1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!
View Poll Results: 1st or 2nd Generation?
1st Gen
75.00%
2nd Gen
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy 1st or 2nd Generation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Should I buy 1st or 2nd Generation?

Newbie here, just ready to purchase my first Fit. I'm looking at both a 2007 and a 2009. I can buy the '07 base model with 48K miles for 12,000 and I can buy the '09 sport (with navigation) with 33K miles for about 15,500. In today's market I think they are both good deals, with the '09 probably being the better deal. By the way they are both certified.

I'm pretty cash strapped right now, so the '07 is probably the way for me to go. However, from an aesthetic point of view I like the '09 sport much better. I realize that to some extent buying a Fit is an image thing, so I should probably buy the one I feel better driving, but my practical side is holding me back right now.

My question is... other than the obvious style differences, were there any changes made in the 2nd generation that would make it a wiser choice for me long term. I tend to keep my cars a long time, so my choicee will be with me for a while...

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sahill
Newbie here, just ready to purchase my first Fit. I'm looking at both a 2007 and a 2009. I can buy the '07 base model with 48K miles for 12,000 and I can buy the '09 sport (with navigation) with 33K miles for about 15,500. In today's market I think they are both good deals, with the '09 probably being the better deal. By the way they are both certified.

I'm pretty cash strapped right now, so the '07 is probably the way for me to go. However, from an aesthetic point of view I like the '09 sport much better. I realize that to some extent buying a Fit is an image thing, so I should probably buy the one I feel better driving, but my practical side is holding me back right now.

My question is... other than the obvious style differences, were there any changes made in the 2nd generation that would make it a wiser choice for me long term. I tend to keep my cars a long time, so my choicee will be with me for a while...

Test drive them... they will be a little different in terms of comfort vs handling. Many say that the 07 is a better handler, but the 09 would be a more comfortable ride. I never drove an 07, so I have no idea.

The 09 has 15k miles less than the 07... but in the long term, I guess it doesn't really matter too much.

But yes, you should go with the choice that is most "comfortable" to you... in looks, feel, handling, etc. Because you ARE the one that's going to be using it.

That's it for my unbiased opinion.

As for my biased opinion... I have a '10, so go with 09!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
My opion would be this. If you plan to modify it go with the 07 due to the availability of aftermarket parts. If modifying is not your thing go with the 09 due to newer and resale with navi. 09 does not have many options for modifying such as intake, exhaust, etc.

The 09 is larger inside and out. I test drove a 10 before I bought my 08. Both drive and handle about the same. 09 is heavier. Also I think ( but dont quote me ) the 09 can hold more weight as discussed in your other thread.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bthasht
The 09 is larger inside and out.
Do you have any information on just how much larger cargo capacity the 2nd Gen is over the 1st?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 PM
^^^Wish I could help there, but I have no actual documents to show. However I can say we test drove a 2010 Sport of the showroom and loved it. My wife sat in back seat while me and dealer were in front. She had plenty of leg room to move around. We then test drove used 2008, and same deal she sat in back. She was not happy with leg room then.

I know if you side by side the two generations the new Fit is larger in height and length. However cargo room I can not confirm to you on. That is a measurement thing you should do before decideing.

I went with first gen only because of moddifing reasons. My wife is barely in my car, and kids on some occasions. This is my fun DD. For the family we take her car with all the bells and whistles.

So in conclusion, I would buy the 09 if I were you. Only because the base model is just that BASE. The 09 you describe must be a sport with navi, and I feel you would be happier with this choice.

So lets judge it by that. If that does not work for you GO FOR THE COLOR

Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
In the long term I would probably go with the 09. The seats are more supportive and they have the dead pedal to rest your foot on. I just can't get over the prices on used fits though. Brand new the sticker price on my car was $15,900.

I like the improved functionality of the magic seats in the 09. You don't have to mess around with removing the rear head rests or moving the front seat up to put the rear seats down.

Considering the difference in models between a base and a sport w/navi, the newer model year and lower miles the difference in price is about right. You're going to pay for what you get. They're both great cars so just go with your gut!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sahill

We get all the years models in here and there isn't much difference really.
I think you need to evaluate both cars carefully and with some independent checks from a good source. The stand out difference is the 07 base model is lesser of the 09 sport because the sport is a better model. Perhaps though you should let your cash potential decide on the 07 only if it is in better condition; otherwise its the 09. As far as how far your cash goes you will probably get a longer loan period on the 09 and hence lower monthly payments. The longer loan is justifiable based on the lower mileage and later model.
good luck.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
This is my opinion on the GD3 alone. I think this car is over priced for what they are looking for. I bought my 07 Sport as a certified pre-owned still with 3 years warranty and 64K miles for $12K out the door. So I feel like they are over pricing you here.

Without throwing in a whole GD3 vs GE8 debate, i have a GD3 and my best friend a GE8. i know as a fact the GD3 handles better, so if you live in the mountains like i do and drive twisties all day long GD3 is the better car. In terms of "family usage" and comfort of seats and driving positions, GE8 is the better car.
Now with this in mind you might have a better insight on which is better suitted for you, but I can tell you this: if you do like the GD3 more, look around more. This place selling you the car doesnt sound like they are giving you a fair deal. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Ended up buying the '09 w/ nav for 15,200. so far I love it! Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
should have got the first gen congrats on the Fit