1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Just bought an '08 Fit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Just bought an '08 Fit.

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2008 Fit and so far I really like it. One of my main concerns was that it has 110,000 miles on it but I was told that's not much for the vtec engine. Still, it seems like a lot for a 3 year old car but it drives very smoothly. I'll be getting a carfax report on it shortly. Also, I was wondering how to change the rear windshield wiper blade as it seems like it's been on there for a while and could stand to be replaced. Are there any quirks about this car that I should be concerned with? I'm hoping I bought a nice, reliable car that will last me a few years.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Grats on the buy but I'm just curious, why didn't you get Carfax BEFORE you buy the car?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
That is a lot of miles for an 08. Mine has 70K and I drive over 100 miles a day. If it was well maintained, it should be fine. The wiper blade has a refill available from the dealer. They're pretty inexpensive. You just have to take it out and replace the rubber blade. Front blades had a redesign from 07 to 08. Be sure to get the correct refills.

There have been two recalls on this generation- you may want to check into getting them done if they haven't been already. One is for the drivers window switch- if the window is down when it rains/snows, water could get in and short possibly causing a fire. The other is a connector under the dash that could overheat and cause your low beam headlights to stop working. The only big "problem" that I know about on the Fits are the coils on the spark plugs dying randomly on some people. I've never had it happen, but some folks here have. You have 4 of them and they can cost about $70 each. They don't all have to be replaced at the same time, only the one that goes bad.

I'd recommend a Zeta Products dead pedal foot rest. I got one last week and it's pretty nice! Costs about $50. Get new factory Iridium plugs too since it is over 100K.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Agelee
Grats on the buy but I'm just curious, why didn't you get Carfax BEFORE you buy the car?
I didn't think to get the carfax at the time. I think I was too caught up with buying a new car that I forgot to ask for it but I will be getting it on april 15 when I go back to pick up my registration paperwork.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D50boy
That is a lot of miles for an 08. Mine has 70K and I drive over 100 miles a day. If it was well maintained, it should be fine. The wiper blade has a refill available from the dealer. They're pretty inexpensive. You just have to take it out and replace the rubber blade. Front blades had a redesign from 07 to 08. Be sure to get the correct refills.

There have been two recalls on this generation- you may want to check into getting them done if they haven't been already. One is for the drivers window switch- if the window is down when it rains/snows, water could get in and short possibly causing a fire. The other is a connector under the dash that could overheat and cause your low beam headlights to stop working. The only big "problem" that I know about on the Fits are the coils on the spark plugs dying randomly on some people. I've never had it happen, but some folks here have. You have 4 of them and they can cost about $70 each. They don't all have to be replaced at the same time, only the one that goes bad.

I'd recommend a Zeta Products dead pedal foot rest. I got one last week and it's pretty nice! Costs about $50. Get new factory Iridium plugs too since it is over 100K.
I'll see about checking out a dealer for the wiper blade this weekend. I already replaced the front blades with some Bosch blades I got at walmart. I was reading a few threads about mileage and some people on here have over 250k miles on their '07 Fit's so I guess 110k on my '08 shouldn't be too bad. This is my first Honda and I know about their reputation for being reliable. Once I get the carfax report I'll see what type of maintenance might need to be done. I was told the battery was just replaced on March 15 along with the serpentine belt and oil and lube.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM
You may need a timing belt, water pump while your at it, spark plugs, and valve clearance adjustment at 100k if my memory serves right.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitanista
You may need a timing belt, water pump while your at it, spark plugs, and valve clearance adjustment at 100k if my memory serves right.
Fits have a timing chain. I believe it really shouldn't need to be serviced for the lifetime of the motor. Valve adjustment should probably be done.

Another recommendation is the Progress rear sway bar. Very worthwhile and such an easy installation.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 AM
my 08 had 64k on it when i bought it. more than i wanted but finding a GD sport is like finding a real corolla xrs (not that pig they sell now). just not many out there for sale so i jumped when this thing was listed. helped that is was 1k under book even with the higher mileage.

i've put a k&n filter on it and got the honda all weather floor mats so far. going to put the jdm console in (with armrest), mugen window visors, and some seat covers. not sold on the rear sway bar yet.

