1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

fit mpg - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nc73
It would appear that the previous owner just did an oil change not too long ago. Think I will keep my Jetta after seeing how the fit performs in traffic. I did think about getting a brand new Fit but oh well.
Go to a Honda dealer and ask for a print out of the service preformed. I get that before buying any used car. Its will tell all maintenance and warranty problems. You can see all the customer complaints to the car. It will give you a good idea to whats going on.

If the valves were adjusted it would be there in the history. Look for the 30000 mile, 60000 maintenance.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Go to a Honda dealer and ask for a print out of the service preformed. I get that before buying any used car. Its will tell all maintenance and warranty problems. You can see all the customer complaints to the car. It will give you a good idea to whats going on.

If the valves were adjusted it would be there in the history. Look for the 30000 mile, 60000 maintenance.
Wouldn't maintenance items show up in the service log? One i have appears pretty much empty. Other than oil, no other maintenance items were done. It will be going in for 3 recalls items though.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Silver I just switched over to Sunoco 93. I'll be watching the trims.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Wouldn't maintenance items show up in the service log? One i have appears pretty much empty. Other than oil, no other maintenance items were done. It will be going in for 3 recalls items though.
If maintenance was done at a dealer it would. I am surprised they didn't do a 60000 mile service before selling the car. It doesn't cost them that much, unless you didn't buy from a Honda dealer.

They should have done the recall too, before selling the car.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Silver I just switched over to Sunoco 93. I'll be watching the trims.
I am getting gas later today and will update later. I found this Fuel Octane Ratings & Recommendations Look at the 9 to 1 or less 87 and we have 10.4-10.5 compression.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I really think something is up with the Fit. I just read an old forum post dated 2007 and many people stated the same mileage figures for automatics! There's something wrong there. I will try premium next fillup though if it doesn't improve by a few mpg.
With the cost of premium fuel now, even if you did get a few more MPG with it, chances are you'd wind up spending more $$$ per gallon.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking you meant $$$/mile. It's a number that many don't even consider but should, good point.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Lets say your getting 30 mpg regular. 3 dollars a gallon 30 dollars 10 gallons and 300 miles. premium 3.24, 32.40 for 10 gallons. MPG went up to 32.8 (BP typical). Now how far would the .8 regular take you 24 miles and premium 28 so saved a few penny and a better running car. Mid grade is a good too.

I like the way my cars run on premium so mpg is a second advantage to me.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Most likely user error Bf's fit is giving us 35-40mph no problem, in cold MN.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
i've searched around and most forums say mpg actually decreases when switching to premium unless your car specifically required premium. i guess it could be different on the fit? will have to experiment.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
i've searched around and most forums say mpg actually decreases when switching to premium unless your car specifically required premium. i guess it could be different on the fit? will have to experiment.
Not true, I have never seen a decrease. The difference between the cars that require premium and regular is the money for the car. Knock retard will cause the motor to burn more gas. Premium is just that no knock and the motor runs like its suppose to do. Here is good reading to get you up to speed https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html .

Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
So got a used fit for the wife. it's an 07 sport AT at 69k miles. First fill up was wednesday and only got 215 miles right when the light came on. Yes there's a lot of traffic in this area but it's not all city driving so what gives? I'd guess it is 50/50 hwy/stop n go. I think I calculated the mpg to be 25 which is below epa. I can do the same drive and get 39mpg on my jetta tdi automatic. Tires are 34 rear and 36 front. Changed the air filter and tranny fluid today so we'll see if it improves any. I honestly think the wife has a lead foot.

