1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Master clutch fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Master clutch fail

Today i was driving my 07 MR FIT, suddenly went to changer gears.... little to no pedal for the clutch. couldnt changer gears, i started to pump the clutch and i could take it out of gear and off the freeway, i check for a bad slave... nothing yet, fluid is normal level no leaks, no damage to anything. drive-train is stock anyway. at 15k i had the clutch fluid changed by Honda... Im at 35k now (after 3yrs). clutch may be worn... but it feels like the master cylinder... anyone have this problem yet? Im taking the car into the dealership tomorrow for "extended warranty coverage" or at least what i may have waited my money on when i purchased my car.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
werd... mine is 26K miles original fluid original clutch, no issue...

i guess if the slave is okay it has to be the master. so no leaks, huh? hummm...

Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
It could be from an accumulation of moisture in the fluid... The warmer temperatures and driving in traffic where you are stopping and starting a lot could be heating up the fluid in the slave cylinder and causing the water to become steam that is compressing when you push the pedal down and expanding enough when the pedal is out to cause the clutch to slip... I noticed my clutch slipping some yesterday and it seems to not be fully disengaging at times when I am down shifting so I know I'll be purging the system and replacing fluid very soon... I need to do the brakes too.. I'm at 37,750 miles.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 AM
hai friends i am new to this red the information.........

Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It could be from an accumulation of moisture in the fluid... The warmer temperatures and driving in traffic where you are stopping and starting a lot could be heating up the fluid in the slave cylinder and causing the water to become steam that is compressing when you push the pedal down and expanding enough when the pedal is out to cause the clutch to slip... I noticed my clutch slipping some yesterday and it seems to not be fully disengaging at times when I am down shifting so I know I'll be purging the system and replacing fluid very soon... I need to do the brakes too.. I'm at 37,750 miles.
You may have had a bad slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder...Failure in these cylinders can be due to internal or external seal leak. Do inspect it both then replace or rebuild if it is leaking. Try to depress the clutch pedal while have someone to watch the brake fluid reservoir level. Your clutch master cylinder is bad if the clutch pedal is being depressed and the level rises. You should fix it or replace it.

Last edited by jeon; 05-30-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Replace the clutch cylinder and bleed the system for air.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by da9r00d
Today i was driving my 07 MR FIT, suddenly went to changer gears.... little to no pedal for the clutch. couldnt changer gears, i started to pump the clutch and i could take it out of gear and off the freeway, i check for a bad slave... nothing yet, fluid is normal level no leaks, no damage to anything. drive-train is stock anyway. at 15k i had the clutch fluid changed by Honda... Im at 35k now (after 3yrs). clutch may be worn... but it feels like the master cylinder... anyone have this problem yet? Im taking the car into the dealership tomorrow for "extended warranty coverage" or at least what i may have waited my money on when i purchased my car.
Its not unheard of for the slave or master cylinder seal (on the piston pushrod) to 'break' and then there is no acuation of the clutch. Hold the clutch pedal in and see if the clutch arm is depressed too. If it is, the clutch is bad but except for draggers not aware of the clutch going that suddenly.
Its possible too that the slave cylinder mouinting has loosened or otherwise mismounted so the slave piston arm doesn't line up with the clutch arm (called the fork arm) as its only a pushrod not fastened to the arm.One of my guys says the piston seal isn't replaceable but requires a new master cylinder. Figures. In other words, don't know if the cylinders themselves are rebuidable.
PS we aren't talking about the honda designated master cylinder seal, which is only a gasket. Nor are we talking about the Orings on connections but on the seal on the piston pushrod.