one thing i've noticed and is getting checked next week when i take it into honda to get the other 2 recalls done (3 recalls in total, airbag, window switch, and low beam lights: this one had the airbag done already) is that the coolant seems low. it never fills up the reservoir but it's not leaking and not in the oil so i have no idea where it went...... anyone here know?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
So my car is a hard to find one? That's pretty awesome, I didn't even know. What does GD stand for? I kinda like it stock so I plan on keeping it that way at least for a while. What does the rear sway bar do and why would I want to change it? I'm a n00b when it comes to car mechanics. All I know is how to hit the gas pedal.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lason
So my car is a hard to find one? That's pretty awesome, I didn't even know. What does GD stand for? I kinda like it stock so I plan on keeping it that way at least for a while. What does the rear sway bar do and why would I want to change it? I'm a n00b when it comes to car mechanics. All I know is how to hit the gas pedal.
Since you like hitting the gas pedal, here's a simple cheap mod many of us found very effective and eases the driving position quite a bit. For your other questions, just search the forum. Enjoy your ride!

diy-how-stiffen-gd3-drive-wire-gas-pedal

Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by sword9mm

one thing i've noticed and is getting checked next week when i take it into honda to get the other 2 recalls done (3 recalls in total, airbag, window switch, and low beam lights: this one had the airbag done already) is that the coolant seems low. it never fills up the reservoir but it's not leaking and not in the oil so i have no idea where it went...... anyone here know?
Pull the plugs (takes no time really) just to make sure they aren't white. If they are you are buning coolant and the head gasket will most likely need replaced. Do you need to keep re-filling the coolant? If so how much do you replace? And every how many miles?

Also to the OP CONGRATS on the new purchase!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Since you like hitting the gas pedal, here's a simple cheap mod many of us found very effective and eases the driving position quite a bit. For your other questions, just search the forum. Enjoy your ride!

diy-how-stiffen-gd3-drive-wire-gas-pedal
I've looked all over and couldn't find what GD or GE mean. I guess just telling me would have been too easy.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh shit hahaha sorry I totally missed that question you had too! GD3 is something like a code that is used for your year fit. I believe its 01-09 fit/jazz and the 09+ fit is the GE8.

I know that older honda civics for examples had codes such as EG 92-95 and Ek 96-00. Hope this clears up your question

Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
I've looked all over and couldn't find what GD or GE mean. I guess just telling me would have been too easy.
Here you go lason, posted by Snap Fit. Here's the Thread link:
Fit Freak Newbie/FAQ

Originally Posted by Snap Fit
This thread is for everyone, not just new people and it's meant to serve the simple and possibly enjoyable task of familiarizing people with some of the specific (or not) language found on this site.
I am by no means an authority on this, but with help from members this should be decently comprehensive. The format will probably change and the info will grow! so stay tuned and feel free to pitch in...thanks , and if you feel like repping...then who am I to stop you...heehee
(I live in the US so its going to start off biased until I receive some help...just a heads up)
I am starting off simple and we will see how the momentum grows

so without further ado.....

More or Less Fit specific-

FS- Fit Sport
BOM- Blaze Orange Metallic
LMM- Lunar Mist Metallic
MR- Milano Red
NBP or NHBP- Nighthawk Black Pearl
SSM- Storm Silver Metallic
TW- Taffeta White
VBP- Vivid Blue Pearl
BBP or BP- Blackberry Pearl
BAP- Black Amethyst Pearl
TBM- Tidewater Blue Metallic
FF- FitFreak or FitFreak.net
RS- Road Sailing
L15/L15A- Fits engine code (usdm type I believe, highest hp model)
GD1 - 1.3 L L13A I4 engine 2WD
GD2 - 1.3 L L13A I4 engine 4WD (Japan only)
GD3 - 1.5 L L15A I4 engine 2WD
GD4 - 1.5 L L15A I4 engine 4WD (Japan only)
GD5 - 1.2 L L12A I4 engine 2WD (Europe only)

General/Commonly found on FF-

JDM- Japanese Domestic Market
USDM- United States Domestic Market
EUDM or EDM- European Domestic Market
IMO- In My Opinion
IMHO- In My Humble Opinion or In My Honest Opinion
WTF- What The
FTW- For The Win or oddly enough- The World
FTL- For The Loss, For The Losers
WOOT- I don't have a darn clue...(that's not what it means...I literally don't have a darn clue)
ROFLMAO- Rolling on the Floor Laughing My @$$ Off (maybe someone still doesn't know)
PITA- Pain In The A$$
Bump- is/means to post in a thread to specifically keep it high up on the forum listing (as in most active)
OP- Original Post or Orignal Poster
PM- Private Message
IBTL- In Before The Lock
FS- For Sale
WTB- Want To Buy
TW- Testing Waters or Trades Welcome
PO- part out or parting out
Rep- stands for Reputation or Reputation point
FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions
Newbs- refers to someone who is new and/or inexperienced
Newbie- refers to someone who is new and/or inexperienced
Noob- refers to someone who is new and/or inexperienced
Green- refers to someone who is inexperienced
Seasoned- someone who is very experienced
IDK- I Dont Know
IRL- In Real Life
ORLY- Oh Really
iifc- If I Remember Correctly
Avatar- Its the picture representing the user (call sign, to the left of the user name if present)
Sig- Signature (the part at the bottom of your post that you personalize)