Trying to gage mpg by the fuel gage is a losing propostion. Wait'll you fill up with odometer miles divided by the fill up gallons to find mpg.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Trying to gage mpg by the fuel gage is a losing propostion. Wait'll you fill up with odometer miles divided by the fill up gallons to find mpg.
yup i did use actual mileage, 216 miles on 8.6 gallons. now that's horrible for a fit. right now it's it's at 3/4 with 78 miles on it. i know the tank is smaller but my jetta's needle would still be at the full mark at that mileage. this is with mostly hwy. the last tank was some hwy and major traffic.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
yup i did use actual mileage, 216 miles on 8.6 gallons. now that's horrible for a fit. right now it's it's at 3/4 with 78 miles on it. i know the tank is smaller but my jetta's needle would still be at the full mark at that mileage. this is with mostly hwy. the last tank was some hwy and major traffic.
car gas gauges arent accurate. it may take 200 miles to get to the mid way point then another 100 to empty

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
So got a used fit for the wife. it's an 07 sport AT at 69k miles. First fill up was wednesday and only got 215 miles right when the light came on. Yes there's a lot of traffic in this area but it's not all city driving so what gives? I'd guess it is 50/50 hwy/stop n go. I think I calculated the mpg to be 25 which is below epa. I can do the same drive and get 39mpg on my jetta tdi automatic. Tires are 34 rear and 36 front. Changed the air filter and tranny fluid today so we'll see if it improves any. I honestly think the wife has a lead foot.
Think I found your MPG problems.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-27-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Are you trolling?

You are comparing a TDI with a larger tank and different gearing to an AT Fit.

On top of that, the gauge has little to do with how much is actually in the tank in most cases. I usually see 70miles before the needle crosses over the F on the gauge, and then halfway at 190, 3/4 tank comes up at 220.

You should've posted this in the Eco sub forum as well, where had you performed a cursory search you could find more than a few ways to better your fuel economy.

As far as other forums and their discussions on premium... 98% of the "info" and "advice" I read from people posting on the internet is so far off the mark I don't even know where to start. Fuel discussions are often a joke when most people only recognize the "octane" or "cetane" ratings for gas/diesel and have no idea what they mean, how the rating is derived or what other constituents are involved, let alone what the ECU does with the fuel and what happens in the combustion chamber.

There are so many variable involved in returned fuel economy it will make your head spin. These threads hurt to read.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-27-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
trolling for answers? yes. if you're trying to say if i was just bs'ing, no. no matter how you slice it the location of the gauge needles matter. yes it does change after it reaches a certain point but it's still a good indicator if your driving routine is the same. if it wasn't any good none of us would use it. for a car that's suppose to get 31mpg city, i'd expect 31 and no less. i've seen quite the opposite really, alot of internet postings are helpful if you know what you're looking for and are not a complete idiot. if it was so unreliable we wouldn't need google. in any case i probably have a lemon on my hands. honda just isn't what they use to be.

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Are you trolling?

You are comparing a TDI with a larger tank and different gearing to an AT Fit.

On top of that, the gauge has little to do with how much is actually in the tank in most cases. I usually see 70miles before the needle crosses over the F on the gauge, and then halfway at 190, 3/4 tank comes up at 220.

You should've posted this in the Eco sub forum as well, where had you performed a cursory search you could find more than a few ways to better your fuel economy.

As far as other forums and their discussions on premium... 98% of the "info" and "advice" I read from people posting on the internet is so far off the mark I don't even know where to start. Fuel theory and practice is a joke when most people only recognize the "octane" or "cetane" ratings for gas/diesel and have no idea what they mean or what other constituents are involved, let alone what the ECU does with the fuel and what happens in the combustion chamber.

There are so many variable involved in returned fuel economy it will make your head spin. These threads hurt to read.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
car gas gauges arent accurate. it may take 200 miles to get to the mid way point then another 100 to empty
yup and that's why i calculate mpg after a fillup. it would be great if it did get 200 midway. i'd be jumping up and down but it's not gonna happen.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
i get 200miles at midway, then again i dont have a lead foot or an automatic

Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
If it looks and smells like BS, it usually is. I don't have to taste it to find out...

You just can't ignorantly "expect no less than 31mpg" when it's the mainly the driver, followed by the environment, fuel quality and commute that make the biggest impacts on economy. I highly doubt you have a lemon.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: fit mpg - disappointed