1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

My old girl she broke trouble guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM
My old girl she broke :( trouble guys

Hey mornin everyone im having some trouble with my old girl here my dad was driving her for a while I was planning to take her back since i didnt really need a car while in school but the other day while driving he said he heard a pop and the car started sounding like a jet engine. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak something to do with the stock headers after I put them back in i really feel like I didnt do a good job a year back but she ran since. I have some pics of the problem any suggestions would be great thanks.

Last edited by bigtymer8700; 06-23-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Name:  fit2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  fit1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
did it blow out a spark plug? Or wait did the coil pack break?

Last edited by MNfit; 06-23-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
yea coil C looks like it blew off while they where on the highway. So is the rest of it still in there? or did it desintergrate lol? I was going to try and take it to the shop but could I just buy a new coil and pop it in there or do I have to break it down see whats going on inside?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
what do you mean by jet engine sound? did it continue to drive without coil c?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
yea they made it home alright and i turned it on to move it this morning so I can take a better look at it. When they told me it sounded like a jet I thought it was something with the exhaust but when I looked by the headers thats when I saw it just dangling off

Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Do you recommend a tools to get the rest of that piece out? I know its not attatched to the spark plug but I'm sure its snug in there

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Nvm I think everything blew out the hole. I think even the spark plug

Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
this is a pic inside. I dont see any pieces of the coil in there but i can't tell if their is a spark plug in there or not. I tried one of the other spark plugs and i can get it in there but it will not tigthen in like something is in the way or as if there was no thread. Help please

Name:  inside.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.3 KB

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Tap it out 1st using a shop vac to help suckup any shavings. As you said it was driven so it sounds like your ok in the cylinder. install a new set of plugs and a ciol pack & you should be good2go. Check the rest of the plugs i've heard of this b4 here when a plug loosens up and flys out!
GLWR. keep us updated
Big Mike

Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I was reading through some other thread and found this one that occured on a 09 https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-only-38k.html

I am wondering if the same thing happen to mines. But I think the spark plug or a piece is still in there melted or broken because I cant pull anything out with the socket and I cant put in another spark plug. man I really want this car back lol I hope she will be alright. I will try to clean it out with a vaccumm see if anything comes out. Thanks Perrenoud

Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
nothing seems to want to come out blah I think ima have to dish out some cash to the stealership because I cant seem to figure out if the sprk plug is still in. Since my parents drove the car like 10 miles after it happened could the spark plug have melted or just blown off as well? I know the pic isnt very well but it does look like something is on the walls.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible for a spark plug to split in two? The threaded portion of the body vs everything else? Maybe they were overtightened and that separated the two parts, leaving the threaded portion stuck in there.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I had a somewhat similar issue with my 09 (62k). Car lost power and barely made it off the highway. Would start but would stall within seconds...

Dealership blamed my overoiled kN filter for ruining my MAF sensor and in turn my packs and sparkplugs.

Currently I've sent all the parts (except plugs, they were tossed even though I asked for them) to kn for forensic review to determin if the filter could have done it.

Be careful when going to the dealership: if you got a drop in, put an oem in.

Also for everyone here: my cel never came on, codes showed random firing in all cylinders...shouldn't issues like this result in a check engine light?

I'm thinking to periodically drop by autozone to pull codes just in case there are other issues that don't result in cel right away...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Looks to me like that plug is long gone. And the reason you can't get another one to thread in is the same reaon the OE went bye-bye in the first place. The threads have been ripped out of the head. Had you replaced the spark plugs yourself at some point in the past?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Tapping the threads with the head on the engine is... well, foolish at best. It sucks to do, but you need to pull the head OFF the block so that NO cuttings fall down into the cylinder. Even microscopic pieces that fall in can end up causing cylinder wall scoring or ring damage - meaning an even bigger job down the road a few months.

If you've never messed with the plugs, then this should fall under the powertrain warranty - at least look into it before doing any work yourself.

This is a significant amount of work, especially if the head is completely stripped - either the head will need replacement or a good machine shop can repair yours.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
i appreciate everyones responses yea im sure it would cost a pretty penny to take off the head and see what happened inside. Im sure its either stripped or just completely torn up in there because I feel like when I put the other spark plug in there its loose and doesnt even catch thread when trying to tighten.
I have a friend and another friend that I hope can come by and supervise me as I work on her as they are more mech inclined than I am its been a while since ive worked on this car or any car in fact. So I will get back to everyone on Monday when I go to my parents house again.... So sad only owe 5k on it but my dad wants to stop paying it and I cant take over payments yet damn school and wedding rings lol.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
A plug blowing out more than likely would be due to it being over torqued when installed... The idea that an overly oiled air cleaner would be the cause is pure chicken shit... The air cleaner oil if very excessive would bring down the octane of the air/fuel mixture but the ECU would of pulled back the timing enough to correct for that if that was the case unless there was also very contaminated low octane fuel in the tank as well... I use an oiled K&N type filter, I'm guessing about twice the wheel horsepower of what my car originally came with with 38000 miles on my car, 16000 with a supercharger and have had no problems.... The only way that I have ever seen a plug blow out taking all if the threads with them has been from some one over tightening the plug... It was pretty common on old air cooled VW engines back in the days that almost all cars had cast iron heads.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Love ur honesty Tex!

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
A plug blowing out more than likely would be due to it being over torqued when installed... The idea that an overly oiled air cleaner would be the cause is pure chicken shit... The air cleaner oil if very excessive would bring down the octane of the air/fuel mixture but the ECU would of pulled back the timing enough to correct for that if that was the case unless there was also very contaminated low octane fuel in the tank as well... I use an oiled K&N type filter, I'm guessing about twice the wheel horsepower of what my car originally came with with 38000 miles on my car, 16000 with a supercharger and have had no problems.... The only way that I have ever seen a plug blow out taking all if the threads with them has been from some one over tightening the plug... It was pretty common on old air cooled VW engines back in the days that almost all cars had cast iron heads.
" The idea that an overly oiled air cleaner would be the cause is pure chicken shit..."
Don't Dance around the subject just tell it like it is Dee
Love ya man
Mikee

Old 06-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Nothin but the truth too^^

Quick Reply: My old girl she broke trouble guys