Fit and General Automotive-

GD3- is the chassis code for 07-08 USDM Fits
GE8- is the chassis code for 09+ USDM Fits
CC- Cruise Control
MT- Manual Transmission
AT- Automatic Transmission
RPM- Revolutions Per Minute
HP- Horse Power
CVT- Continuously Variable Transmission
CV- Constant Velocity, mostly as in constant velocity joints
DBW- Drive By Wire
OBD or OBDI- On Board Diagnostic (first generation 1991 on...)
OBDII- second generation On Board Diagnostic (1996 on...)
IAT- Intake Air Temperature (sensor)
MAP- Manifold Absolute Pressure (sensor)
A/F- Air, Fuel
VTEC- a type of modulated valve timing on Hondas
HFP- Honda Factory Performance
Mugen- an aftermarket performance vendor for Honda ("Mugen" means "Without Limit")
Spoon- an aftermarket performance vendor for Honda
WOT- Wide Open Throttle
FI- Forced Induction (like turbos and superchargers)
BOV- Blow Off Valve
CAI- Cold Air Intake
SR- Short Ram
FMIC- Front Mount Intercooler
FF- Front wheel drive and/or Front wheel/ Front motor
FWD- Front wheel drive
Cat- Catalytic Converter
HID- High Intensity Discharge
HUD- Heads Up Display
RSB- Rear Sway Bar
c/o- coilovers
LSD- Limited Slip Differential
Rims- The wheels on your car
Shoes- The wheels/tires on your car
AVN - Audio Video Navigation
GPS - Global Positioning System (navigation aid)
FMC- Full Model Change
MMC- Mid Model Change

Common and Random Misc.-

LED- Light Emitting Diode
LCD- Liquid Crystal Display
Snap Fit- a type of plastic model kit and/or a really cool FF.net member *big smile*

well....its a start...now lets see who wants to impove/add to it
I will update/correct in this post...

...and I am new to much of the net specific stuff too... if it wasn't
painfully obvious

to be continued....

Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by RobTurbo
Pull the plugs (takes no time really) just to make sure they aren't white. If they are you are buning coolant and the head gasket will most likely need replaced. Do you need to keep re-filling the coolant? If so how much do you replace? And every how many miles?

Also to the OP CONGRATS on the new purchase!
i've not put any in it yet since i'm not sure what type it takes. i'm assuming the red dexcool? i come from a saturn and you can put anything in that bugger.

trying to find an airfilter was maddening and why i just opted for the k@n online. checked about 5 places and no one had a regular paper filter in stock nor wipers it seems.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2008 Fit and so far I really like it. One of my main concerns was that it has 110,000 miles on it but I was told that's not much for the vtec engine. Still, it seems like a lot for a 3 year old car but it drives very smoothly. I'll be getting a carfax report on it shortly. Also, I was wondering how to change the rear windshield wiper blade as it seems like it's been on there for a while and could stand to be replaced. Are there any quirks about this car that I should be concerned with? I'm hoping I bought a nice, reliable car that will last me a few years.

congrats!! i picked up an 08 as well just a couple months ago. Honestly since being born and raised with hondas that type of mileage isnt too worry unless the car has been abused but that is my opinion. I just picked up mine with 54k, not exactly the color i wanted but what can you expect when your buying used. I can repaint in the future. But I plan on checking out the great things you can put on your beast!! haha i just upgraded to 8k HIDs and love em.

well just stopping by to say hello to another Fit owner, especially another recent owner that is.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
the only issue i'm having with my 08 is the radio has the worst reception i have ever known. even in the middle of the city stations will fuzz out under overpasses and stuff.

is there a better antenna or something i can get? i'd hate to have to rip the whole thing out for an aftermarket if that's even possible with these built in things (curses to the manu's on that)..

Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
i bought an 07 with 100k on it. dealer wanted 12,500 for it..got it for 8200 plys tax/tag/title. was way more than i intended to pay...