1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Proper Towing procedures for the GD3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Proper Towing procedures for the GD3?

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering what the proper towing procedures are for the Fit. I was in an accident a couple months ago and when i said the car is a 2007 Honda Fit they told me that it needs to be towed on a flatbed

However, last weekend my car was towed from a friends apartment parking lot for not parking in a visitors parking space and they damaged my front bumper, broke the clips, and the shop is even saying that they messed up my rear bearing (I let them know that the car was making a humming noise and shaking when i went 60+ mph after I picked the car up from the towing companys lot)

The towing company (Dominion Towing) is saying that the Fit doesnt need to be towed on a flatbed and that they are not liable for the damages.

I wanted you guys' input on this because I am considering taking them to court.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Towing companies don't care about using proper towing techniques. They just want the kings ransom you have to pay to get your car back. You might want to check state regulations to see if there is anything limiting their liability for damages.

Honda should have their recommended way in the owners manual though.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
if your low a flat bed. if not just regular tow truck. i would get a free conceltation with a lawyer. see what he says. did you sign any paper work? if yes is there a disclaimer saying they would not be responsable for any damages?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Flatbed is not required as long as the drive wheels (front on the fits) are off the ground. It is the tow company's responsibility to determine correctness of equipment for the job, and THEIR INSURANCE is on the hook for any damage they cause. You could not have consented to any particular method prior to their seizure of your vehicle. I would go to a body shop and talk to them about costs to repair, and mention that it was caused by the tow company. I bet that they will have heard this before, and will know just who to call to get things straightened out for you. The complex that you were towed from may also be liable insurance-wise, as they were the ones who initiated the tow. Good luck!!