1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Hid's dont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Hid's dont turn on

Im new to owning a fit had a 94 civic that i took the hid's off then went to put them on my fit. I went to turn them on the low beam would not work but the high beam did there dual beam hid kit. does anyone know if u have to do anything to get the hid's to work on the fit or is it plug and play its a 08 sport thanks for the help

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Check that the three prong connector. Your lows and ground are probably switched. This happened to me too before I installed projectors :]

Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
My best advice is to remove them altogether. Go with a projector conversion if you need HIDs. Otherwise change to a quality bulb such as PIAA or Sylvania. Plug and Play HIDs are just blinding to others and useless mods.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree with the guy above me. Had HIDs I hated them.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM
now when yall say projecter lights are yall talking about retro

Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, thats what they are referring to. The prevailing opinion on this sight is anti-HID, pro-retro-fit. I think that comes largely from the lights not being properly aimed, but thats only my opinion.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Grtpumpkin a projector lens helps focus the hid light. While the stock headlights on a fit have reflective chrome to focus the light of a standard halogen. There is way to much back scatter, you would have to aim them really low defeating the purpose. Notice that manufactures that use hids also have a projector lens.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Are you sure the 94 civic and the fit use the same bulb type? There's multiple different bulbs and a HID kit to match them.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Yes, thats what they are referring to. The prevailing opinion on this sight is anti-PNP HID, pro-retro-fit. I think that comes largely from the lights not being properly aimed, but thats only my opinion.
Adjusted

They're all still HID.

But I agree... a clean cutoff and some aim adjustment can really change the output (reduce glare, etc)... but some folks don't care to see that. Oh well.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
A clean cut off is gorgeous on hid projectors. Like my wifes mitsu, or dads crz. On a fit with chrome housings its just plain bright. Most people run 8_10000k just for the look not for light output. That is the problem. Hid kits have became the to do thing. Check any garbage ass civic you see on ebay coilovers with steelies they have hids (its clean though right). Yeah, by pure definition rice. Its like the hellaflush shit, when will we as a community get past these"trends".

Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree that the projector retro is the proper way to add HID lighting to almost anything, including the Fit. I have a pnp on my car in both the fogs and the headlights. I chose 5K color temp, because I DO care about the output, not just the look, and my headlights are aimed fairly low. Now my car is also lower than many on Skunk2 coilovers so the combo of low aim (but not so low as to make them non-functional) and the lowness of the car means I haven't ever had any issues with my set-up. I don't get high-beamed, and folks don't flip me off in traffic because of my headlights being in their eyes. I originally chose to go the pnp route for the same reason as many, money. I haven't gone to a retro simply because I haven't had any trouble with my set-up in almost three years of use. That being said, if you can, wait, save more money and get the retro...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
back into topic... check your connectors and make sure it's connected properly... as i recall, there's only 1 way to connect the H4 connectors, small chance that you're attaching them wrong unless you forced it. so check the metal connectors and cables, ensuring they're clean and cables are intact and no damage to cable jackets... if they're all in good order, then pay attention to the ballast, since you have dual HID. When you turn it on, there should be a slight buzzing sound... if there is no sound whatsoever, then go and try another ballast... if the cables are good, the ballast is working, then lastly check your bulbs.... see if the lowbeam bulb cracked or not... i had my HID flickering and after checking all of the above, i found that the bulb's cracked. had to buy a new bulb... if that still doesn't work... i think it's time for you to go to a shop and get them checked thoroughly...

anyway... please use a projector headlamps/retrofit to go with your HID... it's heavenly blinding with the standard headlamps... even if you point it lower, it's still blinding... i installed HID both in my projector headlamp and in my foglights as well... and you know what, even if the foglights are way down in the bumpers and quite small... it's still blinding me when i stand in front of my car... i don't turn them on except when passing dark and empty highways...

Last edited by kodok3ribu; 07-07-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
I put hids in my fit for a while but hated them after about 2 weeks of people flashing me.. I want to get a retro but don't want to spend the mulah..
I had silvania silver stars or whatever they're calle in my old car and they burned up in like 2 months. Now I jar piaas and they've last a long time.
And as far as the whole trend thing goes that's how it'll always be. Not gonna lie I love seeing hellaflush vehicles but I couldn't do it to my own car because it's pointless..