of the day calendar is just really doing wonders huh?).

To the OP I am sorry it got out of hand and off topic good luck trying to figure out your issue and let us know if you do fix it what you found.
You said water in gas, that is not what water/methanol is. You are correct about to share opinions but you have to have a little understanding.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
No I understand water and methanol. What you didnt read was that I said that water and methanol are much different than gasoline which it is. Their chemical makeups are different. Also with that mixture you are using distiller water not what're water is hanging in the air. Last time I checked the op is not running a water methanol anything so why does it matter how you would run methanol?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Skimmed the thread, but maybe this will help...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ixed-mine.html

That was one of the first threads I read here.

I just bout a 2007 and figured 20 mpg on my first run after burning of only 1/8 of a tank.

I just did it again after burning off half a tank and got 45mpg. weird.

Hoping the first one was an anomaly, I could really go for the 45mpg. That's about what I got with my old crx.

Last edited by crxvfr; 07-29-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member

I can tell already that you are a waste of time. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
What does water do to a grease fire? Same thing happens with water meth kit only its controlled with methanol.

DSM your project is looking good, I see why you bought a newer car, the paint is better and it has fog lights.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Silver...you reminded me of the time I started a grease fire. I should have just put a lid on the pot, but thought I would get it outside and then cover it. By the time I ran from my kitchen to the back door the flames were to the ceiling. I suppose I was feeding the fire oxygen. I will not make that mistake twice.

It's pretty cool that some of the WWII planes used water/meth injection.
You were talking about carbon buildup...wouldn't the water injected turn to steam and steam clean the exhaust valves?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kirinzon
Silver...you reminded me of the time I started a grease fire. I should have just put a lid on the pot, but thought I would get it outside and then cover it. By the time I ran from my kitchen to the back door the flames were to the ceiling. I suppose I was feeding the fire oxygen. I will not make that mistake twice.

It's pretty cool that some of the WWII planes used water/meth injection.
You were talking about carbon buildup...wouldn't the water injected turn to steam and steam clean the exhaust valves?
Grease Fires is the same as gasoline(gasoline is limited) the vapors are burning and a little water does turn to steam but that energy speeds the burn and more power. Did you see the show myth busters when they had 30 plus feet of fire when they dropped water on a grease fire. Methanol is mixed with the water so it controls and adds more o2 and hydrogen to the burn. Water is the left over after combustion and cant burn any more but the steam has energy too.

We all have stories of grease fires, I just was glad I was there to put the fire out with baking soda instead of water my sister was going to throw on it.

Carbon is a problem, and I remember when carburetors were around taking a beer bottle full of water and with a fully warm vehicle adding the water down the carburetor with out stalling the engine and cleaning the carbon out. I was glad there was no problems stalling the motor because it could have hydro-locked the engine. Gasoline technology hasn't changed much since they started making it. They just found better ways to make it and with emission standards some ingredients have changed.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
ANYWAY...

Years ago, I always ran a bottle of injector cleaner through at every oil change. Then all of the performance guys said that was a terrible thing to do to your fuel system because it just washed junk downstream where it would get lodged in the injectors, so I stopped.

Long story short, I dumped in a whole bottle of Techron into my last tank and gave the car a solid "Italian tuneup" (basically driving the fire out of it for a solid hour, banging the rev limiter on numerous occasions). I can't speak yet to my fuel economy, given the tachometric histrionics, but I CAN say with certainty the engine is smoother, quieter and revs more easily after about 2/3 of a tank. I'll fill up this weekend and come back with a mileage report.

In the meantime, what's the deal with fuel system additive/detergent? It seems to get the job done, but am I actually doing more harm than good?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I put Berryman's B12 and a few ounces of 2 stroke oil or Marvel Mystery oil in the tank when I am low on gas then go out for a ride and drive the hell out of it.. I go home and let the car sit at least overnight before I drive it to town to fill it up with gas... I've done that for years on FI cars and bikes and have never had fuel system or O2 sensor problems... Too much oil will cause the ECU to get a lean condition reading if you over do it and pump more of the oil and cleaner gas mixture through the injectors.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Chairman K, did I miss a note that you had replaced the cabin (pollen) filter?

That is an important step for max A/C effectiveness. Some owners in hot climates remove the filter entirely.

Then, I'd do a valve adjustment and an idle learn procedure.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
there are a lot of forums about mpg...

Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
And pretty much all of them are absolutely useless.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I've measured the difference with the valves. Going from the tight end of service spec (still in spec and quiet valves) to the loose end (in spec but noisier) gained a minimum of 3 mpg, although it may be more. This is the most sensitive engine I've ever come across in terms of valve lash.

I'm not kidding. Now I can drive quite aggressively and still average 36+ around town where before if I did that a friend in his avalon would beat my mileage (depressing to be bested by a 210hp 3.0L).

My valves are now checked every spring when the snow disappears.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
I've measured the difference with the valves. Going from the tight end of service spec (still in spec and quiet valves) to the loose end (in spec but noisier) gained a minimum of 3 mpg, although it may be more. This is the most sensitive engine I've ever come across in terms of valve lash.

I'm not kidding. Now I can drive quite aggressively and still average 36+ around town where before if I did that a friend in his avalon would beat my mileage (depressing to be bested by a 210hp 3.0L).

My valves are now checked every spring when the snow disappears.
I've had 45000 miles and my mpg was coming up to 43 before I sold it. Never adjusted the valves. I think a lot of the problem is carbon because the valves will stick. Having a Scan gauge help because I seen how to drive the car.

I agree on the driving aggressively and still averaging 36+, Honda motors really like to rev and become more efficient to a point at upper rpms. That also helps clean the carbon out.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I was getting as high as 39.5 when running 100 miles at 90MPH between three small towns I had to slow down and stop in and getting an average MPG of 38 when my car wasn't boosted... 37 MPG was as low as I ever saw back then driving that way along with some city driving... Mileage is getting bad lately and I am sure it's time for a valve adjustment.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
If I didn't have the cold winters my average would be close to yours. Lately the tollway has been hard to drive the speed limit. Every one driving faster that 70 in a 55 mph zone and even at 70 cars are passing like your standing still even passing in the right lane.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I agree on the driving aggressively and still averaging 36+, Honda motors really like to rev and become more efficient to a point at upper rpms. That also helps clean the carbon out.
Also helps to purge the injectors. Hi revs = long duty cycle ( "bigger squirt").

Besides, runs to redline are FUN.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy waaaay down lately