1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Maintenance minder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by D50boy
Yep, change the oil and start the MM at 100%. My car does a lot of highway so mine pops on at +-7200 mile intervals. I use Mobil1 5W20 with a PureOne PL14610 filter
+1, my oil changes cost less than $30 and i still have enough left over for the lawnmower

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KyleB
Keep track of your services on your own. Decide what intervals are best for you and your use of the car. Treat the MM as a nuisance, and immediately reset it per the owners manual. You should decide what the car gets and when it gets it, not the other way around!

:flamesuiton

Uhhhh... the MM monitors and calculates all the different variances of the car and makes the best recommendations based on the data it collects. Way better than human guesswork.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
In other words, your car is smarter than you are. Don't feel bad, it's smarter than most people. Have you seen the internet?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Keep track of your services on your own. Decide what intervals are best for you and your use of the car. Treat the MM as a nuisance, and immediately reset it per the owners manual. You should decide what the car gets and when it gets it, not the other way around!

:flamesuiton
In terms of being able to monitor the internal operating conditions of the engine, yes my car's computer is smarter than me (and you)... since I don't own several thousand $ of diagnostic equipment.

With my Chevy truck, I know to change the oil around 5k miles, air filter when it's dirty, plugs & wires when it runs rough, trans fluid when it starts shifting hard, brakes when they squeal, tires when they're bald, belts when they start cracking, etc...

Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by kakrohn
Uhhhh... the MM monitors and calculates all the different variances of the car and makes the best recommendations based on the data it collects. Way better than human guesswork.
But not better than oil changes with Mobil1 exactly 5,000 miles after the last one.

In terms of being able to monitor the internal operating conditions of the engine, yes my car's computer is smarter than me (and you)... since I don't own several thousand $ of diagnostic equipment.
Do you always reply twice to the same post?

BTW, OBD2 scan tools are very cheap these days, and your human critical thinking and reasoning skills are free - no need to spend thousands

Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
But not better than oil changes with Mobil1 exactly 5,000 miles after the last one.

Do you always reply twice to the same post?

BTW, OBD2 scan tools are very cheap these days, and your human critical thinking and reasoning skills are free - no need to spend thousands
Wasn't the same post, it was in reply to your omment.

And SURE, OBD2 scanners are cheap... but that's not what the MM does. In order to find an issue, even with the MM you'd still need the scannner.

And you can put new Mobil1 in every 100 miles if you want to, but it's a waste of money... just like changing it every 5k, if it doesn't need it. If the oil is still good until 8k, then why waste the $. You're talking about throwing several hundred dollars out the window over the course of a few years, just so you feel good. So while you waste your money on your "free" human critical thinking and reasoning skills, I'll be saving that money by following the MM.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Wasn't the same post, it was in reply to your omment.

And SURE, OBD2 scanners are cheap... but that's not what the MM does. In order to find an issue, even with the MM you'd still need the scannner.

And you can put new Mobil1 in every 100 miles if you want to, but it's a waste of money... just like changing it every 5k, if it doesn't need it. If the oil is still good until 8k, then why waste the $. You're talking about throwing several hundred dollars out the window over the course of a few years, just so you feel good. So while you waste your money on your "free" human critical thinking and reasoning skills, I'll be saving that money by following the MM.
Basically what you're saying is I'm not wrong, we just approach the same problem differently. Fair enough!

cheers,

Kyle